IGNORED

Brooks-Bryson Feud

ncates00
Note: This thread is 883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

And in this example the idiot spectator ‘heckled’ BD after he was done playing.

There were plenty of reports from the BMW including from the TV announcers stating that the comments were being made the entire weekend including during the playoff against Cantlay.

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

And let’s not forget BD said he liked it. 

Perhaps because he felt that if he leaned into it a little bit that it might die down quicker? Do you honestly think if Bryson came out and said that people yelling that towards him really bothered him that people would have suddenly dropped it and the amount that it was said would have decreased? I sure don't think so. What was he supposed to say about it?

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yelling ‘Brooksie’ is not derogatory, offensive or vulgar. 

It's not necessarily about the specific word(s) but the intent behind them. I would say it's fair to assume most people who say it are trying to get in Brysons head/get a reaction from Bryson to negatively affect his performance. The fact that another PGA tour player openly encouraged and promoted that behavior from fans is a poor look on Koepka IMO. I don't see the need for it in the game. 

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

BD has done a poor job of handling this. 

I don't disagree, but how do you think he should have handled it?

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

And IMO it’s quite pansy and childish of him.

Surely you would agree that Koepka encouraging and incentivizing fans to yell something towards Bryson with the intent to affect his performance is pansy and childish too, right?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, klineka said:
32 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Surely you would agree that Koepka encouraging and incentivizing fans to yell something towards Bryson with the intent to affect his performance is pansy and childish too, right?

I do, yes.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes, it is.

It's not said positively. It's said to heckle. To get under his skin.

Him saying he "liked" it was his lousy attempt at putting an end to it.

Nah.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

Rory remains refreshingly direct/blunt/open.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think Rory kind of hit the nail on the head. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think Rory kind of hit the nail on the head. 

I was reading Rory’s comments in an espn article and thought the same thing. This is the voice of reason this thing needs right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I saw the interview. Rory did an excellent job describing the situation. I hope fans and other players help Bryson grow up a bit.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If Bryson had the mental fortitude he could go full heel.  That would be hilarious to watch.  Start talking back, the dude is young, rich and plays golf for a living.  He is basically living most if these hecklers dream, let them know about it.  I also think it would make for great T.V. 

4 hours ago, False hopes said:

If Bryson had the mental fortitude he could go full heel.  That would be hilarious to watch.  Start talking back, the dude is young, rich and plays golf for a living.  He is basically living most if these hecklers dream, let them know about it.  I also think it would make for great T.V. 

That would eventually devolve into something we don't want to see. Keep it civil. No bar fights.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Funny to recall that a few short months ago, at the start of this very thread, some folks were cheering on the feud, likening it to pro wrestling trash talk.

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
4 hours ago, turtleback said:

Funny to recall that a few short months ago, at the start of this very thread, some folks were cheering on the feud, likening it to pro wrestling trash talk.

It didn't really involve on-course stuff back then. Had they kept it at that level, had Brooks not bought people beer for taunting Bryson, it may still be fine. Entertaining. It's not that anymore.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

It didn't really involve on-course stuff back then. Had they kept it at that level, had Brooks not bought people beer for taunting Bryson, it may still be fine. Entertaining. It's not that anymore.

I've tried to keep an open mind about Bryson.  He's a different thinker and he's had some stumbles, but I think Rory got it right about him.   However Brooks has gone from someone who speaks his mind to someone who needs to shut his mouth for about a year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

—Adam

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I've tried to keep an open mind about Bryson.  He's a different thinker and he's had some stumbles, but I think Rory got it right about him.   However Brooks has gone from someone who speaks his mind to someone who needs to shut his mouth for about a year.

Yeah. Bryson is just proving to be what everyone thought he was (or many people, at least). Brooks is proving himself to be a bit more of a dipshit than I think many thought he'd be.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Gee, my recollection was that Koepka bought the beer for people who were ejected from the event at Bryson's request.  IAC, it was foolish to think that stirring up the fans with a feud wouldn't leak out onto the course.

Some folks need to go back and see what happened to Jack during his US Open playoff with Arnold at Oakmont and, frankly, his first 5+ or so years of his pro career.  Yet I don't recall him having people ejected.  And between the start of his career, where he was hated and vilified for surpassing Arnold, and the early 70s when he became the much beloved player, he just dealt with it.  

Edited by turtleback

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
Just now, turtleback said:

Some folks need to go back and see what happened to Jack during his US Open playoff with Arnold at Oakmont and, frankly, his first 5+ or so years of his pro career.  Yet I don't recall him having people ejected.  And between the start of his career, where he was hated and vilified for surpassing Arnold, and the early 70s when he became the much beloved player, he just dealt with it.  

White folk used to have black people as slaves in this country. Should they just "deal with that" too? Point being… times change. We advance and grow. Crowds were disrespectful to Sergio and Monty, too… Doesn't make it right, or mean it should continue.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

White folk used to have black people as slaves in this country. Should they just "deal with that" too? Point being… times change. We advance and grow. Crowds were disrespectful to Sergio and Monty, too… Doesn't make it right, or mean it should continue.

Great analogy /sarc

Rich - in name only

To me it depends on the event. 

Ryder Cup, let's show some national pride. I think the players get amped up when the crowds are more into it. 

Normal event, no need to be an ass towards the golfers. I don't care if you hate a golfer or not. I wasn't a fan of certain golfers, I wasn't being a stalker trying to cause them to mess up. There is no place for that. 

1 minute ago, turtleback said:

Great analogy /sarc

It was a good one. It hammers home the point. Just because things were a certain way for decades, doesn't mean it is correct. 

For decades, black MLB players lived in fear when traveling through the south. By your logic, that should be the same treatment today because they had to deal with it back then. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

37 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

To me it depends on the event. 

Ryder Cup, let's show some national pride. I think the players get amped up when the crowds are more into it. 

Normal event, no need to be an ass towards the golfers. I don't care if you hate a golfer or not. I wasn't a fan of certain golfers, I wasn't being a stalker trying to cause them to mess up. There is no place for that. 

40 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I think that’s a fair take. I suppose it hinges on golf being different from other sports, which, granted, it is in many respects, though. 

Note: This thread is 883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!