IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

Was anybody here taught anything other than using two spaces after a period in school?

I wasn't :~(

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't even know that people used two spaces until a few years ago.

Do you recall at what level of education or which class you were taught to use single-spaces?  Or are you saying there was no specific method taught?

I wasn't

I'm polling all of my friends on this one.  I don't doubt that the article is correct in what the proper usage is, but I've never heard of this until your post, and my college professor buddy who is a grammar/linguist hound hadn't heard of it either.  He's checking to see if Strunk addresses it.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Do you recall at what level of education or which class you were taught to use single-spaces?  Or are you saying there was no specific method taught?

Whenever I first learned to type. I remember taking a typing in 3rd grade, so I must have learned it in 2nd or 1st maybe? Or maybe 3rd. That would have been somewhere between 1998-2000. I've always assumed it was a regional thing, but I was living in New York at the time I would have learned it and I know someone from New Jersey (same age as I am) who uses two spaces. It's funny, I was actually thinking about this a few days ago when I saw the text that Macklemore sent Kendrick Lamar after the Grammys. He's a double spacer.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I was taught 2 spaces in high school typing class. Still do it to this day. Old habits die hard.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I was taught 2 spaces in high school typing class. Still do it to this day. Old habits die hard.

Junior high computer class here. Had no idea until right now that it wasn't 100% universal.

I never heard of double spacing after a period in my life, until now. After checking the writing of my friends it appears they haven't either. Then for everything I could find from a Google search that said to double space I could find another that said to single space..

I'm probably guilty of this lol

Why You Should Never, Ever Put Two Spaces After A Period

http://www.businessinsider.com/never-put-two-spaces-after-a-period-2014-1

We were taught this specifically in typing class. Of course we were also taught to write in cursive.  And we were taught to use a slide rule.  And we grew up without calculators and cell phone and played music on vinyl disks called, "long playing" albums or LP for short.  Typing was done on manual "typewriters" that required muscles to use.  Secretaries had fingers with biceps on them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

We were taught this specifically in typing class. Of course we were also taught to write in cursive.  And we were taught to use a slide rule.  And we grew up without calculators and cell phone and played music on vinyl disks called, "long playing" albums or LP for short.  Typing was done on manual "typewriters" that required muscles to use.  Secretaries had fingers with biceps on them.

You were taught one space? We were taught 2, always. That would have been in 1971..... All manual typewriters, except for 3 giant IBM Selectrics. Each student got the privilege of using an IBM one day each week.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You were taught one space? We were taught 2, always.

That would have been in 1971..... All manual typewriters, except for 3giant IBM Selectrics. Each student got the privilege of using an IBM one day each week.

I took typing in highschool and I don't remember them teaching us 2 spaces. I know I have seen it around from time time. I think it is a byproduct of the old manual typewriter. With the digital age the computer probably manages the correct spacing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I took a typing class but the teacher never said anything about it. Since there were only 2 boys in the class maybe the teacher didn't bother to tell us. I only signed up because a certain girl was in that class anyway.

Hmmm. I thought for all of these years that I could type faster than everybody else in that class. Now I find out that maybe I was playing by one set of rules and maybe they were playing by another.

BTW. There was one electric typewriter in that class but we all hated it because the keys were so much more sensitive than the manual typewriters that we were constantly hitting the wrong keys by accident.

You were taught one space? We were taught 2, always.

That would have been in 1971..... All manual typewriters, except for 3 giant IBM Selectrics. Each student got the privilege of using an IBM one day each week.

I meant we were specifically taught two spaces.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I meant we were specifically taught two spaces.

I gradumacated in 1999 and was taught two spaces.  Same in College.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Anybody notice that the promise of the articles title never proves true? He gave only a concrete reason why there was a time that a lot of were taught two (manual typewriters) but otherwise only "just cuz I say so" answers otherwise. He admits that outside of that window of time for manual typewriters choosing one space is just as arbitrary as choosing two.

Always taught two spaces here. 1978 typing class. Teacher had a PhD. Don't know what in but we believed him on the dbl spacing at the end of a sentence.

At my school they were glad you knew what a sentence was. Never mind the spacing after the period.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Believe it or not that was the case at my school as well. And why would a school such as ours have a PhD as typing teacher? HINT...why did the sheep back away from the farmer at feeding time?

• Administrator

I was taught two but quickly self-adjusted to one when HTML would render just one space regardless of how many you put in.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets