IGNORED

Traveling With Clubs

Biddy
Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be taking Amtrak in roughly two weeks and will be bringing along my clubs as I plan on playing some golf at my destination. Unfortunately, Amtrak requires you to check golf-clubs...and I won't be able to carry them on.

The cover for my bag snaps on at four points, and as a test I snapped it on, flipped the bag upside down, and gave the bag a few shakes. The cover didn't show any signs of falling off or coming undone.

Should this be sufficient? I've watched them load luggage into the checked baggage car and I haven't seen any throwing bags around like they do at airports. Since they're charging me an extra 5 or so bucks since it's a "special item," should the cover be enough?

How do you guys transport your clubs? Does anyone have any experience with clubs on the train?

the only time i traveled with my clubs was when i flew to vegas.  i used a hard cover case; i would suggest the same even though you'll be on a train.  the only way the airline would insure my clubs was if they were in a hard case - do you know amtrak's policy?

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

the only time i traveled with my clubs was when i flew to vegas.  i used a hard cover case; i would suggest the same even though you'll be on a train.  the only way the airline would insure my clubs was if they were in a hard case - do you know amtrak's policy?

I agree that the OP should look into Amtraks policy, but if they do not require a hard case I feel a soft case will be sufficient.  I rode on Amtrak trains before and every Amtrak employee I've see has been very professional when it comes to loading luggage and assiting their customers.  I don't see you have any problems with your clubs on a train.

I'd want my clubs in a hard cover case just to be safe.  Rain covers are designed to keep your clubs dry, not protect them during transit.  While the handlers might be gentle loading and unloading the clubs, there's no guarantee nothing will be piled on top of them or they won't fall during the trip.  A hard case with wheels will also make it easier to transport if you're carrying other luggage as well.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nightmare story.....last spring I flew to Phoenix for my bachelor party and brought my clubs. I had been talking up my new R11 driver to all my buddies and had yet to take it on the course (had hit at the range once or twice). My clubs were transported in a soft travel case that does have a reasonable amount of padding. While we're waiting for our transportation curbside after arriving in AZ, my buddy asks to check out my new weapon....i unzip the case and pull off the head cover of the R11 only to find that the shaft had snapped right below the head! You can only imagine the shock and horror that ensued!! The airline isn't responsible because they only cover damage in hardcases and TM wouldn't do anything because it wasn't a defect in the product itself. Fortunately for me we were playing TPC Scottsdale that morning and there are a few local golf shops right around the corner....I was able to buy another shaft ($100) and screw it right in.

So....a few tips:

1. If you have adjustable drivers/woods, remove the heads when traveling, wrap them in your golf towel and store it in your golfbag.

2. To avoid having to deal with this, spend the extra $$ and buy a hard travel case - I wish I did!

• Upvote 1

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by showtime583

Nightmare story.....last spring I flew to Phoenix for my bachelor party and brought my clubs. I had been talking up my new R11 driver to all my buddies and had yet to take it on the course (had hit at the range once or twice). My clubs were transported in a soft travel case that does have a reasonable amount of padding. While we're waiting for our transportation curbside after arriving in AZ, my buddy asks to check out my new weapon....i unzip the case and pull off the head cover of the R11 only to find that the shaft had snapped right below the head! You can only imagine the shock and horror that ensued!! The airline isn't responsible because they only cover damage in hardcases and TM wouldn't do anything because it wasn't a defect in the product itself. Fortunately for me we were playing TPC Scottsdale that morning and there are a few local golf shops right around the corner....I was able to buy another shaft ($100) and screw it right in.

So....a few tips:

1. If you have adjustable drivers/woods, remove the heads when traveling, wrap them in your golf towel and store it in your golfbag.

2. To avoid having to deal with this, spend the extra $$ and buy a hard travel case - I wish I did!

Wow that sucks. Thanks for the ideas taking the heads off.

I'm going to Chicago in two weeks and I only have a soft cover bag.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Shot 1

one of my local shops have a couple of hard cases that they rent out. Also may find used ones on craig's list. Have a Safe trip.

Renting a hard case is a great idea. I'm flying to Hawaii at the end of the year. I'll have to look around for a rental.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Get the club glider from Sun Mountain. I have used several different travel bags and the Club Glider is heads above anything else.

http://www.sunmountain.com/news/sun-mountain-pga-show/

I have used the club glider to travel all over the United States and every time I go somewhere someone stops me and asks me what it is and where they can get one. I have a hard case and the bad thing about them is they are really bulky and they will not fit in the trunk of anything less than a full size car, so you can forget about renting anything cheap.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I would definitely get something other than the rain hood...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

• Administrator
Originally Posted by NM Golf

Get the club glider from Sun Mountain. I have used several different travel bags and the Club Glider is heads above anything else.

I have used the club glider to travel all over the United States and every time I go somewhere someone stops me and asks me what it is and where they can get one. I have a hard case and the bad thing about them is they are really bulky and they will not fit in the trunk of anything less than a full size car, so you can forget about renting anything cheap.

Ditto!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Have you tried "The Last Bag" and found this one to be better? I was almost about to buy the last bag, but this thread may change my mind.

Michael

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mchepp

Have you tried "The Last Bag" and found this one to be better? I was almost about to buy the last bag, but this thread may change my mind.

I haven't but I've traveled with guys who have that bag.

They all end up wanting mine. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've traveled on Amtrak numerous times and not had to check my clubs.  I was on Northeast Regional, so it may differ line to line, but honestly I'd be surprised if anyone said anything if you just walked on and put your clubs up.

My dad had a handy trip when he traveled with his clubs. I've tried it & it does work - just put your clubs in the bag upside down - heads first. Keeps them from rattling around & the bottom of the bag serves as protection for them. Just snap on the cover. It may be a bit tough with an oversized Driver, but you could leave than one head up.

Get a golf travel bag.  You don't need a heavy duty expensive one,  Just get one that will contain your entire rig without letting anything spill or slip out.

Taking the heads off adjustable woods is a great idea.

I have a 48" PVC pipe that I put in my golf bag before putting the whole thing in a travel bag (Ogio "smaller"  version called Straight Jacket). Since PVC  arranged to be longer than any of my clubs, it stops any impact from getting down to the clubs. You can buy a gadget like this at Golfsmith for $30-$40. The PVC pipe costs a few dollars at Home Depot. (Plus, I wanted a 6' segment of PVC for a golf drill. At Home Depot, PVC pipe comes in 10' sections. So, I got the 4' section for travel "for free." I think the entire set up cost me $5)

One more thing -- mark your travel bag with tape, ribbon, color... some way to make sure someone doesn't accidentally take yours. Lots of black travel bags look the same. That is another reason I like my Ogio bag -- it is distinctive. No one will accidentally grab my bag. All that said, that Sun Mountain Club Glider looks like a heck of a bag. Order a crazy color and add something to make it distinctly yours.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

That brings up a funny story.

Once I was traveling for business out to Cali and decided to take my clubs to get a round in.

I was waiting and waiting and waiting for my golf bag, and it never showed up. So I talk to the bag issues office for the airline. I told them I haven't seen my bag.

So we walk over to the carasel, and see another golf bag, and everyone is gone. Uh oh, somebody took my bag!!!!

So they ended up calling the guy who's bag was left. He was on his way home already. Told him he took my bag!!

I had a big tag on it clearly with my name and everything. Why are people in such a hurry, that they just grab the  bag without looking at the label?

I was so pissed off, by the time he got back to the airport, and found this guy, got my bag and he got his. But 2 hours went by, and I missed my tee time.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!