IGNORED

2024 U.S. Open at Pinehurst

colin007

When did Tiger turn into a terrible putter?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, colin007 said:

When did Tiger turn into a terrible putter?

Isn’t Tiger’s putting overrated? I thought he was a fairly average putter most of his career.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, billchao said:

Isn’t Tiger’s putting overrated? I thought he was a fairly average putter most of his career.

SG:P

• 2004 - 1st 0.853
  • 2005 - 5th 0.659
  • 2006 - 21st 0.461
  • 2007 - 2nd 0.712
  • 2008 - N/A
  • 2009 - 2nd 0.877
  • 2010 - N/A
  • 2011 - N/A
  • 2012 - 32nd 0.339
  • 2013 - 23rd 0.426
  • 2014 - N/A
  • 2015 - N/A

Average: 12th @ 0.618 strokes gained

I mean… he's not as good as I am, but… that's pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

SG:P

• 2004 - 1st 0.853
  • 2005 - 5th 0.659
  • 2006 - 21st 0.461
  • 2007 - 2nd 0.712
  • 2008 - N/A
  • 2009 - 2nd 0.877
  • 2010 - N/A
  • 2011 - N/A
  • 2012 - 32nd 0.339
  • 2013 - 23rd 0.426
  • 2014 - N/A
  • 2015 - N/A

Average: 12th @ 0.618 strokes gained

I mean… he's not as good as I am, but…

Well he hasn’t been good at putting for 15 years 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

So they gave Tiger's group a clock warning......and now it's backed up on the Par 3.  Brilliant.

Bill - 

He turned a corner in 2020.

Doesn't help that he rarely plays tournaments anymore. He could also be putting worse partly because the rest of the game has gone downhill.

Tiger SG.png

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

It just seems like his first putts are wildly off at times, like he'll blow it by like 8 feet sometimes, and I've seen him come up woefully short other times

Colin P.

Nearly one month after Rory McIlroy filed for divorce from Erica Stoll, he confirmed they have reconciled after the pair "resolved our differences."

Good for them, and their kid, but how does his game react to an almost divorce?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

44 minutes ago, colin007 said:

It just seems like his first putts are wildly off at times, like he'll blow it by like 8 feet sometimes, and I've seen him come up woefully short other times

I also go with this one. Tiger was always a great lag putter. We normally remember all the clutch putts he made but I think that his strength was always speed. Don't know if stats back that up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Scheffler is feeling the after effects of the delousing he got in jail and few weeks back.

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, EnterSandTrap said:

Toughest test in golf.  
Please…

It’s a tough balance today with just how good the players are. We don’t want it to turn into a clown show where luck plays a significant role, and we don’t want it to be a cake walk. Only 16 players shot under par today. I’d say it was a pretty good set up.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

43 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It’s a tough balance today with just how good the players are. We don’t want it to turn into a clown show where luck plays a significant role, and we don’t want it to be a cake walk. Only 16 players shot under par today. I’d say it was a pretty good set up.

As far as I can tell today it’s not even the toughest test of golf in the month of June.  

On 6/11/2024 at 7:24 AM, colin007 said:

I always pull for Rors.

Go Rors!

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

The courses played +3.2 relative to par on the first day. 

That is why Rory's and Cantlay's strokes gained were +8.2 better than average. They played stupidly good on a very tough test. It happens. Some people can have one day of good golf. There are 4 rounds. just for some perspective and to put some FACTS behind what you said. 

The Memorial played +1.5 relative to par. So the first round of The US Open played 2x as hard as the Memorial did. 
The Masters played +1.91 relative to par. 
The RBC played +0.29 relative to par.
The Charles Swab played +0.82 relative to par. 

If that continues it would be the toughest test of golf by like 1.3 strokes. Nearly 68% tougher. 

D93E3FD8-D152-429E-B50A-0EC3E7467DA2.gif.c322aea691a001258cdd501c0b8cced8.gif

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The courses played +3.2 relative to par on the first day. 

That is why Rory's and Cantlay's strokes gained were +8.2 better than average. They played stupidly good on a very tough test. It happens. Some people can have one day of good golf. There are 4 rounds. just for some perspective and to put some FACTS behind what you said. 

The Memorial played +1.5 relative to par. So the first round of The US Open played 2x as hard as the Memorial did. 
The Masters played +1.91 relative to par. 
The RBC played +0.29 relative to par.
The Charles Swab played +0.82 relative to par. 

If that continues it would be the toughest test of golf by like 1.3 strokes. Nearly 68% tougher. 

First, thanks for capitalizing and using bold print for the word “facts.”   
That was helpful.  
Second, it must be a “fact” that the score relative to par today had nothing to do with the quality of the entire US Open field vs the quality of the entire Memorial field on day one.  
Again, thanks for the text equivalent of yelling.  

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, EnterSandTrap said:

Again, thanks for the text equivalent of yelling.

Buddy… Bolding and capitalizing one word out of over 120 is not yelling.

And seriously, be a student of history or something. The U.S. Open often gets harder as it goes on. -5 might end up as the winning score. Plus, there wasn't a ton of wind today. And… these players are pretty good.

The "these courses are too easy" takes can just go away. We've had enough with one person's perpetual posts on that topic, we don't need another.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets