IGNORED

Do you wear a glove when playing golf?

Note: This thread is 2196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gloves  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a glove?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I wear a glove. Mostly because i use full cord grips. The side of palm pad and ring finger are prone to blistering if i dont wear a glove for full swings. I wear tape on my right ring finger.  I just cant bring myself to experiment with a different type of grip. 

17 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

a long while back, I made a post (partly in jest), of wearing a pair of garden gloves. They actually felt pretty good,were not at all bulky, tops were cloth, bottoms rubberized. I caught a lot of flack, but you know, they were not half bad and a lot easier to pull on and off than regular golf gloves.

99c store.

I use batting gloves for golf gloves. $12 a pair. I wear cooking mittens in the winter over the batting gloves for warmth, between shots. $2 for the pair. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I used to wear a glove all the time, but have since stopped and almost never do now.  Why??? well I am a lefty so finding them can be a chore. I also sweat  and putting them on and then taking them off several times a round is a pain and nasty.  I use a towel to keep hands and grips dry. Times when I do use a glove?  Last rounds of golf in the fall when it get cold and sometimes if it is raining.  I do not see a performance boost either way.  If I do develop clauses it is on my middle to fingers of my left non gloved hand.  When I was fitted for my current set of clubs it was suggested that I go with a slightly larger grip.  This has helped me feel in control of the club.  I do change out the grips every other season or so.  Pure grips with the air tool work well without tape.  Search them out if you are interested. 

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

fwiw, I do go bareback sometimes.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

No. I guess my hands don't sweat much. The PURE grips I use are plenty tacky (got them installed in Sept 2015). Still feel great.  

Vishal S.

Yes, and I try to stay aware of how worn the glove is so I replace it frequently - and I also clean my grips.

For me, it makes a HUGE difference and how well I keep control of that grip.

I'll play with tackier grips someday, but I have an entire replacement set still for next year.  so it'll be another 2 seasons yet.

Bill - 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:07 AM, Hacker James said:

fwiw, I do go bareback sometimes.

That's how we describe driving without insurance here in California...

I've been mulling over this glove thing recently. My son, who's a lefty, just started playing golf with me and doesn't wear a glove. Hogan didn't wear a glove (right?). I am hard on gloves and would like to not have to buy them anymore. May just start "going bareback" soon, myself. Heck...I've even thought about going commando...

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2010 at 1:02 AM, avguy said:

I wear one all times, try to remove it for putting. This thread seems to be good to vent my frustration on golf gloves. They are mostly cheapy in quality, and don't improve grip, IMHO. Just a blister preventer. Anyways, I am a natural lefty who golfs right handed. One of my former sports of younger days - racquetball - is more reliant on gloves than golf. It's been over a decade since I hit that court, & I won't play that for now but one thing I recall is the superior Quality and grip ability of racquetball gloves. They have "tackified leather" are more durable and are also made for heat dispersion.

So, my dilema now is I can't find the kind of l eft-handed racquetball glove I want in a sporting goods store locally! Tried a Sports Authority, Big 5, Dicks. My Ecktalon from the 90's had great sticky leather on the palm and lycra backing - it didn't tear like cheap golf gloves do and the control on a leather-handled racquet is something I would like to duplicate in golf. I have some tendency to lose control at the top of the swing, and regripping happens. That throws me off and sometime it results in sky shots or blocks out right. Next step is looking online for left-handed premium racquetball gloves. Any directional help is welcome.

I too played a lot of racquetball, and used the tackified glove,  The only problem I see with them is that they are quite a bit thicker than a golf glove and don't give the 'feel' you get with the thinner golf glove leathers.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

On 4/17/2017 at 10:51 AM, rehmwa said:

Yes, and I try to stay aware of how worn the glove is so I replace it frequently - and I also clean my grips.

For me, it makes a HUGE difference and how well I keep control of that grip.

I'll play with tackier grips someday, but I have an entire replacement set still for next year.  so it'll be another 2 seasons yet.

Is this one too worn out or does it have some life left in it?:

IMG_0530.JPG

• Upvote 1

If my shot is greater than 88 yards I use a glove, anything inside that nope

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

• 6 months later...

It's been very liberating dropping the glove. I joke with my buddies that the glove is for amateurs trying to look like professionals.

Seriously it doesn't seem necessary in drier California. When I'm in Texas there are times I could use one.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I try to use one, that is if I can find it among all the other junk in my bag.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've never liked wearing a glove.  Don't know why...just don't.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I actually wear two gloves. Not so much for gripping the club, but for protecting my hands fron sun damage. We have a lot of sunny days out west, and as much time as I spend out of doors, every ounce of protection helps.

I even putt wearing two gloves. I have worn them for so long, that if I take them off to putt, my grip feels funny. 

I carry 3 pair for rainy, or sweaty days and change as needed during a round. Also, I use baseball batting gloves instead of golf specific gloves. Less expensive, sold in pairs, and do the same job. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

19 hours ago, Lihu said:

I try to use one, that is if I can find it among all the other junk in my bag.

That actually surprises me, you seem like a hyper detail oriented person when it comes to the swing and data but you're "meh" about what actually touches the club?

Colin P.

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

That actually surprises me, you seem like a hyper detail oriented person when it comes to the swing and data but you're "meh" about what actually touches the club?

You're right, I used to be pretty OCD about having an exact place for stuff and not finding stuff in the past, but family life changed that. Nowadays, it depends upon if my glove got shoved into one of the pockets of my bag along with all other golf related stuff in my trunk by one of my family members when they need my trunk for something.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!