IGNORED

4 Questions - What Brought You to TST, Why do You Stay, How Has it Helped, and How Can You Get More Out of TST?

StuM

Not sure why but I think it would be interesting to know a little about how and why were are active on TST.  Thus I am posing 4 questions

1) Why/How did you first come to TST?

2) What keeps you coming back to TST?

3) What one or two things on TST have had the most impact on your golf game?

3) Is there anything you think you should do to get more value out of TST?

My Answers:

#1: I stumbled upon TST back in early 2020, during the height of the pandemic shutdown, because I was having problems with the GameGolf web site and could not get a response from GG.  I searched the web for information and came across the "Is Game Golf Dead" thread.  That led to reading other threads and getting deeper into TST.  

#2: I stay for the comradery.  I've only met a few other TST members and not very often but those I have met are good people and I enjoy their company.  There are members I've never met that I enjoy reading their comments and feel that if I were to get randomly paired with them it would be an enjoyable round.  I have local golf friends & friends that golf but many of them do not want to get into some of the deep conversations nor do they have the breadth of knowledge of many on TST.  They are fun to golf with but the conversations are different.

#3: I quickly became interested in AimPoint and took an AimPoint lesson in early 2021 and have used it ever since and I am a better putter now.  

#4: I really need to take advantage of the various parts of TST that will actually help improve my game.  I am specifically thinking of MySwing, 5-Minutes Daily Practice & the COVID Drills. I've started them a few times but seem to let them slide after short time.  Its not that I am not interested or do not find value in them, I just get busy and distracted and stop doing them.  I should also re-read LSW.  I find it one of those books that each time I pick it up I find something new.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1) Why/How did you first come to TST?

internet search for golf instruction tips

Stay current on current golf events, topics,   instruction

3) What one or two things on TST have had the most impact on your golf game?

MySwing thread and LSW - no question

4) Is there anything you think you should do to get more value out of TST?

Participate in group events - get to know each other better

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Apparently I joined 14 years ago, which blows my mind, there's no way that should have been 14 years ago

Anyways, I have no idea how I stumbled upon this site, but I was drawn in and ultimately have stayed all of these years because this is by far the most top-notch and accurate, science-based, truth seeking instruction on the internets

Colin P.

I joined this forum for the same reason that I've joined others.  It's not everyday that people get to meet a club champion.  I've won my club's club championship 5 times now and I don't see that ending anytime soon.  Most people who are on forums don't really understand good golf or how to play the game.  That's where I come in.  I'm here to mentor and lead by example.  

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Participate in group events - get to know each other better

May 20th???  Who says family of the lake is more important than golf? Just kidding

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1) researching golf forums

2) knowledge, people, community 

3) LSW, knowledge on the site in general has brought me to where I am today

4) we need to get an outing at bandon dunes or something. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

4) we need to get an outing at bandon dunes or something. 

If you build it, they will come.

Stuart M.

• iacas changed the title to 4 Questions - What Brought You to TST, Why do You Stay, How Has it Helped, and How Can You Get More Out of TST?

I was searching the internet for golf instruction information, before 5 Simple Keys was introduced on the website. 

I happened upon this golf forum. 

The community.

Meeting Erik and going up to Erie for golf lessons. 

Nothing comes to mind immediately. I will try to keep this in mind. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I joined in 2007 because I was researching golf topics including instruction and equipment trends. I stayed because the people here are reasonable and the moderators keep it moving along. I think the best thing I have learned is to shatter some golf illusions through the topics (and follow up instruction/practice) and to know that my golf swing is ever evolving.  The only thing I would do to increase value would be to start doing more member product reviews like we used to do in the past. Way back when, I was actually product tested Lamkin REL grips, Ian Poulter sportswear, and training aids.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

A long time ago was searching through the net for information and chat groups about golf 

I like the information and group of people.  Am not using many of the other sites I had logged into around that time.

Information

Can't really think of anything now

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Desire to suck less at golf. Maybe to show my son something about golf back when I could still beat him. Not sure how I found the site the first time.

Desire to suck less at golf and moderate moderation which keeps the signal/noise ratio higher

Myth busting of old instruction info (ball flight laws, short game vs long game, etc)

How to practice

Implement more of the how to practice info (I still don't practice slow enough which is at odds with my response to the first question). I probably should add take lessons.

War Eagle!

• Administrator

I created it. First as a blog, then the forum when no other existing forums wanted to partner with us to cross-promote each other.

Compulsion, mostly. 😉

I'm not sure if anything here has, but I hope to have made a small dent in the games of y'all.

3) Is there anything you think you should do to get more value out of TST?

Hmmmm… 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was looking up club reviews and found TST, lurked for a while, then finally decided to sign up and join the community. And I mean a while… the clubs I were looking at released in 2009, and according to my profile, I’ve been a member since 2012 😃

The community, first and foremost  I’ve met a lot of people over the years I consider my friends, whether in person or simply online.

Obviously the information available here, working with and learning from @iacas over the years had the biggest impact. I’d say a second thing is meeting different people and learning how they approach this game and applying that knowledge into my own game is impactful, as well.

4) Is there anything you think you should do to get more value out of TST?

I’m pretty sure I’ve gotten more value out of TST than I could ever have imagined.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I came looking for golf instruction information. I went to a local guy and saw some stuff on the internet, but they never answered for me the question, “why?”. Being an engineer I needed to know the why behind the techniques being taught in the golf swing, not just ‘because Ben Hogan did it this way’. It was frustrating.

Then I came across The Sand Trap. And in posts by @iacas and @mvmac I saw that the answered the why behind the swing method philosophies. I had tried tried S&T and saw that Erik and Dave Wedzic were doing a clinic clinic nearby and went to it. I was hooked.

I get to keep learning. In my field we had an expression, “A good engineer knows what they don’t know.” Then we try our best to learn that unknown and that comes from research and finding experts to learn from and verified data. The Sand Trap provides access to that and a lot of it is free. 

Learning from Erik and getting to meet other TST members and staff like @billchao @nevets88 @georgep @jamo

3) Is there anything you think you should do to get more value out of TST?

I wish folks coming to TST would come with with an open mind and and an attitude that they could learn from others. Even if you are the best in your field, you can always learn from others.

As a staff member, I try to steer new posters into that thinking. I cringe at new posts like one we had recently where a 20 HC comes in and has all the answers because they read it or saw a video or because they are convinced Ben Hogan did it. Then they play the victim when others don’t agree. I wish I could covey the learning mentality on them.

We have plus handicap members on this forum and they know that there is more to learn. Why would I as an 11 think I know more? Thankfully most members are not that way.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

44 minutes ago, colin007 said:

The pretty ones get the most value....

Uh Oh, If that is true I think I'm not likely to get much value. 😜

Stuart M.

5 hours ago, StuM said:

Uh Oh, If that is true I think I'm not likely to get much value. 😜

You get what you put in! 🙃

Colin P.