IGNORED

Which chipping method do you prefer?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 4754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Your preferred chipping method:

• 1. Chip and Run - Use a low loft club like 9 or 8 iron. chip and let it run to the pin.
    • 2. Chip and check - Use a high loft club like 56 or 60 degrees. Chip to the pin and check.
    • 3. Others - Please specify and explain

Originally Posted by bkoguy07

I do them both.. depends on the lie and situation

Same here. A long chip across the green I'll let it run out, whereas a short chip I'll use a higher lofted club

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chipping was, and hopefully still is the best part of my game. I first learned and got good with the Bump & Run and low chips. Then I started messing around with flop shots and SW shots and I got good with that too. A lot of the time I felt more comfortable with a chip than a long putt.

I seemed to have a knack for knowing how hit the ball when chipping. If I was on the fringe or 10' or so off the green, then I knew that I could get really close my chip. I think part of it came from spending hours and hours a week chipping at the practice green or in my yard.

I put Chip and Run because I used that most and got amazing results with it.

Pitching wedge or 9 iron are my favorite chipping clubs under most conditions. I used to use my sand wedge (56) for everything and try to fly it close. My chips got 100% better when I started the bump and run method. Obviously, each scenario needs consideration for which club to use.

3. Others - I like to hit a flop shot with my Cleveland 60deg. Although, when the conditions aren't right I'll resort to a pitch with a 7 or 8 iron or a chip with the closed 60. I like the full, fluid motion of a flop shot and my eye seems to find the landing area more easily with them.

1 and/or 2; depending on the shot variables, how much rough/fringe to cross, how much green to work with, green slope, green elevation, ...

I use my 52 for everything within 110 yards (minus sand shots). I use the chip and run method with it. Or I guess chip and jog would be more accurate. I've started to get pretty good at  predicting how far it will run, so I just pick a spot and try to land it there.

for me the big determining factors are the distances between the rough and the edge of the green and the edge of the green and the pin.  if i have a lot of green to work with and a relatively small amount of rough before i get to the green, i'll chip with an 8i or 9i almost every time.  as those distances start to become more equal, i'll go to a little pitch and check with my 58*

Originally Posted by goblue107501

I went with option #2.  I use either a 56º or 60º on every shot around the green.  Many factors can go into deciding the club, but many times it is just what feels best for the shot when I am standing over it.  I have always gone on the theory of using one club (56) for all shots around the green.  Over the past few years I have incorporated the 60 with good success.  I can probably count on one had the number of times I have ever used a 7 or 8 iron to chip onto the green.  I tried it a few times on the course, practiced with it a bit, but never took to it.  I like hitting the same shot, just different distances and roll out.  If a shot calls for a chip and run, I can do that with the 56 with no problem if I need to.

I have to agree with goblue107501, I tend to mostly use my 56, but sometimes use my 60. Rarely ever use a club besides that around the green. I just have practice that club so much I can open the club face or close the club face, instead of using other clubs.

Driver Taylormade r9 supertri *9.5
Hybrid Taylormade rescue burner 19 degree
Irons 2008 taylormade TP
Wedges Taylormade rac TP 52, 56, 60
Putter Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 Studio StyleBall Bridgestone e6

Ive receintly switched from option 1 to option 2 (most of the time). And damn im getting close with every shot. Chipped in the other day. Making life sooo much easier.

I stick to a 7 iron for all off green chipping, unless it is completely the wrong thing to use. I find it easier to judge the length of the shot by keeping to the same club. When I used to vary between a 9 and a 7 I was all over the place.

3. other

I'll chip with the iron that seems appropriate for the carry and roll that I visualize for a given shot.

Chipping with a 3 iron doesn't happen often and consequently isn't practised often but I will use it if it seems to be the shot.

Also, it isn't unheard of to open or close the face of any chipping iron for a particular situation. A hooded 8 iron is a whole lot different than one with an open face.

The original poster's option number one suggests a less lofted club such as an 8 or 9.

I see 8 & 9 as lofted clubs along with the wedges.

That's part of the beauty of the game. You see it this way, I see it that way and ultimately we both are trying to get the ball into the hole.

I use my 52 for most chip shots.  Relatively low runner for most shots.  If I have a shorter runout area I'll move to my 56.

In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just like to throw it up a little higher and let it roll out from there.  I always had a hard time with the bump and runs.  If it's on the ground, I'm gonna use a putter, but if I'm gonna go over something, I'm going to toss it up higher, let it drop soft and roll out.  I try not to spin it too much either.  I hate it when the ball kicks a different direction after it touches the ground.  Too unpredictable

Originally Posted by very handicap

If given a choice, which is the preferred chipping method you would choose and why if you need to chip from around the green (without any hazard) to the pin?

1. Chip and Run - Use a low loft club like 9 or 8 iron.  chip and let it run to the pin.  Advantage:  (1) high percentage shot. (2) Don''t need to use high spin/expensive ball like prov-V.

2. Chip and check - Use a high loft club like 56 or 60 degrees.  Chip to the pin and check.  Advantage: (1) Don't have to estimate the running distance.

Neither.  I don't want check if I don't need it, and most of the time I don't.  Check just adds uncertainty.  If you can just get the ball rolling as quickly as possible, the generally consensus is that's a more playable shot type.  It's possible to hit a relatively high chip that doesn't check much and rolls out quite a bit.  You get maximum control with that kind of flight.

Having said that, I feel most comfortable with the type of swing that generates some check.  I trade what I want for my swing with what I want for my ballflight here and just play the shot I have.  If I want less spin, I have to move the ball a touch forward and get the shaft more vertical and not pinch it so much.  That feels too much like flipping to me at this point.  This isn't the part of my game that's holding me back, so I haven't monkeyed with it.  I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  Here's my setup, impact and follow through on a short chip (fly 8-feet or so).

chipping_address.jpg
chipping_impact.jpg

chipping_followthrough.jpg

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

My prefs are no secret ..... I prefer to roll the ball to a hole, so unless it isn't possible to putt from just off the green, I hit most these shots with a 7 iron ...... for me it is about 1 part air and 5 parts roll, about dead wrists ...... main advantage of this method is that the distance factor is as easy as in putting, even if you thin or blade one the result is still fair to good.

Only if there is less green to roll on, I take a 9 iron or a gap/lob wedge (but then I am talking more like pitching)

I have tried to chip and pith with a more lofted club (like Utley) using the 52 or 58 for most chips, but to me it checks a bit too much and I also had lots of balls ending way beyond target when I thin or bladed some.

I play the ball with a narrow stance from the middle, but I also see some guys using a 52 and playing it from behind their right foot ........ they can say what ever they like about using a 52 for all their chipping, but that way they actually deloft their 52 so much that they are actually chipping with a 7i or 8i........

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

When I need to be accurate I will chip dead handed b/c it is much more accurate and easier to gauge the roll out for me than a checked shot.

Some things I've found I sometimes do wrong in my chipping:

• Holding the club too tight. I'm not saying use 2/10 grip pressure, but don't hold it too tight either, it can mess up the rhythm. Releaxed arms and hands.
  • Being too quick. I take the club back and rush it down, instead of taking it back at a nice pace, letting gravity start pulling the club down again, then using the weight of the club and just guiding it with the hands.
  • Lack of focus. Not looking at the spot where I want the club to strike first. It can be the back of the ball or the ground behind the ball, depending on the shot.
  • Head moving forward. Getting too steep, force you to be more accurate. It also changes the position you created at setup, which can lead to compensations.
  • Weight not forward enough. Forces the hands to do a lot of the work in getting ahead on a chip. Presetting the weight forward makes the stroke easier.
  • Looking at the wrong spot when aiming. Looking at the hole instead of where I want the ball to land on the first bounce. If you have found the spot you want it to land, you should have found the right speed too, since only one speed can land the ball there. No need to look to much at the flag after that.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I always let the ball run when I can.  I only pitch when I have to get over something (like a trap) or the lie doesn't allow it (severe uphill).  In general the chip is an easier shot to execute than a pitch for me.

Butch

Note: This thread is 4754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!