IGNORED

how do these pros hit their irons so long with such little effort

Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

YouTube is better. You can embed it and download the original video.

you can slow it down and draw lines on the video with swing academy though.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

The comments so far are right on the money, but there is one other thing to be aware of. On TV it looks like they're swinging easy. Watch them live, up close, and you'll see they're hitting the ball hard. I mean HARD. You don't get a 100+ MPh swing for the asking. These guys are tremendous athletes who can put serious speed on the clubhead and make it look effortless, just like athletes in other sports do.

I remember watching baseball pitchers like Rollie Fingers and Dave Stieb look like they were soft-tossing the ball and it came to the plate like it was shot from a gun. Amazing.

Just want to thank Chilli Dipper for those 2 videos. Very helpful.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

The pros know that the key is smooth acceleration to produce a gradual building of speed through impact. Even the pros can't do this perfectly THEY ALL DECELERATE TO SOME EXTENT but they do better than the rest of us. There are only two pros I have seen that can accelerate all the way through and beyond impact and one is John Erickson an ex-Canadian tour player from the late 80s. And that's because he knows how Hogan did it. The other pro is Peter Senior from Australia.

• 5 years later...

It is quite difficult to say without seeing your swing. Leverage has a lot to do with it. It's all technique. Sounds like you don't take many lessons? If I am correct, head to your nearest golf pro and ask. It's pretty simple. Lot's of variables one needs to take into account. Yet if you don't "need" the distance then don't "toy" with is, just enjoy the game you have.

I think probably over everything else, they hit the ball before the turf (forward shaft lean). Anyone without changing swing speed would notice an enormous difference if they practiced only that (forget about "creating lag"). Progress after that can be incremental with gradual increase in swing speed.

Like others have already said.

1. Ball first contact

2. Strike in the middle of the face

3. Just the right amount of forward shaft lean for the club

4. Achieving the max acceleration at impact.

Like others have also said....these are athletes and they are swinging forcefully regardless of how it looks.  No one is swinging a club at 115 plus miles per hour without effort.  Their bodies just happen to be well conditions and flexible and they can maintain their posture and support the amount of force they are generating.  Looks can be very deceiving....Fred Couples rhythm is often drooled over but he's had his fair share of back problems so obviously the force he was generating was taking a toll on his body.

As others have mentioned, ball-first contact and hitting the golf ball on the sweet spot of the iron 99% of the time are big keys.  Also, if you watch golf on TV, look for the super slow motion swings they show of players hitting irons to par-3 greens.  What you notice is that the club (the swing) bottoms out 3-4 inches in FRONT of the ball.  It's really tough to do.  I keep trying, but it's difficult.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

THIS makes a huge difference!

I'm learning how to do this from a pro and I've gained 10-15 yards already.

Only another 50 yards to go until I can hit my seven iron as far as the pro's.....

LOL.  Yesterday I hit the perfect seven iron.  Flew about 165 yards.  As I don't hit very many perfect shots, I was about 15 yards long of the pin.  To be honest, many rounds that I play, I don't think that I hit any shot perfect.

One other thing about pros that I find amazing is their ability to read greens.  When I play on a new course with different type of greens, I struggle with the putter.

• 2 years later...

Hopefully a helpful response: I'm 6'4" 215, so that's clearly a factor, but I tend to hit my driver and irons further than the average pro (not the best). I've played my whole life, but usually only average about 10 rounds a year, sometimes more, sometimes less (recent years). My dad thinks I swing too hard, but I hit them straight and don't know any other way. I've never had a lesson, but people are always wowed by my swing and distance when we play together....I don't worry about keeping my arm entirely straight, so I guess you could say I just grip it and rip it. The pro's aren't afraid to swing hard because they're confident in their ability to hit it straight. But they're pro's for a reason. The biggest hitters are tall (Bubba/DJ etc), but like in baseball, whip, flexibility, club/bat speed are all factors. 

advice for hitting it further? DON'T be afraid to swing as hard as you can. Just practice as much as possible and get to a point where that hard swing is something you're comfortable with. However, at the end of the day, there is only so much you can do to improve distance. A person's height and body is a serious factor. If distance is a goal though, don't use a driver over 9.5 degrees and don't use graphite shafts (although this can be a risky move). Distance isn't everything....Look at the women. Consistent tee shots and irons, with a good short game is how you go low. I'm a 12 handicap, and occasionally hit upper 70;s, but if my short game (putting especially) was better, I could be a scratch golfer. 

Edited by 12 handicap
grammar

2 hours ago, 12 handicap said:

but if my short game (putting especially) was better, I could be a scratch golfer. 

Yeah, no.

Look at the women

What, play shorter courses with lighter rough, slower greens and easier pin placements? One of the major reasons the women can't compete with the men is because they lack distance.

The biggest hitters are tall (Bubba/DJ etc),

Justin Thomas, JB Holmes, not tall.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Justin Thomas, JB Holmes, not tall.

Rory. Tiger is 5’10”.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Rory. Tiger is 5’10”.

Tiger is 6'1" Rory is like 5'9" Jack in his prime was about 5'11"...

How do these pros hit their irons so far? They compress the ball better than most of us. Great iron players also have so much forward shaft lean at impact, they turn their 8-irons into 6-irons, but they make great contact so the ball still has the spin and descent angle of an 8-iron... So pros hit 8-irons 185 yards, and 5-irons 230 yards (not on average just in a Joe Blow day). So if DJ carries his driver 300 yards, he can expect a 195 yard carry with a 7-iron. Damn I only hit my 7-iron 160ish... Guess I ain't long enough for the Tour.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Lag released at the right time via a smooth accelerating downswing thru the ball. 66 and what finally helped me was Tommy Armour's description of "swishing" thru the ball with the right hand and right knee. That brought every other teachers similar advice into prospective. You can't swish if you already straightened your wrist or casted.

Edited by 2turnswish
Spelling

Alec Ordway

3 hours ago, 2turnswish said:

Lag released at the right time via a smooth accelerating downswing thru the ball. 66 and what finally helped me was Tommy Armour's description of "swishing" thru the ball with the right hand and right knee. That brought every other teachers similar advice into prospective. You can't swish if you already straightened your wrist or casted.

Yes, I noticed that as well. It's amazing how well the best swing with what appears to be very little effort.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The secret to hitting farther, with less effort, is to use less effort.  The toughest thing in golf, for me, is getting my head around that concept.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

It was a "hard headed" 3 years, following retirement, before I embraced smooth power. I swung hard and harder to try for distance and played the next shots from humiliating locations. Very interesting to see all the golf course and write down crooked numbers. 

Alec Ordway

Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!