IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm assuming you guys saw this video on the Golf Channel?

Yeah, just saw it myself.  He said he hit a "baby fade."  Pretty incredible.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/275758/width/336/height/471][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/275758/width/336/height/471[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/275763/width/636/height/637][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/275763/width/636/height/637[/IMG][/URL]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

After Tiger's impressive down-the-stretch clutch play to capture the Memorial, anticipation of the US Open is high.  Who are the favorites?

1. Tiger Woods.  Obviously, Tiger's going to be a favorite after his clutch finish to take the trophy at Muirfield Village.  More impressive (and relevant for a US Open discussion) is his 77% of fairways hit for the week, and 13/14 fairways on Sunday.  He also scrambled quite well (even if you don't count the 70th hole), which is key to staying in contention at the Open.

Heya Tiger Woods! Go for it :D

Originally Posted by Zeph

[pictures]

This looks wrong, just wrong. At least, I read he drained the putt.

(for those who don't know, this is Casey Martin's long putter. They played a practice round together and Woods tried it on one hole.)

But scrambling at the memorial is nothing like scrambling at this course. I am not sure he is ready to put the 4 rounds needed to win this tournament yet. The three US opens he's won at were Pebbly Beach, Torrey Pines, and Bethpage Black. I wouldn't put these three courses as the toughest venues that the US open has placed them. I think that this will be a monster this week, especially with only 1 par 5. I rooting for Rickie Fowler to win this week, but i think a guy under the radar would be Zack Johnson, what did he have like nearly 3 rounds of golf with out missing a fairway at some point this year. This is a guy who could be there on sunday. I also think McDowell is due for a good showing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This is going to be a fantastic US Open

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I really hope it is.

I just have my doubts given how previous US Opens have fared. Not that they were not great events, but Olympic has the rep of deciding the wrong champion, and the 1998 instance of the USGA turning the 18th green into goony golf. I hope the USGA doesn't go over the line with the set-up. My understanding is they made changes to the 18th green that will likely keep this from happening. We'll see when they use the back-left hole position. But it seems every few years (Olympic 1998, Shinnecock 2004) the USGA goes draconian. And it's usually on the heels of a player posting a great score the year before, which Rory did last year at Congressional.

So the table is set for the USGA to try to humiliate the pros - they got the venue, and it's about that time they need to scratch their sadistic itch they invariable seem to get every few years.

Originally Posted by saevel25

But scrambling at the memorial is nothing like scrambling at this course. I am not sure he is ready to put the 4 rounds needed to win this tournament yet. The three US opens he's won at were Pebbly Beach, Torrey Pines, and Bethpage Black.

Oh come on, he's just as prepared for it (scrambling at a tough venue) as anybody else in the field, if not more so.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

So the table is set for the USGA to try to humiliate the pros - they got the venue, and it's about that time they need to scratch their sadistic itch they invariable seem to get every few years.

After what happened last year with all of the low scores at the US Open, they should have seen it coming.  It shouldn't take any of these guys by surprise, so bring it on I say.  Yes I fully expect some completely ridiculous and unfair holes/shots, but after last year it's deserved.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

But scrambling at the memorial is nothing like scrambling at this course. I am not sure he is ready to put the 4 rounds needed to win this tournament yet. The three US opens he's won at were Pebbly Beach, Torrey Pines, and Bethpage Black. I wouldn't put these three courses as the toughest venues that the US open has placed them. I think that this will be a monster this week, especially with only 1 par 5. I rooting for Rickie Fowler to win this week, but i think a guy under the radar would be Zack Johnson, what did he have like nearly 3 rounds of golf with out missing a fairway at some point this year. This is a guy who could be there on sunday. I also think McDowell is due for a good showing.

Maybe not the most difficult, but the setup at Torrey Pines was and still remains the longest U.S. Open setup ever. And Bethpage is no slouch.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by bplewis24

After what happened last year with all of the low scores at the US Open, they should have seen it coming.  It shouldn't take any of these guys by surprise, so bring it on I say.  Yes I fully expect some completely ridiculous and unfair holes/shots, but after last year it's deserved.

Agreed.  Don't forget the weather.  It looks like it's going to get no warmer than 63deg or so and windy.  If that holds true, it'll play a BIG factor in scoring and distance.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Hey Guys, I've got video of more swings from the past 3 days, to see all the videos, go HERE

and more pics

Monday US Open at Olympic Pictures

Monday Part 2 Tiger and Rory

Tuesday US Open Pics

Wednesday US Open Pics

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm excited

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Marquee group coverage now live. Tiger in the fairway, Phil in the right rough, Bubba in the left rough.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Does anyone have a stream for the marquee groups for people outside of the USA?

Again no Shottracker for a major...This is 2012, they should go with the time

It seems strange to me that they tee off at 9 rather than 10.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Does anyone have a stream for the marquee groups for people outside of the USA? Again no Shottracker for a major...This is 2012, they should go with the time

They have something called Playtracker here: http://www.usopen.com/en_US/scoring/playtracker.html Does it work for you?

Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!