Jump to content
IGNORED

Ball Going Straight Left


Recommended Posts

I am a right handed player. Starting this new season I have no idea what I am doing wrong. My driver and long irons are going straight left off the tee. I am not talking about a hook or draw. Dead straight perfect flight to the left. I have tried following through with my hands more. I have tried opening up the face. With a 300 yard drive I am hitting about 75 yards off my target. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hello and welcome to TST! As you may suspect, a video of your swing would be necessary to give an accurate analysis. Based on what you’ve said it seems you are coming outside in with your club face being square to your path. Several reasons for this as well as several corrections. Do you have a video?

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

My driver and long irons are going straight left off the tee. I am not talking about a hook or draw. Dead straight perfect flight to the left. 

That is called a pull. Highly recommending reading and learning about ball flight laws

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

As for what swing flaw/fault is causing your path to be out to in and your face to be matching that path, none of us are going to be able to tell you without seeing videos of your swing.

I strongly recommend reaching out to an instructor and doing some lessons. Or at the very least film your swing and post a Member Swing thread.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

I am a right handed player. Starting this new season I have no idea what I am doing wrong. My driver and long irons are going straight left off the tee. I am not talking about a hook or draw. Dead straight perfect flight to the left. I have tried following through with my hands more. I have tried opening up the face. With a 300 yard drive I am hitting about 75 yards off my target. 

75 yards offline at 300? That’s like 14°. That is quite a bit offline to start the ball. Are you sure it’s a straight flight?

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Hello and welcome to TST! As you may suspect, a video of your swing would be necessary to give an accurate analysis. Based on what you’ve said it seems you are coming outside in with your club face being square to your path. Several reasons for this as well as several corrections. Do you have a video?

I love the enthusiasm but I’m still going to bust your chops for welcoming a member who’s been here since 2014 😜

  • Funny 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So the dreaded left ball off the tee plight. 

Yesterday, I was smashing it off the tee and got around great on the front. I get to 10, was hopped up because it was downwind and we were playing back and really jumped on one. It started left and went left and was between the 2 fairways about 275 off the tee. I totally got away with it as it set-up a little wedge into the green. No harm, no foul especially with OB right. 

In my case this severe pull was caused by an exceedingly great desire to jump on one and my shoulders outraced my body in a classic over-the-top power pull. I am much better when I have that patient power and the club is slotted correctly swinging slightly in to out as I then get the ball starting on line. I am not sure this is what you are doing, but I wouldn't be surprised as it is pretty common. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 3/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, wakefield724 said:

I am a right handed player. Starting this new season I have no idea what I am doing wrong. My driver and long irons are going straight left off the tee. I am not talking about a hook or draw. Dead straight perfect flight to the left. I have tried following through with my hands more. I have tried opening up the face. With a 300 yard drive I am hitting about 75 yards off my target. 

Aim 14 degrees to the right. 🙂

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After a great deal of range time, i found out my grip was entirely too strong which caused my face to be closed at impact. Now im hey diddle diddle right down the middle. Its an exciting year so far. Scored my best 9 hole ever this week (+3)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

After a great deal of range time, i found out my grip was entirely too strong which caused my face to be closed at impact. Now im hey diddle diddle right down the middle. Its an exciting year so far. Scored my best 9 hole ever this week (+3)

Always go back to the basics 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


19 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

After a great deal of range time, i found out my grip was entirely too strong which caused my face to be closed at impact. Now im hey diddle diddle right down the middle. Its an exciting year so far. Scored my best 9 hole ever this week (+3)

Well…now you’ve done it.

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 months later...

Last week my ball flight was right down the middle for the most part. This week dead pull to the left, (I'm a righty). We were playing a course with a lot of water, I lost like 10 to 12 balls! I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I figured I was coming over the top, out to in swing but could not help myself. So back to the range tomorrow to work on it.  If I can't fix it I'll go to a Pro for help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

It puzzles me how a ball can be hit straight, when we are told to put it forward of centre in the stance for the long irons and driver?

With the shorter irons having it roughly in the middle makes sense because that's the bottom of the swing arc. And where square would be. But wouldn't having the ball further up the stance for longer clubs promote a left of the target strike? Due to the club striking the ball on the left side of the swing arc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Moderator
2 hours ago, High Draw said:

It puzzles me how a ball can be hit straight, when we are told to put it forward of centre in the stance for the long irons and driver?

With the shorter irons having it roughly in the middle makes sense because that's the bottom of the swing arc. And where square would be. But wouldn't having the ball further up the stance for longer clubs promote a left of the target strike? Due to the club striking the ball on the left side of the swing arc?

Not really. My swing bottom is actually closer to my left heel. During my GEARS session at Golf Evolution, this was identified as the best place to put my ball even with wedges. My path is still going out in this position.

Try this next time you are at the range. Place the ball at your heel for each club. Even try putting further forward at your big toe. You may surprise yourself that you can hit it well at this position. This is how you can control launch too. This kind of drill also helps you move your weight forward at impact. Your swing path will adjust.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, High Draw said:

It puzzles me how a ball can be hit straight, when we are told to put it forward of centre in the stance for the long irons and driver?

With the shorter irons having it roughly in the middle makes sense because that's the bottom of the swing arc. And where square would be. But wouldn't having the ball further up the stance for longer clubs promote a left of the target strike? Due to the club striking the ball on the left side of the swing arc?

As @boogielicious mentioned. The bottom of your swing is likely to be farther forward than you think. Additionally, with the driver you want to hit the ball "after" your swing has reached bottom so as to catch it on the way up. (That is possibly oversimplified but you get the idea.) @boogielicious mentions GEARS which of course is awesome. But you can pretty well identify the bottom of your swing even with just your phone's camera. 

Filming your swing (whether you are hitting it great, or whether you are hitting it terrible) is always informative. I highly recommend it. GEARS is better of course, but it can be tough to get access to and or afford, depending on your situation. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Not really. My swing bottom is actually closer to my left heel. During my GEARS session at Golf Evolution, this was identified as the best place to put my ball even with wedges. My path is still going out in this position.

Try this next time you are at the range. Place the ball at your heel for each club. Even try putting further forward at your big toe. You may surprise yourself that you can hit it well at this position. This is how you can control launch too. This kind of drill also helps you move your weight forward at impact. Your swing path will adjust.

Interesting. So that would mean most of us are moving our weight forward to accommodate a forward ball position? Makes sense. Otherwise we'd be hitting it with a closed face with driver. 

It always puzzled me because 7 iron is roughly in the middle or slightly forward for most people, and driver is off the instep. So if the 7 iron is square in that position, that would make the driver face closed in its instep position. 

But we must be pushing forward more with the longer clubs to hit it square.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator
3 hours ago, High Draw said:

It puzzles me how a ball can be hit straight, when we are told to put it forward of centre in the stance for the long irons and driver?

With the shorter irons having it roughly in the middle makes sense because that's the bottom of the swing arc. And where square would be. But wouldn't having the ball further up the stance for longer clubs promote a left of the target strike? Due to the club striking the ball on the left side of the swing arc?

Time to brush up on your geometry a bit.

First, you can orient the swing path (direction) in all sorts of directions. Rory hits up AND out with his driver, particularly when he was younger, to hit a draw.

Second, your low point can be forward of your front foot if you want it to be, and do the things to make it so. Generally in a good swing it's near to being underneath the front armpit or shoulder, or at least the logo on the front (left for a righty) of the shirt.

Third, the path of the club isn't really where the ball goes - that affects where the ball curves more than the start line. The start line is primarily determined by where the face is pointing at impact (and where on the face impact is made).

Just now, High Draw said:

Interesting. So that would mean most of us are moving our weight forward to accommodate a forward ball position? Makes sense. Otherwise we'd be hitting it with a closed face with driver.

These two things — the face angle and the ball position — have very little to do with one another. Though the clubface is closing throughout the impact interval (the bottom of the swing), it can come in more open or more closed, and it can close more quickly or more slowly. Just because the swing direction is left doesn't mean the face is pointing left.

Just now, High Draw said:

It always puzzled me because 7 iron is roughly in the middle or slightly forward for most people

Ideally it's not really "middle." PGA Tour players play the ball farther forward than almost anyone. I don't even have a bunch of good players with their wedges in the middle. Nearly everything (standard shots) are forward of middle.

Just now, High Draw said:

and driver is off the instep

Or forward of that, actually.

Just now, High Draw said:

So if the 7 iron is square in that position, that would make the driver face closed in its instep position. 

You don't have to grip it the same way, position your hands relative to your body the same way, etc.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Time to brush up on your geometry a bit.

First, you can orient the swing path (direction) in all sorts of directions. Rory hits up AND out with his driver, particularly when he was younger, to hit a draw.

Second, your low point can be forward of your front foot if you want it to be, and do the things to make it so. Generally in a good swing it's near to being underneath the front armpit or shoulder, or at least the logo on the front (left for a righty) of the shirt.

Third, the path of the club isn't really where the ball goes - that affects where the ball curves more than the start line. The start line is primarily determined by where the face is pointing at impact (and where on the face impact is made).

A bit of clubhead manipulation then. Seems true that the body shifts laterally to accommodate the ball positions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • Practiced twice today. First I worked on some pieces and I didn’t like what I saw in the video. Then, I got my Evolvr lesson back from @iacas and he gave me another feel and idea to work on. Basically, it’s a combination of palmar flexion at the top and forearm rotation to impact. The later is what I am having trouble with. They are somewhat independent. Erik talked about drawing a line through my wrist through the radius and ulna and seeing how it should rotate through impact. So, because I’m a nerd, I took a chopstick and wrist brace and made a training aid so I could see the rotation. It’s not exactly the right angle, but it’s close. I also should really feel like I’m swinging straight down from the top and have the club head drop back behind me while I palmar flex. Here is a 6 iron below. I didn’t swing much faster in any of my practice swings. The pool noodle is there to make me swing out more and not pull the grip left through impact.   Here is the driver. Down the line views.  I only did these mapping swings today. Tomorrow, if the mapping looks okay, I will move onto slow full swings.
    • They must have heard me whining.. lol.
    • I bought a sleeve of Taylormade Tour Response with the large green stripe.  I like them, and the way I’ve seen people line up putts is to line the big green stripe 90 degrees to where they are aiming, so unlike the triple track or single line guides that point at your line, it’s the other way. I’ve started doing that with any ball now, even lining up off the tee.   Generally I play Titleist ProV1 regular or X, with some TP5 and Chrome Soft Triple Track thrown in
    • - No need to be greedy here.  They are lying three (two stroke penalty), you are lying one.  Play for par as the best they can do is hole out for bogie.   - Play to the safe part of the green, no need to sucker pin into trouble.  In LSW, Erik covers why playing to the safer part of the green is smarter course management.  20ft for birdie is likely a two-putt for par, just as a good lag putt from 40ft is a two-putt for par.  Halve the hole and move on.   - When we play our casual men's best ball, we always let the accurate guys go first then we unleash the bomber.  I would do the same here, let the accurate guy get theirs in play as close as they can.  This sets up the bomber to hit a good driveable shot into the green for the win!  IF they OB the ball,  you are still looking at a decent attempt for birdie by the accurate one.    
    • I, on average, find 4 to 8 balls a round.  Many of them new. 200+ rounds a year so I find at least 800 balls every year. So, let's say I get the opportunity to play a hole or so with lots and lots of different type balls.  The following are balls I give to my buddies that I find...Snell, Vice, Kirkland, Top Flite, Srixon, Titleist AVX along with anything pink, orange, red.   I play mostly Bridgestone balls, the e12 Control.  Do not like it as well as the e12 Spin that was discontinued.  I also play the Callaway Supersoft.  But, as I said, I get to try lots of other balls.  Just hard to find the feel on all shots on the balls I described I give away.   The last ball I found was a TaylorMade TP5 Yellow.  Couple years back I used to play the TP5X white.  I found the TP5 played vey well.  I liked the feel.  Probably won't switch to it but overall a very good golf ball.   BTW, maybe it is because I am old but I hate the phrase where the word "game" is used instead of "play".  I don't game any balls, I play Bridgestone.  Now, the grouchy old man has spoken.  😁
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Daniel-J
      Daniel-J
      (32 years old)
    2. internal911
      internal911
      (42 years old)
    3. ipadair
      ipadair
      (11 years old)
    4. jwsmith6
      jwsmith6
      (34 years old)
    5. nigel
      nigel
      (64 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...