IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Slight reach, but I've seen some pretty nasty golf shirts.  One guy that used to work for me was a golfer, he'd keep a golf shirt in his trunk so he could throw it on when the calls were slow and he could fit in a round after work.  I'm not certain how often he washed it, but sitting in his trunk it was a wrinkled mess with bacon collars.  That was my reference point when saying I'd rather see him in a nice clean t-shirt over what he typically wore.  Otherwise I'd agree nice golf shirt > nice t-shirt.

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Really? This is reaching a little guys don't you think? Obviously wearing tattered clothing doesn't look good but isn't that a little off topic? A nice golf shirt looks better than even a nice t-shirt. To say differently seems to cheapen your opinion IMHO. If you think that t-shirts are perfectly fine apparel for the golf course, and you find a golf course without a proper dress code, then more power to you, wear them.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do however think there can be some ugly ass golf shirts out there. Remember these from the 1999 Ryder Cup?

Ryder-Cup-1999-shirts.jpg

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Agreed. On a similar topic, I do find it slightly interesting that we cling to the high-class opinion of golf shorts. They're almost all polyester these days, basically a beige swimsuit minus the elastic waistband and with differently placed pockets.

Absolutely. Logically, there's basically nothing different. Actually, I remember the first time I tried on golf shorts a long time ago. That there was my first thought, "Wow, these feel like stiff swim trunks. Am I going to feel weird wearing these?" I didn't, but they still feel like stiff swim trunks. :-D (Don't even get me started on bikinis vs underwear. Seriously, like there's a difference. :roll: )

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

It's not so much the clothes as much as the possible side effects of allowing the code to be ignored. Anyone that frequents private courses and nicer public courses where the code is honored will likely attest that everything from the condition of the course to the pace of play is better. I play both types and my experience is courses with unenforced dress codes are without fail in the worst condition. The lack of respect for course policy leads to other bad behavior and people without resolve follow suit. It's easy for many to not replace a divot when there are hundreds of others scattered in the fairway. Same with not repairing ball marks. The I don't give a shit attitude becomes a plague.

You're trying to draw causation from correlation.  The courses you speak of that don't enforce a dress code also happen to be the tracks that are the cheapest.  That is going to lead to two things.

1) There's not as much revenue to reinvest into the grounds and upkeep to keep the course in as nice of shape, Rangers to enforce rules, etc.

2) Typically the absolute hacks, and the once or twice a year golfer, and the guy who uses golf as something to do while he drinks a case of beer, all tend to gravitate towards the low rent goat pastures.  These are the places who don't enforce or have a dress code.  Those types of golfers aren't going to go out and pay a lot of money to play the nicer premium courses (which typically do enforce their dress code).  Pebble Beach could drop their dress code and it wouldn't change anything because only legit golfers who know how to behave on a golf course will pay the money to play there.  It's the extreme but it would apply even at your local level.

Personally I would contend that it's as much to do with pricing and other factors as the dress code.

I do find it absolutely dumbfounding how many people get worked up over the type of shorts someone is wearing.  I can understand no tanktops, tshirts, and basketball shorts/jeans.  However, it's laughable how many people are worked up about cargo shorts and other clothing, while glorifying polyester Nike golf shorts as the utmost in classy apparel.  Hell on the poll in the other thread there were 3 people who voted cargo shorts as one of the BIGGEST problems at golf courses today.  Unreal.

Originally Posted by eich41

Hell on the poll in the other thread there were 3 people who voted cargo shorts as one of the BIGGEST problems at golf courses today.  Unreal.

Yes, but they would have been referring to khaki ones.

Give me a 6 hour round and greens like a quarry over the sight of an ill-fitting pair of cargoes any day.

I have had many beautiful days on the golf course completely ruined because I saw a carelessly attired golfer kitting up just as I was driving out.

I also once saw someone putting his shoes on in the car park!!! Imagine it!!!!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I also once saw someone putting his shoes on in the car park!!! Imagine it!!!!

Bastards!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Headed out for 9 at a local, rural course about 10 minutes from where I live. First time there and I had a blast. First thing I noticed everone I encountered adhered to the dress code. It would have been easy to get around it here. I walked on as a single late Sun. afternoon. I caught the group ahead easily on 3 and the were cool and waited for me on tee 4 so I could play though. I caught the younger group of well dress kids on the green of 4 and the waited for me at tee 5. I caught the group ahead of them at 6 and followed them in. Good players on an easy course. Anyway code observed and the vibe on the course was great. No BS, I will be back.

Dave :-)

cue Allen Iverson press conference and switch out "practice" with "cargo shorts"

Four 5 Stand Bag Blue   PRO V1X

910 D2 9.5° - Diamana Kal'li 65g S

RBZ Stage 2 15° - Diamana Kal'li 72g S  

913H 21° /  910H 24° - Diamana Kal'li 82g S

710 AP2 6-PW - Dynamic Gold S300SL

Vokey Spin Milled 09  56° &  60° 

#1 White Hot 34" - Ionic Grip

My Swing  

Played Spyglass Hill today in an NCGA tournament.  I'm pretty sure they have a dress code requiring collared shirts, but one of my competitors didn't have one on.  He also had on some cargo-looking shorts.  Nothing was wrong with his on-course etiquette.  Whew.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by eich41

You're trying to draw causation from correlation.  The courses you speak of that don't enforce a dress code also happen to be the tracks that are the cheapest.  That is going to lead to two things.

1) There's not as much revenue to reinvest into the grounds and upkeep to keep the course in as nice of shape, Rangers to enforce rules, etc.

2) Typically the absolute hacks, and the once or twice a year golfer, and the guy who uses golf as something to do while he drinks a case of beer, all tend to gravitate towards the low rent goat pastures.  These are the places who don't enforce or have a dress code.  Those types of golfers aren't going to go out and pay a lot of money to play the nicer premium courses (which typically do enforce their dress code).  Pebble Beach could drop their dress code and it wouldn't change anything because only legit golfers who know how to behave on a golf course will pay the money to play there.  It's the extreme but it would apply even at your local level.

Personally I would contend that it's as much to do with pricing and other factors as the dress code.

I do find it absolutely dumbfounding how many people get worked up over the type of shorts someone is wearing.  I can understand no tanktops, tshirts, and basketball shorts/jeans.  However, it's laughable how many people are worked up about cargo shorts and other clothing, while glorifying polyester Nike golf shorts as the utmost in classy apparel.  Hell on the poll in the other thread there were 3 people who voted cargo shorts as one of the BIGGEST problems at golf courses today.  Unreal.

If these courses were the cheapest around I would agree with you but all are mid range as far as green fees are concerned. A bigger factor is the size and location of the courses. One has 4 courses on the site and gets a lot of traffic because it's in a busy metro area. As for cargo shorts I'm not one that think they are the enemy of golf, I've admitted I've worn them to the course a few times. IMO it's all about the attitude of the management. I play a 9 hole course with $9 green fees, the cheapest place I play, and the grounds there are very nice and I've never seen anyone there not wearing golf attire.

I wear cargo khaki shorts on occasion for one reason: usability.

I know it sounds stupid, but those extra pockets save me a ton of trips to my bag (for provisional balls/divot fixers/ball markers/tees/etc.).  I still wear a collared golf shirt and a belt, and look more properly dressed than 90% of the golfers out there.

At least around where I play, the properly dressed golfers seem to have LESS etiquette than the improper ones. I can't even count the amount of times I have had to go say something to someone for hitting into me when I was putting, and they were within 200 yards. Almost always this is someone over 60. I don't know why, but seniors love trying to hit me with golf balls.

If they weren't so old I would fight them ;)

Ilove all those pockets because I can hide balls all over those things! I never "Lose" a ball in the woods anymore!

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by mikelegacy

I wear cargo khaki shorts on occasion for one reason: usability.

I know it sounds stupid, but those extra pockets save me a ton of trips to my bag (for provisional balls/divot fixers/ball markers/tees/etc.).  I still wear a collared golf shirt and a belt, and look more properly dressed than 90% of the golfers out there.

At least around where I play, the properly dressed golfers seem to have LESS etiquette than the improper ones. I can't even count the amount of times I have had to go say something to someone for hitting into me when I was putting, and they were within 200 yards. Almost always this is someone over 60. I don't know why, but seniors love trying to hit me with golf balls.

Played last weekend where it was slow. The group ahead of us were slow and there were three old men behind us. The old men would catch up to us on the tee and on a par 3, they told us to hit into them. Soon realized they weren't kidding when one of them offered to do it. Then again, I never saw a group yell, swear, and throw their clubs as much as them. Grumpy old men.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

Originally Posted by mikelegacy

I laughed out loud, seriously.

On another note, I played a round Saturday morning in pressed khaki colored cargo shorts and a blue Adidas golf shirt, no one cursed me, I repaired my ball marks, and I still shot like crap :).

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

I'll wear the collared shirts.. but I will not tuck it in. Have no idea why there would be an issue.

I will continue to wear white/khaki shorts, even ones with cargo type pockets. I'm not on the tour.. and I'm not here to impress anyone. You will get to see more pastel/khaki colors on the golf course, you're welcome.

I will continue to wear my nike 'livestrong' shoes pretending they are golf shoes.  They're clean as can be, comfortable, and can easily blend in with the current golf shoes available.

nike-livestrong-2011-shoes3.jpg

Strict dress codes make the game feel like it's for elitists.. but respectable attire is obviously something courses should try to achieve.. it's part of the game. Because of it's past, we have to respect that.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

The only reason I wear golf shoes is because of the mud, grass clippings and goose turds. I can take a soapy brush to my pleather Foot Joy's. I also wear my shirt out, even at the club.

Read a sidebar in Golf magazine in the style section this AM pointing out many of the new golf duds are not very traditional. I haven't paid much attention but evidently the Puma line, and some of the Euro companies are making shorts and pants that are based on jeans designs. Five pockets, heavy seams and stitching, rivets etc. Apparently that's the stuff Rickie and some of the other tour guys are wearing. There was a picture of golf pants that looked a lot like jeans, denim in color with some funky window pane design.

Note: This thread is 1378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!