IGNORED

Official US Open Thread

michaeljames92
Note: This thread is 5053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Without his cap, Gregory Havret looks like Sean Connery.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about the "anal"ysts...

o ok. and man has anybody else been annoyed with this coverage, particularly the first few hours. every f**** second, nbc sports report, story with jimmy roberts, stupid vignettes, etc. just show the golf

In the Bag:

Driver: G5 10.5* Stiff Flex
3 Wood: Striker 2000 15*
5 Wood: R5 xL 19*Irons(3-PW): Supersteel Burner Rifle S-90Wedges: Rac Satin TP 56/12 & 60/6Putter: Dead CenterBall: TriSpeed

A keen student of the game, I see. Ever heard of Brian Davis?

The reed looked anchored to the sand with Davis but it was loose...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

o ok. and man has anybody else been annoyed with this coverage, particularly the first few hours. every f**** second, nbc sports report, story with jimmy roberts, stupid vignettes, etc. just show the golf

Watch it online, it is waaaaaay better...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Old news, but Tiger's 3W on 18 was unbelievable. Definately announced that his game is back in shape. That being said, the putt on 17 was near as impressive...

I'm a big Watson fan so I'm biased, but I'm impressed by him once again in coming off that 78 with a 71 and a 70. If he had made a couple 4 footers on Thursday he'd be in much better shape.

Like Havret's game as well. Just like everyone else my pick for the week was Dustin Johnson but I definately see these two coming back to the field at some point tomorrow, ala Barnes and Glover in 09. Should be a great Father's Day Sunday.

S9-1 10.5 Driver
S9-1 3 Wood
FT Hybrid 18 degree
X-14 Pro Series 3-PW
54.10 and 60.4 wedges Whitehot XG #9 Putter

Looking forward to tomorrow's rounds. Should be exciting with some drama built in. I have a feeling that the pressure will hit the two guys at the top at some point and someone else will make a good run at them. Should be fun!
In the Bag:

Driver: FT 9 Tour 10*
3-Wood: Big Bertha Diablo 15*
Irons: MP-68 3-PW Project X 6.5Wedges: JAWS 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: White Ice #9Ball: ProV1x

Glad to see tiger is 4 back, I cant wait to see what sunday brings.
Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

I would love to see some Sunday drama, but I am not convinced that D. Johnson is coming back to the field......he is strong enough to hit it out of any lie.....and is very cool over those tricky 4 footers.

Gonna be a great Sunday no matter what happens....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Let's go Dustin! I'd like to see a tight finish but would love to see Johnson win it.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I still say Tiger is the man to beat! Okay, so he has never won a major when trailing going into the final round. But then again it has been a strange year for Tiger... So who knows...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I'm pulling for Johnson and McDowell to lap the field - enjoyed their round and NBC's detailed coverage of it very much - except for the part when Johnny compared every player's ball position and putt roll out to Tiger's - not really sure what their point was.

I would have bet money McDowell was practicing to hit a cut on 18, but they kept going on about his draw. So after he plays a power fade, they act like it was a mishit or something. Who knows - maybe they're right.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Phil played just about as good golf yesterday as Tiger did today, yet we primarily hear about how awesome Tiger was. Tiger hit some good shots, but he gets a disproportionate amount of attention when he plays well. All back 9 today the commentators were wetting their pants over him (I can't remember how many times I heard a commentator liken a player's situation to "just like Tiger earlier"), while yesterday Phil just got strong nods of approval.

Speaking of Phil, if he should've birdied 18 but he ran his ball off the cliff, that was a tough par to swallow. If he could've just hit a fairway on the back 9 he'd be a couple strokes lower.

Dustin Johnson is playing fairly consistent golf. Not in a lot of bunkers, just two bogies, and a couple nice putts. And that's with his unfortunate 9th hole yipped putt.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

P

What? Why should he have birdied 18? The "but" you mention is a pretty big one, hitting the ball into a pile of kelp 20 feet under a cliff next to te beach. You may as well say Tiger should have had an alabtross on 18 but his second shot missed the hole.

It was a great par for Phil on 18. If you save par with a ball in a hazrd, it's good, hardly a tough par to swallow. Quite the opposite.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

This is the first time I have seen Dustin Johnson play and wow I am impressed. Even though his long hitting wont be a big deal during the Ryder Cup I think he will be a great teammate.

In my x86 stand bag-

DRIVER- Tour Burner 9.5* STIFF
3 & 5 WOOD- 980F PT 15* 19*
3-PW IRONS- 690 CB FORGED G-S-L WEDGE- CG 10 Black Pearl 52* 56* 60*BALL- ProV1 and ProV1x

Tiger will be in the hunt after today.

Good call.

My favorite rounds of golf to watch are the early ones that are on the Golf Channel. I can't stand the ESPN or NBC coverage.

Just like everyone else my pick for the week was Dustin Johnson but I definately see these two coming back to the field at some point tomorrow, ala Barnes and Glover in 09.

I just can't see anybody making up 5 strokes on DJ. He can put himself back in good position from anywhere on the course it seems, and his driving accuracy has been good all week. He would really have to fall apart on hitting fairways to lose this, IMO.

Phil played just about as good golf yesterday as Tiger did today, yet we primarily hear about how awesome Tiger was. Tiger hit some good shots, but he gets a disproportionate amount of attention when he plays well.

Perhaps we are watching different channels, but when Phil plays well (like he did yesterday) they feature him a ton and wax on about it a lot (like they did yesterday). Tiger & Phil are the media attractions, and Phil does not want for attention. And IF Tiger does get a disproportionate amount of attention when he plays well, it may have something to do with the 14 majors he has won, which happens to be disproportionate to the field. He isn't Michelle Wie or Danica Patrick, now.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dustin will take home the trophy this time. He's won at Pebble the last two events, he knows the course and knows how to play it. Only way Tiger can win is if Dustin make a real mess of a couple of holes and drop back 4-5 shots. McDowell can do it, but playing with Tiger behind you, 2 shots back on a Sunday is no walk in the park.

I would have wished Dusting was at 3 or 4 under to make the last round a bit more exciting before it starts, but we'll see. If Tiger is charging, he's also more prone to make mistakes.
I definitely did not see Phil dropping back again, I expected him to be closer to 5 under at this point.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Saturday is moving day. I think it's more of a matter that Tiger is now in a better position to win now than Phil is. Until Phil learns how to "take his medicine" when he is in trouble, he is going to have a tough time winning a US Open.

Note: This thread is 5053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!