IGNORED

New "Brooksie" Rule

dzjc
Note: This thread is 976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Something in this timeline doesn't seem right to me:

1. Brooks Koepka is known as "Koepka", "Brooks" or "Brooks Koepka".

2.  A video is released of Koepka telling his caddy how pissed he is that a fan keeps calling him "Brooksy".

3. Koepka releases a video of himself ironically calling himself "Brooksy" and encouraging fans to unsettle Bryson.

4. Fans start muttering, yelling and chanting "Brooksy" to annoy Bryson.

5. Attempts are made to stop this happening  - attempts which are likely to exacerbate the problem.

It seeks to me that this "Brooksy" thing all started (I'm not talking about the numerous reasons why people criticise Bryson) because Brooks Koepka didn't like being called "Brooksy" by someone who seemed to be a fan of his.

Brooks hates being called "Brooksy" and has a hissy fit when a fan calls him by that name. But we are supposed to be cool with "fans" calling Bryson "Brooksy" or yelling out "Brooksy" to unsettle him.

And Bryson is seen as being the whiny one? Fair? I think not.

Edited by Shorty
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If the PGA wants to impose conditions on ticket holders then what’s the problem? There are already conditions imposed on fans at all sporting events. As to the comments up thread saying it will be hard to enforce it, well it isn’t and won’t be. Just kick a few people out and the rest will either

1. Stop

2. Carry on and then get kicked out in turn 

3. Stop coming. 

Most golf fans won’t miss those pricks anyway. I would like to see this policy extended to some other verbal behaviour- “mashed potatoes”…etc.

• Like 1

Stevie T

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

Something in this timeline doesn't seem right to me:

1. Brooks Koepka is known as "Koepka", "Brooks" or "Brooks Koepka".

2.  A video is released of Koepka telling his caddy how pissed he is that a fan keeps calling him "Brooksy".

3. Koepka releases a video of himself ironically calling himself "Brooksy" and encouraging fans to unsettle Bryson.

4. Fans start muttering, yelling and chanting "Brooksy" to annoy Bryson.

5. Attempts are made to stop this happening  - attempts which are likely to exacerbate the problem.

It seeks to me that this "Brooksy" thing all started (I'm not talking about the numerous reasons why people criticise Bryson) because Brooks Koepka didn't like being called "Brooksy" by someone who seemed to be a fan of his.

Brooks hates being called "Brooksy" and has a hissy fit when a fan calls him by that name. But we are supposed to be cool with "fans" calling Bryson "Brooksy" or yelling out "Brooksy" to unsettle him.

And Bryson is seen as being the whiny one? Fair? I think not.

Koepka (or Cupcake as I call him) doesn’t look good at all in this situation.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Like a lot of others not a BDC fan. But the 'fans' heckling BDC, makes me think of middle schoolers harassing a special kid for his condition. Eventually some knuckle heads always end up crossing the line.

It just ain't funny anymore. I hope some of them dingbats get tossed out, while I heckle them on TV next time.

The rule is fine. Not doing anything is 10X worse.

Hope Monahan had a 'friendly' chat with BK.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

I just think the whole thing, in the big picture of it, is ridiculous. A grown man is getting some ribbing and it’s coddle time for the distressed millionaire golfer. No physical harm, no racist or vulgar comments. BD apparently can’t control his emotions so every effort has to be made to make sure he feels comfortable out there. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Bryson was interviewed on the Golf Channel last night and he said, "Oh, it's not about me!"  Say what? The comish called out the "Brooksie" comments specifically and said they had to stop.  So it sounds like Bryson is in denial about the whole thing, and as long as he surrounds himself with people that tell him what he wants to hear, then this will continue to get worse.

3 minutes ago, dzjc said:

Bryson was interviewed on the Golf Channel last night and he said, "Oh, it's not about me!"  Say what? The comish called out the "Brooksie" comments specifically and said they had to stop.  So it sounds like Bryson is in denial about the whole thing, and as long as he surrounds himself with people that tell him what he wants to hear, then this will continue to get worse.

He just makes it worse doing this.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, dzjc said:

First, any reason you have yet to respond to the multiple questions in this topic from me asking you to back up your claims with facts?

Second. again, this is about a larger issue, not just the "brooksie" comment. Yes the commissioner mentioned it specifically, but lets look at the rest of his quote (which I already quoted once and you clearly chose not to read)

"The barometer that we are all using is the word respect," Monahan said. "And to me, when you hear 'Brooksie' yelled or you hear any expression yelled, the question is, is that respectful or disrespectful? That has been going on for an extended period of time. To me, at this point, it's disrespectful. And that's the kind of behavior that we're not gonna tolerate going forward."

"Any expression yelled" 

It's not only about "Brooksie" dude.

You act like this is the first time fans have ever been disrespectful to players. This is just one of the most public instances of it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Look dude, you clearly have a problem with anyone being critical of Bryson.  That's fine.  These forums exist so people can have discussions and differences of opinions.  If you don't like what's being said in this thread, then why read it?  I don't read threads that I don't like.

Back to Bryson though.  He's being coddled by the PGA Tour.  Plain and simple.  No he's not being "bullied".  Is he being heckled?  You bet.  But as Patrick Cantlay said, he's brought this on himself.

Seems the tour is getting what they wanted, and now they don't want it.

Maybe this: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/108928-pga-tour-creates-40-million-player-impact-program-pip/ wasn't a good idea?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 minute ago, dzjc said:

Look dude, you clearly have a problem with anyone being critical of Bryson.  That's fine.  

Nope, not at all. I have a problem with people who make claims that aren't true and don't back up their claims with facts when specifically asked to do so.

2 minutes ago, dzjc said:

These forums exist so people can have discussions and differences of opinions.  

Discussions involve back and forth conversations with both sides presenting facts to support their positions. You have ignored multiple requests to back up your opinions with facts and you continue to just share your opinion without actually engaging or replying to comments that disagree with your opinion.

4 minutes ago, dzjc said:

I don't read threads that I don't like.

You also don't reply to comments or opinions that contradict yours

5 minutes ago, dzjc said:

Is he being heckled?  You bet.  But as Patrick Cantlay said, he's brought this on himself.

That doesn't mean the PGA tour is in the wrong by putting in a rule to try and minimize or stop the heckling. It also doesn't mean that they are coddling Bryson, because the rule applies to heckling of everyone, not just heckling of Bryson.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, dzjc said:

Look dude, you clearly have a problem with anyone being critical of Bryson. 

I’ve known Kevin for a while now and that’s not the case.

16 minutes ago, dzjc said:

No he's not being "bullied".

That’s not what several people attending tournaments are saying.

Physically, no, he’s not.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am curious why now? Didn’t Tiger get verbally attacked most of his career? Sergio? Monty? I would imagine it is worse on the course than what we hear on tv when he is covered. But why him?   

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

3 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I am curious why now? Didn’t Tiger get verbally attacked most of his career? Sergio? Monty? I would imagine it is worse on the course than what we hear on tv when he is covered. But why him?   

Because it was wrong then and it’s still wrong now, so why let it continue. Also, because it’s is part of a feud, it makes the Tour look worse. So the Tour has acted.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

16 hours ago, dzjc said:

Look dude, you clearly have a problem with anyone being critical of Bryson.  That's fine.  These forums exist so peple can have discussions and differences of opinions.

1. You’re wrong about @klineka’s motives of protecting BC.  So no, it’s not “clearly” the case. 

2. Backing what @klineka said about discussions, they are meant to exchange ideas, but discussions are not void of facts and supportive evidence.  Giving your opinions only, won’t go very far if you can’t back them up 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

@boogielicious I get what you are saying, my follow up question would be why this particular issue? Shouldn’t they have stopped these types of things sooner? Is it possible this particular issues is more magnified due to the players involved? I am not taking a stance for or against. I am just curious as to why now. I don’t agree with the comment you made about the tour looking bad due to this feud.  To me that is not their concern. That is the players to figure out. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Shouldn’t they have stopped these types of things sooner?

They didn't. So the choice is "better late than never" or "well, we know it's wrong, we know we were wrong to not stop it earlier, but let's double down on being wrong and let it continue."

I don't get what you're after. Just because it existed in the past doesn't mean we let it exist in the future. Smoking in restaurants was allowed once. Anywhere. Every table had an ashtray on it. "Shouldn't they have stopped that type of thing sooner?" Yes, but they didn't.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!