IGNORED

Rumor: Tiger Ignores Sick Half-Brother

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by brocks

Of course not. But I'd give a lot more than that to a relative, even a third cousin I've never met, who was in dire need. I've given a lot more than that to the Red Cross, for total strangers, after various disasters. Heck, I've even given a lot more than that to my ex-wife, and I guarantee that Tiger doesn't have half the grievances against his half-brother that I do against her.

Well, you chose to marry her. He didn't choose that his father had another family before he was born. Not the same deal.

I don't really care about Tiger's family, though. I can just imagine scenarios in which that part of his family may be a lot closer to "strangers" than "family." Whatever he does, as it's not golf-related, I don't care a whole lot.

I don't think Reilley is necessarily trustworthy in his reporting, but maybe he'll pay, maybe he won't. Not an issue that affects me or affects him on the course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've heard this story before. Or at least the part about a half-brother he doesn't have contact with. It's his life, why should we care? I'm sure there are other people out there that aren't acting like Mother Theresa without the whole world having to know about it. We don't even know what's true in this story. The media is not exactly known for telling the truth all the time.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by brocks

Tiger has donated his paycheck from the Chevron and ATT to his charity every year. It must be up to around ten million by now. To help his brother with his mortgage would cost him about a month's interest on that. Charity begins at home.

We have no idea what the back story is on this.  Let's say, (and I'm not claiming this is the case) that Tiger was physically or mentally abused by his half brothers.  It is not unheard of for half-siblings from a first marriage to take out their disappointments on the half-sibling from the second marriage,  Particularly when the mutual dad is spending more time and is showing more affection for the second marriage kid.  Why would he want to have anything to do with these guys if something like that was the case?  And why would he disclose it to "defend" himself?

The real bottom line is IT IS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.  And Reilly is scum.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

We have no idea what the back story is on this.  Let's say, (and I'm not claiming this is the case) that Tiger was physically or mentally abused by his half brothers.  It is not unheard of for half-siblings from a first marriage to take out their disappointments on the half-sibling from the second marriage,  Particularly when the mutual dad is spending more time and is showing more affection for the second marriage kid.  Why would he want to have anything to do with these guys if something like that was the case?  And why would he disclose it to "defend" himself?

Tiger's half-brothers were adults by the time Tiger was out of diapers, and never lived with him. I suppose it's possible that they caught a bus over to his house to abuse him, but not very likely. I did read the part where you said you aren't claiming they did, but I think it's worthwhile to clarify how really low the chances were. All indications are that they were just the kind of relatives we all have, whom we don't particularly like, but spend time with at family functions. It's absolutely his right to ignore them, but it just seems petty to me for him to do it when one of them is truly in a desperate situation, and Tiger's a billionaire.

I guess we don't know enough about the details of this to judge Tiger.  But if the actual story is anything close to what was portrayed by the OP I just can't see Tiger not helping out his half brother.  The amount of money it would take is trivial to someone of Tiger's finances.  But since Tiger does give a tremendous amount to charity I have to believe there is more to the story than Earl Jr. is telling.

Butch

Originally Posted by Paradox

Why is it Tigers responsibility to just fork over money?

Because he's loaded? /sarcasm

Seriously though, this happens with anyone who has a lot of money or comes into money via death of a family member, lottery, etc. You all of a sudden have friends and family you didn't know you had coming at you from everywhere with their hand out because, well, you can afford it now so that obligates you to hand it over.

• Upvote 1

It's horrible trash like this Rick Reilly "journalism" that turns me off from sports reporting and makes me sympathize somewhat with celebrities.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The last contact was when his dad died, which was probably forced because of the funeral otherwise they may not have talked to him since he was 14. I would say there must be a reason and it probably revolves around the relationship with them and his dad or maybe they have sold the media information. This is all speculation because of the vagueness of the facts.

I guess if it was family, it would be mighty white of him to float cash that way but it where does it end if he is like a stranger? Plus nothing makes you want to give money like offering to slap someone in the face.

Bottom line is that Tiger has his charities he supports and takes care of and most smart financially affluent people have specific charities so they are not just forking out cash to everyone like Mike Tyson, MC Hammer or Allen Iverson to name a few.

Finally, it is none of our business and there was not enough about golf in the post.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

His half brother will need a lot more money in the long run than is quoted in the article.  Saving the house is one thing, but care over the long term is expensive and will only rise as he gets older.  Plus, this predicament was somewhat self-inflicted ... in California, he could get free state-funded care in a facility.  However, he'd have to sell the home, etc.  Let's not paint this out as a situation where he won't get healthcare just because his famous half-brother who he's had little contact with over two decades won't pay.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

I guess we don't know enough about the details of this to judge Tiger.  But if the actual story is anything close to what was portrayed by the OP I just can't see Tiger not helping out his half brother.  The amount of money it would take is trivial to someone of Tiger's finances.  But since Tiger does give a tremendous amount to charity I have to believe there is more to the story than Earl Jr. is telling.

Quote:
... and it's not like he has an endless supply of half-brothers.

Given the Woods men's penchant for infidelity... can we be sure?

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

That's kind of a dick move to go to a major media outlet like ESPN for such a private matter. There's probably a reason Tiger isn't giving them handouts; they could be the type of people who would get an inch and take a mile, kind of like when you feed a stray cat and it just keeps coming back for more food.

-Rich

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

The last contact was when his dad died, which was probably forced because of the funeral otherwise they may not have talked to him since he was 14. I would say there must be a reason and it probably revolves around the relationship with them and his dad or maybe they have sold the media information. This is all speculation because of the vagueness of the facts.

I guess if it was family, it would be mighty white of him to float cash that way but it where does it end if he is like a stranger? Plus nothing makes you want to give money like offering to slap someone in the face.

Bottom line is that Tiger has his charities he supports and takes care of and most smart financially affluent people have specific charities so they are not just forking out cash to everyone like Mike Tyson, MC Hammer or Allen Iverson to name a few.

Finally, it is none of our business and there was not enough about golf in the post.

Seriously?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Watch the movie "Million Dollar Baby" and maybe it'll shed some light on why some people would shun their "families".  Also, while I won't get into particulars, suffice to say, if Tiger's experience is similar to mine, then I don't blame him one iota.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Originally Posted by Tomboys

Watch the movie "Million Dollar Baby" and maybe it'll shed some light on why some people would shun their "families".

Totally forgot about that film. Great comparison.

-Rich

Note: This thread is 4397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!