IGNORED

Snowstorm - Shovel All at Once or in Shifts?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Snowstorm - Do You Prefer to Shovel All at Once or in Shifts?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Snowstorm - Do You Prefer to Shovel All at Once or in Shifts?

• All at once
    • Shifts

Even though there's already 6 inches of snow since I shoveled in the morning, I prefer to space it out rather than do it all at once. There might be individual circumstances where I'll change it up, but I think it makes it easier. This is assuming you're doing it by hand.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to Snowstorm - Shovel All at Once or in Shifts?

Mostly all in one shot. I take a couple of 10 minute breaks during the process unless the accumulation is really light. 

When its the wet, heavy stuff we had the other day, taking a breather or two is the smart play.

All at once unless it’s a really long storm or when it will be over.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If it’s going to be more than 12” of snow, I’ll shovel it in shifts. I’d rather shovel 10” of snow twice than 20” in one shot. Plus I have about 400’ of sidewalk.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

If it’s going to be more than 12” of snow, I’ll shovel it in shifts. I’d rather shovel 10” of snow twice than 20” in one shot. Plus I have about 400’ of sidewalk.

I would rather not shovel any of it. I will choose “Snowblower”.  

For the record, i voted for “Shifts”

Edited by StuM

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

Y'all just talking about where the snow thrower can't go, right?

I am the snow thrower. I shovel my sidewalks the way man was intended to, uphill - both ways. Like my forefathers before me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

When I lived up north, we had three storms in quick succession and by the second one you had to do shifts, otherwise you couldn’t even get a handle on it.   That was the time I was speaking to my neighbor over the snow that was being shoveled and the only reason I knew she was there was seeing her shovel at it’s highest point when shoveling.   It was well over 6 feet

—Adam

Depends on the total amount predicted to fall.
If its only a few inches - All at once
If it's over six, then I start clean up after 3 and then clean up the rest later.

Living in the mountains for many years, I've shoveled way more than I care to remember...  

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

When I moved to the Portland area the next winter we got 12" of snow overnight. I had no snow shovel and was forced to get out with my kids sled. Awful experience. I went out bought this beautiful snow shovel and got myself prepared. This was end of 2015. Haven't touched it since, it is still sitting in the box.

Whenever it does snow (anything more than a few inches) I'll be ready.

Oh, and I prefer to do it all at once.

Michael

43 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Depends on the total amount predicted to fall.
If its only a few inches - All at once
If it's over six, then I start clean up after 3 and then clean up the rest later.

Living in the mountains for many years, I've shoveled way more than I care to remember...  

I use both a snowblower and a shovel (when I want the exercise).  John expressed my opinion. 

The attach snow is my wife when she was young in 1967.   I remember taking all day to shovel about 30'.   We had a VW Beetle at the time and snow was piled higher than the car.   Any more the most we get is about 6" at a time. 

Winter 1967.jpg

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, billchao said:

How about 2” ten times?😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

All about timing for me.  If it's a heavy overnight snowstorm, I'd always go out before bed and clear what had fallen so far...and throw down some salt.  If it was a snowstorm during the day...probably just let it finish and bite the bullet.

EXCEPTION: if it's gonna be windy, don't waste your time.

- John

if not available then yeah I’d try to go in shifts. Goal is to get as much snow gone before people trample all over and turn it to ice. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

4 minutes ago, phillyk said:

if not available then yeah I’d try to go in shifts. Goal is to get as much snow gone before people trample all over and turn it to ice. 

Spoken like someone from Chicago.

You guys should use a flamethrower on the course so we can get back to golfing sooner during frost delays.  And it might help to dry it out, too!

Edited by Double Mocha Man

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

How about 2” ten times?😜

I know you’re joking, but that would be really easy to do if I actually wanted to spend all day outside in the cold.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!