IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

2 hours ago, Billy Z said:

How much does lifestyle come into play deciding who is the greatest? Some will probably say it doesn't come into play at all, and should be based purely on golf skill, and some may say otherwise. What contrasting lifestyles these two golfers have had. If they both played in the same era, based on pure golf skill, I would have to give the edge to Tiger.

Tiger made more money faster than Jack, was set for life in his early 20’s and still had the competitive drive and skill to dominate the sport. Tiger wins 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both tiger and Jack highest ambitions in their golfing careers were centered on how many majors they had won. Each golfer geared up, rested up, and focused immensely on winning majors. And both set the standard, although didn't say this directly, that the greatest they could be would be with the number of Majors they would win.

“Jack was top three in a third of the Majors he played – he’s the best.”

Edited by Billy Z

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

10 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Both tiger and Jack highest ambitions in their golfing careers were centered on how many majors they had won. Each golfer geared up, rested up, and focused immensely on winning majors. And both set the standard, although didn't say this directly, that the greatest they could be would be with the number of Majors they would win.

default_wallbash2.gif

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

16 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Jack Nicklaus is the best at winning majors and coming second in majors.

After almost 7000 posts in the thread a few of us have gathered that.

This is a thread about who is or was the best player. It is not the same discussion.

The total number of majors thing is not the measure. Have you not realised this yet? 

Peter Thomson (5 Opens) was better than Greg Norman (2 Opens) according to your logic, even though Norman was Number 1 in OWGR for 331 weeks.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

2 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

This is not correct. First both focused on amateur championships. Tiger has more Junior and Senior. They then focused on college championships and both have 1. 

Then they both focused on PGA Tour wins. Jack, later in career, when he finally had more majors than others, moved the goal posts and stated majors were the only criteria. He never came close to Snead in total wins. He played some European and other worldwide tournaments, but mainly focused on the PGA Tour. 

It was Jack that complained about the week competition in majors like the PGA Championship. And it’s easy to make the top three when there are only four that have a chance to win!😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

This is not correct. First both focused on amateur championships. Tiger has more Junior and Senior. They then focused on college championships and both have 1. 

Exactly, and Jack used to refer to Amateur championships as majors.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

28 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Exactly, and Jack used to refer to Amateur championships as majors.

And why did he change the emphasis on those wins? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It's really cool how they're able to air condition modern courses these days.  😉

From your icon I'm thinking you're in the Pacific Northwest.  Who says it always rains here?  Do you have a round booked for Monday when it'll be105 degrees?

Bro, did you forget me?! We’ve chatted in DM. Speaking of, is that function now gone? I don’t see that anywhere. I was going to message you and @Vinsk (about different matters). 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Shorty said:

This is where we are in this thread:

Tiger has been proven beyond doubt that he is the greatest.

There’s no “proof” here, but the majority would agree with that opinion./

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

Uhm, no.

We’ve been over this, @Billy Z. Many, many, many times.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 hours ago, Throwback said:

I agree with Shorty.

You and Shorty should call 911, or the Australian version in Shorty's case, and report the guy holding the gun to your head forcing you to click on and read this thread.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

7 minutes ago, turtleback said:

You and Shorty should call 911, or the Australian version in Shorty's case, and report the guy holding the gun to your head forcing you to click on and read this thread.

LOL , yeah your right , just can't figure this is still a point of discussion after so long.

13 minutes ago, Throwback said:

LOL , yeah your right , just can't figure this is still a point of discussion after so long.

Because people still come here and make silly comments.  Like you did.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 1 month later...
f4b7f3ddaeeed8687b0fb048b3ef0bbe

"I'm not done," 82-time PGA Tour winner Tiger Woods repeated after retired NBA star Dwyane Wade...

I do not think his comment “I’m not done” simply meant he expected he could do more in his professional career.  He neither accepted nor declined the monicker of GOAT.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator

To those asking sarcastically if we could consider someone with 12 or 13 majors and 60 or 70 wins the GOAT someday… how’s that working out? Rory is stuck. Spieth. Koepka. JT. Collin won 2 of 8. Tiger won 7 of 11 or something at one point.

Winning majors right now is hard. Tiger did it better than anyone ever all things considered.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, StuM said:

"I'm not done," 82-time PGA Tour winner Tiger Woods repeated after retired NBA star Dwyane Wade...

I do not think his comment “I’m not done” simply meant he expected he could do more in his professional career.  He neither accepted nor declined the monicker of GOAT.

I think Tiger always measured his greatness against Jack's total of 18 majors.  If he exceeds that he will consider himself the GOAT.  If not, there will always be this debate

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Opps, bad editing.  The sentence should have read "I think his comment.....".  I started to write it one way then changed.  the "do not" should have been deleted.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I think Tiger always measured his greatness against Jack's total of 18 majors.  If he exceeds that he will consider himself the GOAT.  If not, there will always be this debate

He didn’t.

He measured based on ages.