IGNORED

Wearing Golf Shoes to the Driving Range

Note: This thread is 3307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I go to a driving range & have to hit off mats, no.    I usually go to my club's practice field, and do wear golf shoes there.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by CorwinCole

i always wear my golf shoes to the range and on the putting green. i don't want anything to feel different when i am practicing from the way it will feel when i'm competing.

Same here.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

While we're on this topic.  What does everyone typically wear to the range?  Do you dress up like you are going to the course (collared shirt and nice shorts) or do you go in work out gear.  Personally I love hitting balls in an UnderArmor tee and mesh shorts.

Fantastic topic! If I'm going to a driving range (think putt-putt course with driving range attached - no golf course affiliation), I typically just wear some mesh shorts and a tee shirt or beat-up collared shirt. I love the guys that show up dressed to the 9s with white belts (nothing against white belts, but at the driving range? C'mon!!!), matching shirt / short / shoes and full-staff bag with matching clubs - cracks me up!!!

Now, if I'm going to a practice facility at a nice course, I'll dress like i was going to play an actual round.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by showtime583

Fantastic topic! If I'm going to a driving range (think putt-putt course with driving range attached - no golf course affiliation), I typically just wear some mesh shorts and a tee shirt or beat-up collared shirt. I love the guys that show up dressed to the 9s with white belts (nothing against white belts, but at the driving range? C'mon!!!), matching shirt / short / shoes and full-staff bag with matching clubs - cracks me up!!!

Now, if I'm going to a practice facility at a nice course, I'll dress like i was going to play an actual round.

Totally agree.  The range I'm refering to has a mini golf course and batting cage attached.  If I practice over at a local course I'll wear golf attire.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

• 2 years later...

Well, I just bought the Golfsmith "onion sack" of 96 golf balls to bring with me on the course during the more empty evenings. I just hit about 50 balls onto a green from various locations with my 8i. The trickiest location was over two trees from a little mound in the rough, which deserved 12 balls.

Going to take turns with all my clubs. . .

The only downside is if a party wants to play past me there would be dozens of balls on or around the greens. I'll mark them with my initials with a sharpie or something. . . :whistle:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, I just bought the Golfsmith "onion sack" of 96 golf balls to bring with me on the course during the more empty evenings. I just hit about 50 balls onto a green from various locations with my 8i. The trickiest location was over two trees from a little mound in the rough, which deserved 12 balls.

The only downside is if a party wants to play past me there would be dozens of balls on or around the greens. I'll mark them with my initials with a sharpie or something. . .

That's great and all, but why did you dig up this thread to post this? :offtopic:

If I were you, I'd mark them with somebody else's initials ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The only downside is if a party wants to play past me there would be dozens of balls on or around the greens. I'll mark them with my initials with a sharpie or something. . .

I know this was posted off topic, but the ex golf course employee in me had to say something.

I respectfully ask you to reconsider this routine. You leave 50+ ball marks in a green, I hope you are repairing them carefully. That's a lot, and takes a lot of time. Not to mention all the new concentrations of divots around the green, in the rough, in the fairway. Some serious damage. You don't want parts of the course to look like the tee at the range, do you?

And if I was a customer and did pay for green fees and came up on this, it would certainly have a "downside". It would be pretty difficult to play through, if not impossible.

Not just to bust your chops unreasonably, but if I was the swing irrigation guy and saw you, I'd be all over your case, and ask you to quit it.

Maybe go to an open area between holes or something instead?

Just an opinion, offered respectfully. Please reconsider.

• Upvote 1

Steve

I agree with @MrFlipper you might want to reconsider doing this.  Many courses have practice areas where you can practice without damaging greens in play or impacting others on the course.

I'd suspect if you tried that in NY you might need to have 96 golf balls surgically removed.

Joe Paradiso

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed too. Especially if I played through and had to pitch onto a green that's littered with your balls.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Although I do own a pair of soft spikes, I very seldom ever wear them even when I am on the course. I only wear them when it wet, muddy, or frost on the turf. I do just fine with a good , comfortable pair of walking shoes.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Always wear my spikes unless I open the trunk and realize I forgot them. I tried to use my tractiony sneakers instead and it was OK (more just convenient) until I realized it was absolutely shredding the front inside of the toe area of my left sneaker from when I twist / roll it on the follow through. Since then, I've gone back to being meticulous about wearing the spikes.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

That's great and all, but why did you dig up this thread to post this?

If I were you, I'd mark them with somebody else's initials

Actually, it's funny that I posted this in the "DRIVING RANGE" thread, but it somehow ended up here???

I know this was posted off topic, but the ex golf course employee in me had to say something.

I respectfully ask you to reconsider this routine. You leave 50+ ball marks in a green, I hope you are repairing them carefully. That's a lot, and takes a lot of time. Not to mention all the new concentrations of divots around the green, in the rough, in the fairway. Some serious damage. You don't want parts of the course to look like the tee at the range, do you?

And if I was a customer and did pay for green fees and came up on this, it would certainly have a "downside". It would be pretty difficult to play through, if not impossible.

Not just to bust your chops unreasonably, but if I was the swing irrigation guy and saw you, I'd be all over your case, and ask you to quit it.

Maybe go to an open area between holes or something instead?

Just an opinion, offered respectfully. Please reconsider.

Yeah, sigh. . .

I agree with @MrFlipper you might want to reconsider doing this.  Many courses have practice areas where you can practice without damaging greens in play or impacting others on the course.

I'd suspect if you tried that in NY you might need to have 96 golf balls surgically removed.

Probably true here too, but as it was about to rain no one was witness to my barrage of balls on the green.

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed too. Especially if I played through and had to pitch onto a green that's littered with your balls.

Okay, luckily I'm not that good a shot yet, I only had to fix something like 18 pitch marks plus ones I'm kind of sure I didn't make. :whistle: I also landed a bunch into the green side bunkers. . .

Going to target some other features on the course. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Actually, it's funny that I posted this in the "DRIVING RANGE" thread, but it somehow ended up here???

Same thread. Title was changed to better reflect the intent of the OP. You were still way off :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I wear crocs to the range and the course. No slipping or sliding. Maybe that's my problem. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Fantastic topic! If I'm going to a driving range (think putt-putt course with driving range attached - no golf course affiliation), I typically just wear some mesh shorts and a tee shirt or beat-up collared shirt. I love the guys that show up dressed to the 9s with white belts (nothing against white belts, but at the driving range? C'mon!!!), matching shirt / short / shoes and full-staff bag with matching clubs - cracks me up!!! Now, if I'm going to a practice facility at a nice course, I'll dress like i was going to play an actual round.

Some people just like to dress nice no matter where they go. Do you laugh at the guys walking down the street in a nice suit? Also wouldn't hurt the confidence aspect of your game.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Same thread. Title was changed to better reflect the intent of the OP. You were still way off :-P

If it was Driving Range it would be a catch all. Didnt read the OP, only went by the title. . .:-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I so club happy right now, I just cant see forking out 100 bucks for golf shoes, when I could get a new club lol. Would it be fair to say that golf shoes would shave a stroke or two off the game of a person who didn't wear golf shoes while golfing. When I switch from the Asics I'm wearing now, to a nice golf shoe, should I notice an improvement in my swing? Maybe even shave a stroke or two?

If I had golf shoes, I would for sure wear them at the driving range. It just makes sense to me. I feel strange practicing my swing in the living room bare foot, because I know I play in shoes. Ill be getting golf shoes soon though.

Some non golf shoes can damage softer greens.   For that reason + what you cited above, you should invest in a pair of golf shoes.   I recently bought a decent pair for about $50 from EBay.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Well, I just bought the Golfsmith "onion sack" of 96 golf balls to bring with me on the course during the more empty evenings. I just hit about 50 balls onto a green from various locations with my 8i. The trickiest location was over two trees from a little mound in the rough, which deserved 12 balls. Going to take turns with all my clubs. . . The only downside is if a party wants to play past me there would be dozens of balls on or around the greens. I'll mark them with my initials with a sharpie or something. . .:whistle:

Well, they punched the greens on the course I did this on, and I decided that it was probably okay for me to do the driving range thing for now. Hit 10 out of 40 greens with my 8i, and 15 out of 40 with my 9i. PW was about the same as the 9i. 60 was behaving finally, thanks to the mirror work, I finally stopped pulling it for shots 100 yards and in. Really happy with my ball flight with the 8i and down. Getting that penetrating high ball flight, finally. About the distances as before, but a ton more spin. On topic, I was wearing golf shoes on my personal driving range. . .:-D Oh, and I stopped a fight because someone hit into other people and didn't like the fact that the party that was hit into took their ball. I just told them to let them take it, and not to hit into them again. . .:loco: BTW, the onion bag of balls had two titleists delaminate and one top flight cracked. Those balls are really cheap, but for the price I got them, I can't really complain, I guess.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!