IGNORED

2022-23 Fantasy Golf (PGA Tour)

Friz

So we are less than a week out from the start of the 2022-23 PGA Tour Season.  I know @gogolfinghas done this in the past, but last login was on June 4th and I wasn't sure if something would be set up for this season, so I took it upon myself to do so.  If I'm stepping on any toes I'll happily step aside, but I had some ideas that I think will greatly improve upon the fantasy offering from PGATour.com.  

To start, you can join the league here: https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/joinLeague.go?leagueId=zc3b451wl7rhin1j - I'd encourage you to use your forum name as your Team Name to easily track results back here, as I intend to keep some additional stats and standings on the forum in addition to what the league is doing itself.  See below for more detail.

Fantrax offers a much more customizable fantasy league setup, and the format I've applied I hope will encourage engagement and competition for the entire PGA Tour Season.

Format:

Each week you will pick 6 golfers to make up your roster.  There is NO bench, all 6 golfers will be active and accumulate points.  Each golfer will gain/lose points based on the below scoring.

image.thumb.png.3e32cc200418471450126fc152d07753.png

With this scoring system, there is an emphasis on making the cut, as simply playing 18 holes should virtually always net positive points, and there is an end of tournament bonus points provided based on the amount of FedEx Cup points received, with an obvious boost for selecting the winner/top finishers.

You can only use the same golfer a maximum of FOUR (4) times all season.  Unlike the PGATour.com set up, there are no segments, no resets for how many times a golfer has been used.  Four times all year.  This should encourage deeper rosters and more variety between teams each week. 

There is no limit to how many teams can use the same golfer each week, so you will set your own team each week, with the only limit being the 4 use maximum per golfer.  NOTE:  If you do not set a roster each week, it will automatically carry your previous week's roster over, and will count towards one of their four uses.  If any golfer reaches the 4 event maximum and is still on your roster, they will simply score 0 points for you.

Season long standings are judged by total points attained throughout all events.

Additional Format:

To encourage continued participation and engagement, allow late joiners some relevant competition, and very much like the PGA Tour - to put more emphasis on the outcome of a single tournament rather than solely accumulating points all season, I'm going to try manually tracking some additional standings and statistics here.  I'll be highlighting individual tournament winners, and keeping my own version of the FedEx Cup that gives out points based on tournament standings rather than total point accumulation.  Lets call this the TST Fantasy Cup.

TST Fantasy Cup points - points are awarded based on the quantity of participants in that week's tournament, in reverse order, where the last place finisher will receive 1 point and the winner will receive X points, with X being equal to the number of participants that week.  A bonus 3 points will be awarded to the weekly winner, and a bonus 2 points will awarded to any team that rostered the golfer that won the PGA Tour event that week.

For example, if we had 15 active teams in a given week, 15th place would receive 1 point, 14th place would receive 2 points.....etc up to 2nd place would receive 14 points.  1st place would receive 15 points, plus the 3 point bonus for winning for a total of 18.  If Jon Rahm won that week's event, any team that had Jon Rahm rostered would have 2 points added on top of their standings points.

Fantasy Schedule:

Since we're so close to the beginning of the season, before a break for the President's Cup, I'm inclined to use next week's Fortinet Championship as a "preseason" week, with the official start of the Fantasy Golf season at Sanderson Farms on September 29th.  This would give early enrollees an opportunity to test out Fantrax and get used to how it functions, see how scoring plays out across an actual tournament, and ultimately give more time to allow others to join the league without starting a week behind.  So next week's Fortinet Championship is open to play, but I will reset the league during the President's Cup and we will start for real at Sanderson Farms.

Also, based on the format, Fantrax does not offer a good way to operate during the Zurich Classic, and this will be a week off.  Match Play also does not work well in our format, and we will instead be playing the Corales Puntacana Championship that week.

Additional Notes:

Before the season begins, I'm open to any discussion about potential tweaks to the format.  I created this in a manner I felt would be the best mix of accessible and engaging for the entire season, but I'm also no dictator and open to discussion of any adjustments that may be beneficial.  Ultimately I'd like to find something that would be the most fun for the most amount of people.  The more people interested in participating the better!

I'm also hoping to maximize week to week discussion in here.  In my eyes a fantasy league should be more than just silently making your picks each week and moving on.  I know I've used the word engagement a few times, and I'm certainly hoping to see that here too!  Discussion of the week's events, friendly trash talk and banter, etc is highly encouraged!

I'm not 100% certain who all has been primarily involved with the fantasy golf in the past, but I'll ask anyone to tag any member who you think may be interested, in case they don't see this on their own.  I've been involved in leagues on Fantrax for years, I believe they have a very solid system, a good app for easy mobile management, and any questions about its functionality just let me know.

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wasn't able to join the league @Fritz

Sorry, but the draft for this league has been completed. You can no longer join this league.

I used the link you indicated.

Sorry, but you cannot access that league right now. This is either because you are not a member of that league, the website URL address is incorrect, or there is an error in the system preventing the league from being accessed. If this is an error on our part, we have already been alerted and will probably have it accessible very soon. If you are no longer a member of this league, it could be caused by you being removed from the league, or possibly the URL (website address) is not correct (do not use a bookmark - it may have been altered or not copied/saved correctly). If you feel this is an error, you may contact us via the feedback form.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

15 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Wasn't able to join the league @Fritz

I used the link you indicated.

Thanks for the heads up.  There isn't a draft so I just marked it complete, didn't realize that would block people from joining.  I undid the draft and allowed player claims before the draft happens, so that should keep it open for everyone to join.  I believe it should be available now.

-Eric

• iacas pinned this topic
  • Administrator

I pinned the topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@Fritz 

I've installed the Mobile App and have Logged in.
I'm getting the option to join a private league.
You indicate, Lets call this the "TST Fantasy Cup" but it appears users will need a password also.
In the past we have used like "TSTFantasy" or "FantasyTST" 
Have you set up this on the site? 

Am I missing something? thx.

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

@Fritz 

I've installed the Mobile App and have Logged in.
I'm getting the option to join a private league.
You indicate, Lets call this the "TST Fantasy Cup" but it appears users will need a password also.
In the past we have used like "TSTFantasy" or "FantasyTST" 
Have you set up this on the site? 

Am I missing something? thx.

You've already joined, you shouldn't have to join anything else on the app.  The TST Fantasy Cup portion was something I planned to just manually calculate and update here.

Within the app, once you're logged in, you should simply be able to hut the 3 lines in the bottom right to open the main menu, then the league named TST Fantasy PGA should ve accessible from there

-Eric

Would love to drum up interest here, just tagging guys who posted/participated in previous years and may be interested in participating again under the new format.  Spread the word to any other TST members that may be interested!

@Wally Fairway @Shindig @Sandy Lie @Warren Zevon @phillyk @boogielicious @DaveP043 @Troy Ocker @bweiss711 @Antneye @StuM

-Eric

Yeah, I have dropped off from fantasy golf the past few years, I'd love to get back.  Thank you for thinking of me! 😃 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Bump, @gogolfing what do you think?
Are you going to give this format a go?

@Friz I recruited two friends who joined the league late in the season last year.
They will be joining. Question, how do we see the other Teams who have signed up?

Maybe give a shout out to let everyone know who is playing on this thread?

I’m going to bow out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Bump, @gogolfing what do you think?
Are you going to give this format a go?

@Friz I recruited two friends who joined the league late in the season last year.
They will be joining. Question, how do we see the other Teams who have signed up?

Maybe give a shout out to let everyone know who is playing on this thread?

On the home page for the league if you're on the website, there will be a list of "Standings".  This will be all active teams, only three of us in there so far (the 4th is a test account I used that will be removed before we start).  If you click on a team, it'll take you to their roster, but you won't be able to see it until each event starts.  

image.thumb.png.aa556bae9ea64c45f33b297f14b2bc3b.png

-Eric

Okay, I signed up and it looks like there's a draft?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Okay, I signed up and it looks like there's a draft?

There is not an actual draft.  It just has to live in a "pre-draft" state to stay open for people to join.  You can simply pick up the players you want to use at any time by going to Players and hitting the green + to add them to your team.

This week is just a trial run so it won't count towards your season totals, but once we get into the actual season you'll only be able to have a player for 4 tournaments all season, it will just be up to you each week to drop and pick up the 6 you want each week, otherwise your previous week's 6 will carry over 

-Eric

9 hours ago, Friz said:

This week is just a trial run

Are we able to pick our players yet?
If so, I'm not understanding the method which to select them?
Picks.PNG

38 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Are we able to pick our players yet?
If so, I'm not understanding the method which to select them?
Picks.PNG

Yeah, glad you asked, i was going to check and see if everyone was comfortable with the team selection process, and part of why I wanted a trial week so everyone could get used to it.  If you're on the app, you can go to the 3 bars in the bottom right to open up the main menu, find our league, then go to Players.  

image.thumb.png.b3865ec47c16460e92f9b23c6e5fc228.png

Once youre in the list of players, it will by default show everyone on Tour, which you can scroll through this list.  Anyone with a Green Checkmark by their name indicates they are in the field this week.  You can search for a specific player by name in the search box in the top right.  Or if you hit the blue circle, it will open up filters, and in the filter drop down there is an option to filter by only players in the upcoming event.

image.thumb.png.0be7942e6556b1bbbc581235df367f7f.png

image.png.c66c83fa88064432d18b55f9ec72fb0d.png

Once you find the player you want to add for your team, hit the green + next to his name, it should pop up the yellow box shown below, in which you can simply hit Submit Now, and that player will be added.  Repeat for your other 5 spots until you have a roster of 6.

image.png.94e04224585af76b3899147ad6dbc75b.png

Once we get past the first week, players will stay on your roster each week if you don't take any action.  In order to change your roster between tournaments, when you add a new player, you'll need to hit Next instead of Submit Now, and it will take you to your team roster to drop one of your existing players.

Alternatively, you can go directly to your team roster and Drop them all with the red minus symbol before making new selections each week.

-Eric

Can we draft from the web?  I try very much to not do things on my phone a lot of the time.  I slip when I'm consciously resting, but that's about it.  Or I guess if I'm anticipating an important email.

-- Michael | My swing!