IGNORED

2022 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Birdied 6, 8, and 18 at Allegheny CC today. 6 and 8 were duplicates, so I'm up to 9 birdies or better (one eagle) and -10 on the away course composite in about six rounds so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finally got a birdie on my home course, the 9th. Hit a 30 foot putt from off the green.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 birdies today at Genesee Valley Meadows.  #1, #6 and #14.   1 and 14 are new.    Tied a PR for birdies in a round but still managed to have enough bad holes to play average golf!

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On fire today with birdies at 1, 6, 16, and 18. None of those help the cause, but I was really proud of 18 after I doubled 17. Shot 76 and won some money! 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I know it probably doesn't count, but as a 19 birdies are rare, so I'm sharing it. After playing this morning I went out with my dad and brother for a casual round where I didn't keep score. I birdied #1. I hit a very nice drive up the left side of the fairway, but it did end up in the rough about 80 yards out and well below my feet. I tried a couple swings with my 56°, didn't feel right, tried Gap wedge, same. Pulled pitching wedge and hit about a 3/4 swing. I ended up on the green with a fair distance to cover, I picked a line with the mindset of "I WILL get this within 3 feet" and I actually drained the putt. I wish I would have paced it off to have a better idea of how long a putt it was, but it was definitely over 20 feet.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

Had been stuck on four birdies on my home course for a while now. Got a fifth one this morning. I birdied number 14. Damned near eagled it. I had a less than 2-inch putt for birdie after my approach. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I think @billchao is good luck for me.  He's visiting Northern Virginia for a few days, and in two rounds with him I've managed to tick off 2 of my last 3 holes at my home course.  All that remains is #12, 390 yards uphill, into the prevailing wind, Penalty Area down the left, OB down the right.  Wish me luck!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Ticked yet another second nine birdie today, hole #14.  Hansen Dam, hole 14 is a 500 yard par-5, today it was into the wind.  Driver, 4-wood, 5-iron got me onto the green and I sank a pretty long putt.  I know, I was surprised too. :-)  

Almost have the second nine covered, only two to go (one of which is a par-5 at a few courses I play semi-regularly).

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Another birdie in a round where I wasn't keeping score. I birdied hole 2 at my home course today, it's only a 253 yard par 4, but plays a good 20+ yards longer because it's all uphill. I hit a great "5 wood" to about 70 yards and hit an excellent pitch with the gap wedge. I eyeballed the putter and it was inside the leather, but I still putted it out.

I also had an okay look on 5 and a good look on 6. I don't remember what happened on 5, but 6 is one that will stick with me. It's a 205 yard par 3, but it plays about 20 yards shorter because it's down the same hill as 2. I hit the "5 wood" to the back of the green and was left with maybe 10 feet. It looked like it was straight and slightly uphill. I don't know if it was the lack of light, but the pace was good, it just broke about a foot left. Sometimes I really hate the greens at my home course.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

Hole 10.  11/18

1106362191_hole112022.thumb.jpg.60df9cef7fc24ed6fa01b1d2fdfdc17b.jpg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I finally managed to fill birdie some of the holes I've struggled to get close to (over 4-5 round the past 10 days): 

Hole 2 

A short par 3 (135 yards) downhill. Hit a good AW to the middle of the green and sunk the 15 footer for birdie. Only took me 40 rounds to get a birdie here this year, and this has historically been one of the first ones on the sheet before. 

Hole 4

A long par 3 (192 yards) flat, into wind. Hit a great 6i to 12 feet, below the hole and drained the putt. Not the easiest pin either. Great birdie. 

Hole 8

A 180 yards par 3 uphill. Didn't birdie this one last year, but have had plenty of good opportunities. Hit a great tee-shot to 4 feet. Finally drained one here. 

Hole 16

A 340 yards par 4, downhill and dogleg right. Narrow the the last 120 yards, not a driver-hole. Hit a very nice 7i to the middle of the fairway and was left with 135. Hit a perfect AW from there and did not need a putter......EAGLE - 2! Shot of the year and life ofr me so far.

Open photo

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Five rounds of golf in VA are done and I got one birdie out of it. Had opportunities and makeable putts, but only converted the one. It was the last round of the trip at @jsgolfer's club, Springfield Golf and Country Club. #13 which is a short par 3 where I hit a 9i to 5'.

I already have #13 on my composite sheet, but we did start on #10 so I'm kind of tempted to call it hole #4 since that's the order in which we played the holes. Ultimately it won't matter since I don't expect to finish the sheet anyway.

On 7/30/2022 at 4:42 PM, DaveP043 said:

I think @billchao is good luck for me.  He's visiting Northern Virginia for a few days, and in two rounds with him I've managed to tick off 2 of my last 3 holes at my home course.  All that remains is #12, 390 yards uphill, into the prevailing wind, Penalty Area down the left, OB down the right.  Wish me luck!

Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. Not for lack of effort, but simply lack of talent. #12 is a brutal hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I already have #13 on my composite sheet, but we did start on #10 so I'm kind of tempted to call it hole #4 since that's the order in which we played the holes. Ultimately it won't matter since I don't expect to finish the sheet anyway.

I hope you're joking. 😉

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I hope you're joking. 😉

Well yea, I birdied #1 last year starting on #10 and marked it as #1.

Unless you meant the second part, in which case, absolutely not.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 minute ago, billchao said:

Well yea, I birdied #1 last year starting on #10 and marked it as #1.

Unless you meant the second part, in which case, absolutely not.

#13 is #13. Not the order in which you played the holes.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

#13 is #13. Not the order in which you played the holes.

Yea I get that. That’s why I said when I birdied #1 last year as the tenth hole, it went on the sheet as #1.

Although that does bring into question how I should be handling birdies made at Neshanic Valley Golf Course. They have three 9-hole courses played in a rotation that they determine when you arrive.

I’ve played the Meadow 9 this year as both the front 9 and the back 9 in separate rounds.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea I get that. That’s why I said when I birdied #1 last year as the tenth hole, it went on the sheet as #1.

Although that does bring into question how I should be handling birdies made at Neshanic Valley Golf Course. They have three 9-hole courses played in a rotation that they determine when you arrive.

I’ve played the Meadow 9 this year as both the front 9 and the back 9 in separate rounds.

You can count them as the hole you played… if you expand your Birdie Challenge to be 27 holes long. Simple. 😄

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You can count them as the hole you played… if you expand your Birdie Challenge to be 27 holes long. Simple. 😄

But then how do we determine which set is #1-9 and which set is #19-27? Alphabetical order? :-P

Bill

My Swing Thread