IGNORED

2023 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Ew, the dreaded three-putt par. 

I’m never going to complain about a tap-in par. If I lost any strokes three putting from 60’ it’s not a lot. Hell I actually gained strokes putting from 60’ for the round by making the second one of the day.

Expectations matter. I’m expected to three putt from that distance. And I certainly won’t let a three putt par make me lose sight of the fact that I hit a good drive followed up by a good 4i to get me there in the first place. It was a good hole.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Congrats on the 60 footer for birdie though.

It was like the golf gods just being goofy with me. Well you missed more than your fair share of putts inside 10’ today, so here’s a long one to hole for fun. And it was after hitting a relatively poor wedge shot, too. If I hit a good wedge and put it to 8’, I probably would have made par 😉

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At the new course I birdied the 5th hardest hole #3. It is also the tee box that is in my back yard. Playing 375, I hit driver up the left side leaving 110 to a middle pin. Knowing not to go deep (green falls down past that to a lower back shelf) I hit a controlled gap wedge to 8 feet. Played just outside the hole, I firmed it on the line and walked with 3. It took the sting out of the opening hole double, lol. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Back to my original course for some Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde golf. Starting with a 3 putt, a few trees, and a water casualty, I finished the front with a 3 putt from 15 feet to shoot 50 with lots of doubs and a trip. Yep, I did that. I promptly went on a tear with a kick in birdie on 10, lip out birdie chip on 11, solid pars, then stuffed a wedge on 15 to 12 feet for birdie 2, then again from the fairway bunker on 17 making a slick downhiller from 8 feet for birdie 3.  I ended up 36 on the back for some kind of redemption and won my partner match. He shot 36-34 and we combined on the back for a 32.  I couldn't do anything right for 9 and then I couldn't do much wrong for the next. What a game! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Made birdie on #1 at Quail Brook on Wednesday - the highlight of an otherwise forgettable round. It was cold, windy, and drizzling the whole time.

I hit my drive about 240 in the middle of the fairway and had about 220 left to the green. Managed to hit a good hybrid on the green 25’ left of the pin. Missed the eagle but tapped in for birdie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

New home course…#1 305 sharp dog leg with postage stamp elevated green. Hit 5 wood lob wedge to 2 feet for birdie. #2 470 par 5 with a lake carry to green. Hit driver 7 iron, chipped to a foot for birdie #2. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2021 I almost made all 18. 2022 was a wasted season. Going to come back strong in 2023!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Had my first birdie of the year on my away course hole 18. Should have had two in a row on 1 (started on 10). I had a bunch of pars, two WTF holes that were into 20-30 mph winds. But all in all a pretty good first 18 of the year.

I also nearly drove the green on 17, down hill with a 20 mph wind. About a 290 yard shot. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The course I play men’s league in finally opened this week and I got my first round in today.  3 birdies… 2 on Par 5s, 1 on a Par 4.

It was also my best score since late 2021 (76, 4 over).  There was a lot of hard work during the offseason, so very encouraging to see some positive results early in the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two more rounds at the backyard course...

Yesterday on 3 - Driver, wedge, 8 footer

Today on 1 - 4 iron, 54 from 108 to 3 feet, draino, Number 7 par 3 hit a 7 iron 170 to kick-in range, On 12 playing 495 - Driver -7 iron- made the 15 footer for EAGLE!!! 

So number 3 and 1 were repeats, 7 was a first timer, and 12 improved by one. Too bad I had enough doubles to shoot 80. 

Birdied our hardest par 3 today, smooth 6 iron to 4 feet and I was playing in the Senior A team match, which we won.  

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Three birdies on the front 9 this morning. One repeat and two new.

Finally birdied the elusive first hole. Honestly don't remember the last time I birdied it, maybe 2 years ago, possibly longer. Hit a perfect drive, and then approach shot to almost tap in range, maybe 2 feet, which thankfully I made.

Also birdie the par-5 8th holes. Hit another great drive, but toe hooked my 6 iron and ended up left of the green. Hit a nice pitch over a greenside bunker to about 5 feet and then made a slight left to right putt.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Played my very first round of the year Saturday and birdied the first hole thanks to a pretty spectacular 9I draw out of the trees to three feet of the hole.

Didn't come particularly close to another after that, but I'm on the board.

• Thumbs Up 2

New course again with 2 rounds this weekend. First round, broke 80 with no birdies, but was on #2 in 2 with a three putt from 60 feet (pretty tough 2 putt). Sunday, hit the 180 yard #5 with a 6 iron and made a 20 footer for a 2 and another hole off the list. 

I had a 9 hole match after work with my brother and put up 2 birdies. The first one was a repeat of the hardest hole with a monster drive through the chute which left a 9 iron to a front pin. From 144, I hit it to 2 feet for a kick-in.  To number 8, I blocked one that ended up in the primary rough of the adjoining fairway. Took 7 iron from 168 and took it over the trees to about 20 feet with a flattish putt (kind of on the spine of a break). Hit it at the pin, broke a little right, broke a little left and then poured in at 6:30. It was nice to get 8 out of the way! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dog legged par 5, on the green in 2 with 10feet to the hole.
Putted past the hole ended up with a Birdie.

Of course considering I play my home course 20 times (18 league play, 2 league related play) I am going to have to birdie a hole each week.
No pressure!

• Thumbs Up 2

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Hole 17.  Shortish par 5 around 500 yards.  Hit a great driver followed by 4 hybrid to get my ball around or possibly less than 20 yards.  Not a great chip but on the green and maybe 15 to 20 feet.  Straight putt and great direction and distance control got me a birdie.

• Thumbs Up 2

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Played in a shotgun start the other day and birdied the first hole (#16, 425 y par 4).  Hit a drive to 215 away and 3 wood to about 15 feet (yes it was a big 3 wood for me, but fairways are pretty firm out here these days).  The putt was a bit of a slider maybe a cup and 1/2, but I made it and was on my way to breaking 90 for the first time quite some time.  🤠

• Thumbs Up 1

Butch

Two more rounds in the book with a single birdie on 1 last weekend (short par 4 - 5 wood/LW). Yesterday afternoon, I had some decent looks on the front, but didn't get one until 12 where I piped a drive leaving 205 to the pin. Eager to get it close, I semi top a 4 iron about 170 yards (the worms put on their helmets) and it left a 30 yard pitch where I got it to 4 feet and rammed it in.  Those were both repeats, but I did knock down a new birdie on 14, a shortish par 4 at 360, where I hit driver/LW to 12 feet. Reading a slight break going against the afternoon grain, I played it straight and made the putt just toppling the ball over the edge.