IGNORED

Direct-to-Consumer Ball Brands

Curious… do you use any of the DTC ball brands (Vice, Snell, Cut, Piper, etc…)? If so do you have a preference and why?

I like the idea and am thinking of going that route, likely Vice or Snell. But in order to get the best deal, most want you to purchase 5+ dozen. That’s a pretty big commitment. I know I could buy a dozen or a sample pack and may do so but just thought I’d see if anyone had some experiences they wanted to share. 

Currently playing the Z Star and/AVX for what it’s worth. 

22 minutes ago, steelied said:

Curious… do you use any of the DTC ball brands (Vice, Snell, Cut, Piper, etc…)? If so do you have a preference and why?

I like the idea and am thinking of going that route, likely Vice or Snell. But in order to get the best deal, most want you to purchase 5+ dozen. That’s a pretty big commitment. I know I could buy a dozen or a sample pack and may do so but just thought I’d see if anyone had some experiences they wanted to share. 

Currently playing the Z Star and/AVX for what it’s worth. 

Have you seen this thread?

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/110292-ping-introduces-ballnamic-ball-fitting-site/

• Like 1

I love VICE balls, they are my preferred ball if I'm paying. Pro + in lime green

I've tried Cut in the past and wasn't terribly impressed at all.

• Like 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I did. Thanks! I guess I’m mostly working if anyone had any on course experiences to share. Durability, performance (unexpected or otherwise). 

I’m pretty zeroed in on the models I’m interested in based on data (compression, cover, etc..). 

51 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I love VICE balls, they are my preferred ball if I'm paying. Pro + in lime green

I've tried Cut in the past and wasn't terribly impressed at all.

Thanks! Kinda leaning towards the Vice balls too. 

Appreciate you mentioning Cut. Price is right for sure but sounds like durability is quite the issue. 

I like Snell myself. I play the MTB-X ball.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

A fair number of folks here play Snell and have great things to say. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I play Snell MTB-X. The value is good even at full price compared to Pro V1s, but the bulk purchase adds to it. Five dozen balls lasts me like three months :8)

@steelied if you’re just testing balls I suggest the sample pack.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Direct-to-Consumer Ball Brands
  • Administrator

I've never cared for VICE - too many models that all seem to say the same things. The Snell is great. My college team plays them, I play them, my daughter plays them.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm friends of friends with the guy who runs Piper. I've played a few of them, including the tour-style one, the Gold. They're solid; no complaints. Plenty cheap compared to something like a ProV1, certainly. 

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Appreciate the comments everyone. Very helpful community!

@colin007 Answered one of my questions… found a Cut Blue today and played it as my second ball for 16 holes. Solid if unspectacular. Durability was not nearly as bad as what I’ve read. Flushed quite a few balls and had a couple of hairy spots but not really too bad. 

Also found a Vice Pro on 17 so I guess I’ll give that a try next time out! 

@billchao @iacas I’ll definitely give the Snell test pack a try before I go all in. 

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I'm friends of friends with the guy who runs Piper. I've played a few of them, including the tour-style one, the Gold. They're solid; no complaints. Plenty cheap compared to something like a ProV1, certainly. 

BTW… if anyone is wondering, I contacted Piper re compression. Got this back…

We’ve got the initial compression ratings back just recently. Our Blacks came in at 88 and the Golds came in at 98.”

For DTC brands, I have played Vice, Snell, and Cut - whatever the highest compression ball is from each brand. I think this is the Snell MTB-X and Vice Pro Plus, but not sure what Cut model is their high compression ball.

I like Vice and Snell the best and I usually wait for a promotion and buy in bulk - both balls end up being about the same price with promotions applied plus tax/shipping. I found the urethane skin on the Cut balls got scuffed up really fast so I stopped using them after I lost them all or took them out of play due to damage, although they are a bit cheaper than Vice/Snell.

I also always keep some Kirkland balls around for rounds where I am not feeling good about my swing at all, or for practicing in my yard with net/mat.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

FWIW, I’ve tried Vice and Cut as well. Vice was ok. I remember their shipping being a little slower so I had to order well ahead of when I needed to replenish. They discontinued the flamingo pink balls I liked. Nobody pockets a wayward pink golf ball on the course. One time a lady playing behind me found one I lost and actually drove over and gave it to me because she knew I was the pink Vice guy.

I didn’t like the Cut golf balls at all. I tried a couple of types. I would see groove marks in the covers after full wedge shots. The one (I forget which one now) spun too much on greenside shots.

I like Snell. They play pretty much the same as the Pro V1x I used to play with no discernible difference in durability at a fraction of the cost. The bulk discount is a bonus but I had no issues paying full price when they were having supply issues this past year and a half, and they’re at my door within five days of placing the order.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I play Snell. I’ve played both the MTB-Black and the MTB-X. It’s pretty much identical to the ProV1, as far as I can tell. I can spin back ProV1s with a full wedge shot, but the Snell just hops and stops. That’s the only discernible difference. I prefer the hop and stop, personally, but that’s just personal preference. 

Edited by DeadMan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

44 minutes ago, billchao said:

FWIW, I’ve tried Vice and Cut as well. Vice was ok. I remember their shipping being a little slower so I had to order well ahead of when I needed to replenish. They discontinued the flamingo pink balls I liked. Nobody pockets a wayward pink golf ball on the course. One time a lady playing behind me found one I lost and actually drove over and gave it to me because she knew I was the pink Vice guy.

I didn’t like the Cut golf balls at all. I tried a couple of types. I would see groove marks in the covers after full wedge shots. The one (I forget which one now) spun too much on greenside shots.

I like Snell. They play pretty much the same as the Pro V1x I used to play with no discernible difference in durability at a fraction of the cost. The bulk discount is a bonus but I had no issues paying full price when they were having supply issues this past year and a half, and they’re at my door within five days of placing the order.

Awesome. Thanks @billchao 

I actually like the Vice Drip balls. My son found one and has played the last couple rounds with it. He won’t give it to me 😂

On 11/7/2021 at 9:05 PM, DeadMan said:

I play Snell. I’ve played both the MTB-Black and the MTB-X. It’s pretty much identical to the ProV1, as far as I can tell. I can spin back ProV1s with a full wedge shot, but the Snell just hops and stops. That’s the only discernible difference. I prefer the hop and stop, personally, but that’s just personal preference. 

I agree with you.,  I have found that I can really juice a ProV 1, back that ball up to much.  While the Snell hits hops and stays. Snell makes it easier for me to figure out what iron to hit into a green based on pin placement.

On 11/7/2021 at 8:19 PM, billchao said:

For what it's worth, I found Vice to not be a very good ball in the wind.  Our Pro Shop started selling them and I picked up some to try plus my wife likes them so she wanted feedback from me.  

When I first noticed it I thought it was me and just that type of day.  Next round the wind was up and I was having some issues. lost that ball and grabbed a Snell and noticed a difference.  So for me Snell is just a better ball in the wind then Vice so I stuck with Snell.  

Still, my wife plays Vice.  In the end she really didn't care for my thoughts.  She likes how the ball looks, that was the determining factor for her.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

9 minutes ago, djake said:

Still, my wife plays Vice.  In the end she really didn't care for my thoughts.  She likes how the ball looks, that was the determining factor for her.

Looks matter too! My wife rarely cares for my thoughts  😆

Snell seems to be common consensus. Winter has settled in so I’ll probably be playing “Whatever I Find” for a little bit but I’ll definitely be ordering a sample pack of the Snells. 

I have not purchased golf balls in a long time. My personal ranking with best first is Snell, Vice and Kirkland. Never found a Cut or Piper. I will play a Snell or Vice as they seem ok, but feel different than a ProVi, especially on poorer shots. I find plenty of ProVs so the Snell or Vice usually goes to my wife, and Kirklands go straight to the kids.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:00 PM, steelied said:

If you are looking for a smaller commitment the Walmarts around here sell Vice and Snell. 

If your Walmarts do as well, you could pick up a dozen to try without buying a ton of them.

Edited by ChetlovesMer
  • Like 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.