IGNORED

Alcohol + golf = ?

Kenny D
Note: This thread is 4872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alcohol's effect on your golf game?

• Positively
    • Negatively
    • Not applicable

I voted N A as I rarely drink, but the way I'm playing lately maybe I need to down a couple before the first tee.

In all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if having one drink might result in a more relaxed swing and better results for many of us. The important part of this being just one, as I have no doubt that several drinks would prove disastrous for most peoples game.
ogio.gifedge bag
titleist.gifdriver 10.5* 907D1, 15* 906f2, 18* 906f2
wilson_staff.gif21* hybrid, 3-PW PI7, TW9 wedges
wilson_staff.gif: 8802, 8813, or Arnold Palmer Original
wilson_staff.gifX1 or 50

Voted n/a... I've only drank once while golfing and it wasn't nearly enough to have any effect on my game... May start drinking a bit more on the course as my home course gives you two free drafts with your round, although I'll probably just use those on sodas instead.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played with a mate of mine in a saturday club competition. we had 3 beers before teeing off and he had 5 jim beams during the round, and shot the course record.

For whatever reason he always plays well when he is pissed

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I don't drink at all now,but when I did I couldn't do it and play golf. My motor skills weren't that great to start with, and the slight relaxation could not overcome the lack of talent! So I would enjoy the beer after the round.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

A few beers during the round does help relax me. Again, it always depends on the day too. If I'm going after work with some buddies, I won't drink, but if it is a saturday or sunday, I'll bring a few and share during a round.

Too many though definitely has a bad impact...Once I reach that stage... I start drinking more because I know it is going downhill already.

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
Wedges: 56* CCI and 60* SV Tour
DF 960

Rarely drink during a round, almost always do after. After a hot day out on the course, that first slug of ice cold draft beer is the nectar of the friggin' gods.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Indeed it is. Take yesterday here in SD for example, must-a-been 85 degrees on the course, and not far from the Pacific to boot ......

Sorry about that guys, my bad. I hear some 'dome somewhere collapsed under the weight of snow - very sad.

I've only ever had one beer on the track and I don't think it affected my game. Then again I played so badly at the time it hardly could have. Maybe I need to do it more often, you know to get the swing flowing properly. Not to namedrop or nuthin' but Stan U. did recently tell me that my putting action was too stiff .......

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

All depends on the situation....

Outings, hell yeah...what makes an outing more fun than being an a-hole to your partners laughing when they mess up or call you out on a shot...

Daily golf, almost never, that's when I am practicing, the sweet nectar messes with my feeling, and I get angry quicker when I make a bad swing.

Weekend afternoon, 2nd round...Almost always, just out to have fun smacking the ball around so I don't need to focus.

The affects of alcohol differ from person to person but I find it never really improves my game, I get lazy and loose focus, which I then basically give up and my round goes to poop. When I do have a few beers on the course it is usually always about having a good time spending with friends and not so much really to do with the golf...

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST Tour 9.5 Grafalloy PL AXIS Plat.
3-Wood: Cleveland Launcher DST 15 Grafalloy PL AXIS Plat.
5-Wood: Cleveland Launcher 09' 19 Grafalloy PL AXIS Plat.
3-HY:  Cleveland launcher 09' 20.5 Grafalloy PL Plat. HY
4-PW: Mizuno MP 68 TT SL X100SW: 54 08 Vokey TT X100SW: 58...

Only played once while drinking, and it was not a pretty sight. Had two beers and couldn't concentrate to hit decent shot thereafter.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I agree with enjoying the beers... However I never do it on the course.. I just have a hard time mixing any sports with it... Dont care if that is someone's thing just not mine... 19th hole is the place for me...

You need a 3rd option. IT starts off as a positive then quickly goes to a negative after about the (3rd-4th beer) thats when the coordination starts to get effected slightly.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

N/A, I don't drink at all.

I don't care what others do, but drinking to the point where everyone in the cart is loud, obnoxious, and unable to correctly identify their ball is poor behavior that I would discourage everyone from ever exhibiting.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

There is a reason it is called aiming juice! LOL

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Anyway we usually play twilight rounds. I will on the high side have 2 beers a side or 4 total. In a 4 hour round you are not even registering much of a BAC. One beer metabolizes in your system in about an hour. Now if you shotgun them, then yeah I could see where your coordination is going to be effected. But does the relaxing benefit help outweigh the loss of coordination for a mid to high handicapper?

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Originally Posted by BostonSully

You need a 3rd option. IT starts off as a positive then quickly goes to a negative after about the (3rd-4th beer) thats when the coordination starts to get effected slightly.

I have not drank in many of rounds but I agree with Sully here, I used to steadily improve up to 3 beers, I was notorious for putting too much pressure on my self. Now I rarely have a drink when I play but what really screws me is going out anytime on close to a empty stomach.

vvvv  I would recommend  taking high fructose corn syrup out of your diet as well, it was found to speed the production of cancer cells in the pancreatis. Just a precaution.

Originally Posted by mirv

i went with erik's option of "not applicable" in that i suffered chronic pancreatitis in years gone by, and the docs told me basically that if i drink, i'm going to wind up in the hospital.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 4872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!