IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So tomorrow I am getting some, I kind oif have a crush on a ranger and want to send him a signal.

Then best to get them color coded to your bag with hand sewn Roman numerals....purposely leave one for him to find and then thank the big silly for finding it....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hear folks talking on the Golf channel about placing head covers on irons.  Their comments seem to be derisive towards those that would use head covers for irons.

What gives? Am I misinterpreting what they are saying or is there some new fad to leave irons exposed?

I am getting back into golf after a 25 year absence and there have been a number of changes to the game, mostly involving equipment.  I have a new set of irons and I do want to protect them from damage.  Your thoughts please.

You will do more "damage" taking divots and playing from fairway bunkers than will ever happen while the clubs are in your bag.  I put that in quotes because I don't consider that to be damage.  Damage is something that makes the club unusable.  The scrapes and scratches that come from playing are well earned battle scars.  They have no effect on playability, so shouldn't be a concern.

My irons are just a month old, and have no dings from banging around in the bag, but they do have fine scratches on the sole and face from normal use.  They are certainly not "new"any more, they are acquiring "character". :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You will do more "damage" taking divots and playing from fairway bunkers than will ever happen while the clubs are in your bag.  I put that in quotes because I don't consider that to be damage.  Damage is something that makes the club unusable.  The scrapes and scratches that come from playing are well earned battle scars.  They have no effect on playability, so shouldn't be a concern.

My irons are just a month old, and have no dings from banging around in the bag, but they do have fine scratches on the sole and face from normal use.  They are certainly not "new"any more, they are acquiring "character".

Time for new ones.....

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

I never heard about head covers for irons until I went on the internet. I don't want to look "new" on the golf course. Or if I'm a sandbagger maybe I do.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Oh, wait ... Are you talking about zombies? In that case, disregard my post and I agree.

Depends on the walker / zombie, the ones in World War Z were pretty fast.  The ones in Walking Dead really kill pace of play.

Joe Paradiso

If you don't like your clubs rattling around or head covers for your irons you could opt for a bag like the Bag Boy Revolver or Ogio Silencer that locks the clubs in place so they won't move around.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks for the comment newtogolf.  I am looking at a Bennington cart bag that has slots that lock the irons into each hole.  This seems like a much better approach than individual head covers.  The only downside to these is the initial price.  Oh well, no one said that golf was cheap.

You're welcome, I've never owned a Bennington bag but they look great and I've heard they are awesome.  I've used the Ogio Chamber for the last 3 years and like it a lot.  It holds the clubs in place so you can take the head covers off all your woods and not have to worry about them banging around on the cart.  The only downside to the Ogio is the putter slot is a bit snug with some of the thicker Super Stroke putter grips.

I don't mind spending money for a good bag if it holds up and based on reviews the Bennington will probably outlast your irons.  Let us know how you like it if/when you get it.

Joe Paradiso

I have used iron covers for years and i catch heck for it. But in tx the areas u sometimes drive your cart are super rough and bumpy. Ive damaged irons before without covers, and im talking a massive performance hinderring ding from clubs bouncing like crazy in the cart. I only use the castle bay brand as they look nice, theyre durable, they slide on ez without sliding off inadvertently, and theyre not overly expensive. Iron covers can slow play so have a routine so ur not holding up people on the course and u dont lose any. Its also added protection for my woods as some of the headcovers for my woods are rather flimsy and i dont want a heavy sole from a 7 iron slamming into the crown of my three wood and damaging it. Theyre also critical for travel esp on airliners.

• 3 weeks later...

About 20 years ago I'd gotten a new set of irons, so I decided I'd get covers for them. After the first 10 rounds or so with the new sticks, I'd lost 4 of the covers. I decided then that, for me at least, iron covers were probably not meant to be in my future. Since then I've never had the urge to go the iron cover route again. I suppose they probably save a bit of wear and tear, but I can't see any significant benefits in the long run. 

Instead of iron covers you could wrap a towel around the iron heads and that would minimize the bag chatter without having to worry about the covers. Thats what I do and it works great.

I use iron covers but not so much for protecting the club as much as making sure that I never leave any clubs. Its a routine I take the cover off put it in my pocket and then take it back out when I put the club away, if I get to the next tee box and have a cover still in my pocket I know that I'm missing a club. I don't forget clubs often, but I lost a club once and I'm determined to have it never happen again.

• 11 months later...

Thinking about getting iron covers purely to avoid the clatter noise which drives me nuts and also to try and minimise dings etc. I've read mixed reviews and read that they can cause rust etc. What people's thoughts on this? Apparently neoprane covers are best to get?

I say this mostly tongue in cheek....but No.  Just No.   Back away from them in the store and just run the other way....

—Adam

20 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I say this mostly tongue in cheek....but No.  Just No.   Back away from them in the store and just run the other way....

Lol, fair point. How come? 

I cannot stand them.  I kind of like some of the small dings that come along with riding in a cart or just general wear on my irons.  It makes me feel good to have them look like they have been used.  If I was to worry about them and every little mark on them, I am focusing on the wrong thing during a round.

I have played with a few people that insist on using them and it has always slowed them down which gets me hot.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!