IGNORED

2023 TST Outing (OH/PA/MI/NY/WV) - Join Us May 20 @ Little Mountain!

StuM

21 hours ago, Old1964 said:

I am back at it. Got cleared by the neurosurgeon. Live in Mid-Michigan and would be glad to join for a Saturday/Sunday golf if there is room. Sounds like a good time. 

I am also in Michigan.  I will msg you and the others here about sharing a ride.  Will also put you on the Sunday list

Sat. May 20th - Little Mountain

1. @StuM
  2. @iacas
  3. @ChetlovesMer
  4. @dennyjones
  5. @boogielicious
  6. @klineka
  7. @billchao
  8. @saevel25
  9. @bkuehn1952
  10. @Divot Master
  11. @vasaribm
  12. @David L Yskes
  13. @Jeremie Boop
  14. @CarlSpackler
  15. @GolfLug
  16. @cedrictheo
  17. @rwolfe
  18. @BradSomrak
  19. @DrizZzY
  20. @jtroutman
  21. @Greenshirt100
  22. @brockman21
  23. @Old1964

Sun, May 21st - Location TBD

1. @StuM
  2. @dennyjones
  3. @David L Yskes
  4. @Old1964
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Did you add the sixth tee time yet, @StuM?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Did you add the sixth tee time yet, @StuM?

Yes, As of now I have 6 tee times reserved and last time I spoke to them I could add a 7th if needed.  I do not know if that 7th tee time is still open for us (just left them a VM).  

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, StuM said:

Yes, As of now I have 6 tee times reserved and last time I spoke to them I could add a 7th if needed.  I do not know if that 7th tee time is still open for us (just left them a VM).

We don't need a seventh. I think you had only 5 before, so the sixth is good as we're over 20 people.

We may not end up needing > 5, because some people may drop out. Hopefully not, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 8:56 AM, StuM said:

I am putting out a "LAST CALL" for golfers on May 20th at Little Mountain (Cleveland, OH area).  As of now we have 23 on the list and I can accommodate up to 28.

In Summary:

If you want to golf, I need to know by April 15th.  I will "Give back" a tee time if I do not need it by then.

If you need to cancel, Please let me know by April 30th since I need to give final confirmation by May 5th.  I am really optimistic that there will be no cancelations.  Let's hope that is the case.

Looking forward to Spring and May 20th.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stuart M.

51 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I just started walking (like a wounded duck) without a cane this week, but I’m still planning to do this. 

I'm coming even if I can't make a full swing.   I'm working hard to get there.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

Y'all can play whatever tees — or even just from 150 yards and in — or whatever you need.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

(edited)
15 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I just started walking (like a wounded duck) without a cane this week, but I’m still planning to do this. 

You are added...CORRECTION, You are already on the list.

Sat. May 20th - Little Mountain

1. @StuM
  2. @iacas
  3. @ChetlovesMer
  4. @dennyjones
  5. @boogielicious
  6. @klineka
  7. @billchao
  8. @saevel25
  9. @bkuehn1952
  10. @Divot Master
  11. @vasaribm
  12. @David L Yskes
  13. @Jeremie Boop
  14. @CarlSpackler
  15. @GolfLug
  16. @cedrictheo
  17. @rwolfe
  18. @BradSomrak
  19. @DrizZzY
  20. @jtroutman
  21. @Greenshirt100
  22. @brockman21
  23. @Old1964

Sun, May 21st - Location TBD

1. @StuM
  2. @dennyjones
  3. @David L Yskes
  4. @Old1964
Edited by StuM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

This is so darn cool!

I am so looking forward to putting faces to the 'names' I haven't met in person and stinking up course at the same time.. 😄. I am planning to leave on Sunday so would be game for dinner somewhere close by after. Hope y'all can stay too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

• Administrator

So, question, @StuM… What "games" do you foresee playing at this?

Just a skins game? A small points game… with partners, or no? Nassaus within the foursomes, or those as an add-on if groups want to do that?

In the past, if you know… we've done something like $20, but that's split up between a points game and skins, or net and gross and then skins… or whatever. You could do whatever you want. "Best three-hole stretch/net" or "most net birdies" or whatever.

One game — and I'm only mentioning it because it's not often played so most don't think of it, but we played it at Sand Valley and at an event last year IIRC — is that partners (or foursomes) obviously play 36 or 72 holes, and so they have to take some number — maybe 24 or 50 scores — (to par or just the raw number). They have to decide before teeing off on the next hole.

Regarding groupings, I play with a decent number of people, and many are my students who, even though they say they wouldn't, might be nervous if I'm playing with them. So…

Here's a really quick stab at making some groupings (1 and 2 are a foursome, etc.) and partnerships (the names separated by "and"). I put you first so you can finish up and start with scoring… or just wait until the end like we typically do and do it at the bar/restaurant/whatever afterward.

1. @StuM and @CarlSpackler
  2. @cedrictheo and @GolfLug
  3. @iacas and @saevel25
  4. @klineka and @ChetlovesMer
  5. @billchao and @brockman21
  6. @rwolfe and @jtroutman
  7. @boogielicious and @Greenshirt100
  8. @DrizZzY and @BradSomrak
  9. @Divot Master and @vasaribm
  10. @bkuehn1952 and @Jeremie Boop
  11. @Old1964 and @David L Yskes
  12. @dennyjones as the "alternate" for now in case he's still not quite at the end of the comeback trail.

I think those are half-decent groupings. Subject to change.

If you hate your group, DM me or iMessage me or something and let me know. Or tell @StuM. Or post here about what an idiot I am to pair you with that guy, or whatever. 😄

My mind went to something crazy like.

holes 1-6 Alternate Shot

holes 7-12 Best Ball

holes 13-16 Scramble

Or in reverse if you want to go east to hard in terms of format. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

holes 1-6 Alternate Shot

holes 13-16 Scramble

People will want to play their own ball for a score, though. And not just hit half the shots, either, like in alternate shot.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

People will want to play their own ball for a score, though. And not just hit half the shots, either, like in alternate shot.

Yea, that’s true. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Keep it simple and fun if I am asked. Two man teams- net best score- front/back/overall Nassau. Every one plays there own ball. @iacasto make team pairings from a hat 😉.

It worked great at Beaver Creek a few years ago. 

Just now, GolfLug said:

Keep it simple and fun if I am asked. Two man teams- net best score- front/back/overall Nassau. Every one plays there own ball. @iacasto make team pairings from a hat 😉

P.S. also keeps everyone in the game if some are having a bad day.

Add $5 pots for skins and CTPs. 

Vishal S.

18 hours ago, iacas said:

So, question, @StuM… What "games" do you foresee playing at this?

Just a skins game? A small points game… with partners, or no? Nassaus within the foursomes, or those as an add-on if groups want to do that?

In the past, if you know… we've done something like $20, but that's split up between a points game and skins, or net and gross and then skins… or whatever. You could do whatever you want. "Best three-hole stretch/net" or "most net birdies" or whatever.

One game — and I'm only mentioning it because it's not often played so most don't think of it, but we played it at Sand Valley and at an event last year IIRC — is that partners (or foursomes) obviously play 36 or 72 holes, and so they have to take some number — maybe 24 or 50 scores — (to par or just the raw number). They have to decide before teeing off on the next hole.

I am not very creative shen it comes to side games so suggestions are welcomed.

Since Nassau’s are within a group each group can decide that for themselves.

I do not recall what it was called but What we did at Reserve Run last year was fun and skins are always good.

We could also do closest to the pin on each par-3. We each throw in a buck for each par 3.  

Stuart M.

I’m down to throw in $20 for whatever. Last year I even won a skin 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
10 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Two man teams- net best score- front/back/overall Nassau.

That's typically per group, but I think you're saying we can do it off points and just have the three competitions: front, back, total. Maybe $5 each, with $5 going toward skins?

What are the points if you do it that way? Or just net best ball score? With ties paying all tied teams?

Maybe 80% handicaps?

10 hours ago, GolfLug said:

It worked great at Beaver Creek a few years ago.

I honestly don't remember what we did there.

5 hours ago, StuM said:

I am not very creative shen it comes to side games so suggestions are welcomed.

I generally like something "easy" but also somewhat creative. Something that keeps both players involved without putting pressure on both players on all holes.

5 hours ago, StuM said:

Since Nassau’s are within a group each group can decide that for themselves.

I think he just meant front, back, total. Three little competitions. That way if you have a horrible front nine you can still compete again on the back nine.

5 hours ago, StuM said:

We could also do closest to the pin on each par-3. We each throw in a buck for each par 3.  

That's okay… if you want to send the first group out with sticks.

FWIW Little Mountain has five par threes.

c7584f76a379d59e19fc2174_l.jpg

So that's $5, and so maybe everyone can just kick in $25:

• $5 front (best ball net 80% score)
  • $5 back (best ball net 80% score)
  • $5 total (best ball net 80% score)
  • $5 net skins (same 80% handicap)
  • $5 CTP (first group out has some special markers with enough space to write the name)