IGNORED

My Edel Putter Fitting

Note:Β This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

My Edel took essentially the longest it possibly could take, and I still received it before I got the credit card bill that had the payment on it.Β ;-)Β 

It's not like you hand Erik an envelope of cash!

I got out to practice a bit today...I really like the heavier feel. I was on a bad artificial green, so I mostly focused on AimPoint reads, but I did some ladder drills for distance control and it seemed much better than it was with my previous putter. I think there is also a confidence factor in knowing that I am actually aiming where I think I am.

Wait, Erik doesn't make you give him a envelope of cash every time you see him? Something seems off there!

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this as I am flying up to Buffalo for TNF cough, cough "market visit" and I am meeting @iacasΒ Friday morning for my Edel fitting.Β 

I'm going back and forth on colors for my paint fill and what to have stamped on my putter. Really looking forward to it, as my course just punched the greens so by the time the Edel arrives, I should have great greens to putt on.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check outΒ Evolvr

:callaway:Β Rogue ST 10.5* |Β :callaway:Β Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade:Β P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist:Β 716Β AP2Β | Β :edel:Β Wedges 50/54/68 |Β :edel:Β Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67Β (18 holes),Β 32Β (9 holes)

So I had my Edel fitting with @iacasΒ yesterday morning in Erie at Golf Evolution. I told Erik that if we had something similar to Golf Evolution in Arkansas, my wife would divorce me. Great place to practice when the weather conditions are less than ideal.

I currently am putting with this putter. Ive had it for 10 years. Last year I sent it in to be refinished in black, with a copper milled insert put in, instead of the softer odyssey version. I have no clue how much it weighs these days, but I do know it is 35"

crmsn_550_large.jpg

Β 

Fast forward to yesterday. I have always used mallet type putters. The one above, odyssey #9, scotty cameron fast back #1.5, scotty cameron futura, because its what I thought fit me.Β 

Well I ended up aiming all the Edel mallets way right. Erik put a "hot dog" blade putter in my hand it I got it pretty close to square. Then he added a line, closer, and then erased the line on the top of the putter and left it on the bottom. Perfect. I couldn't believe how sensitive I was to the line on the bottom of the putter. Next up, I hit some putts and the lighter the putter the more "handsy" my stroke was. I ended up going with a 390g head and 80g counter weight in the grip. I was pretty consistent getting the ball to stop near the string when the putter was heavier. I'm also in a 36" putter now, which is long than I am used to. I dont know if I am 100% sold on a round grip yet, but I'll give it a shot for a bit before I decide to change it.Β 

Erik sent the order to Edel and I cant wait for the next two weeks or so to go by so I can start earning some birdie money from by buddies.Β 

Here is the rough version of my putter in Tampa Bay Lightning black and blue. I got my 3 dogs names stamped on the sole of the club. Have to keep the wife happy with that one.Β 

IMG_1182.JPGFullSizeRender.jpg

• Upvote 3

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway:Β Rogue ST 10.5* |Β :callaway:Β Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade:Β P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist:Β 716Β AP2Β | Β :edel:Β Wedges 50/54/68 |Β :edel:Β Deschutes 36"

• Administrator

F0 hosel and 370g head actually @kpaulhus.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

After you get your aim dialed in with the fitting do you go back to aiming your original putter for a final comparison?

Just to make sure that the aim improvmentΒ isn't a result of just getting better at aim because of the laser aim training.Β 

Funny, that's the kind I wanted but I ended up with the mallet haha

Ryan M
Β 
The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)
Β 
IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

After you get your aim dialed in with the fitting do you go back to aiming your original putter for a final comparison?

Just to make sure that the aim improvmentΒ isn't a result of just getting better at aim because of the laser aim training.Β 

You're not supposed to see where you aim the laser when getting fit. So, really you don't know how bad it is to correct it. The edel just lines you up straight based on what your eyes tell you is straight.Β 

I did make 4 birdies on the back 9 today with my current putter. All outside 15 ft. Just had good pace today. Excited for my edel to arrive so I can make a birdie on almost every green I hit!Β :whistle::banana:

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator
9 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

It's not training.

If it was, adding something as simple as a line or a dot at the very end would have no effect. It often has a huge effect.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

My putter arrived this afternoon. I'm really happy with how it turned out.Β 

I requested to have the edel in script on the face, and no dots. I got my 3 dogs names stamped on the sole. It's an awesome feeling.Β 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Kyle Paulhus

Very nice looking!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

@iacasΒ those Tampa Bay Lightning colors turned out pretty good!

Kyle Paulhus

• 2 weeks later...

4 rounds in with my putter and it is creating some buzz within my regular golfing group. Last night I had 11 putts in 9 holes. I've had 9 birdies in my last 4 rounds. What an improvement over my previous putter. I told the guys if this kept up they would end up paying for the putter for me!

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

4 rounds in with my putter and it is creating some buzz within my regular golfing group. Last night I had 11 putts in 9 holes. I've had 9 birdies in my last 4 rounds. What an improvement over my previous putter. I told the guys if this kept up they would end up paying for the putter for me!

Did you find the adjustment period was very long?

For those reading that for the first time, I basically mean that if you aim your putter right, you'll develop a pull stroke, and if you aim left, a push stroke. So sometimes it takes 50-100 putts or so before the old compensation for your aim works itself out.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you find the adjustment period was very long?

For those reading that for the first time, I basically mean that if you aim your putter right, you'll develop a pull stroke, and if you aim left, a push stroke. So sometimes it takes 50-100 putts or so before the old compensation for your aim works itself out.

I would say I putted on the practice green for 30 mins the day I got it, then one round I missed a few that I felt I had just read wrong. The putt went exactly where I was aiming. Since then, if I make a good read, I either make the putt or its kicked back to me for a gimmie.Β 

Other than the head shape going from mallet to blade, the other big change was the weight, so my putting stroke isn't as long as it was before. My last 4 rounds with my old putter were 40, 35, 32, 37. My last 4 rounds with my Edel have been 33, 32, 34, 32, so I am pretty happy.Β 

Kyle Paulhus

• 2 months later...

I have a Bridgestone putter, but I was fit by an Edel fitter (Erik aka @iacasΒ hooked me up for free when I was down for a lesson). I couldn't afford an EdelΒ but I was able to take all the info I learned about my stroke and aim bias and put it to good use. The Bridgestone was a gift from @boogieliciousΒ andΒ it already hadΒ the right profile andΒ alignment marks to fit my eye. IΒ changed the shaft and added after market weights to the butt of the club and now it's asΒ perfect as a putter can be. The only way it's ever coming out of the bag voluntarily is if I end up getting a custom Edel at some point.Β 

The point of the story is, you don't necessarily need an Edel, but you DO need to understand what works for your eye and stroke. I suspect that most people, with the correct information,Β can find an off the shelf that fits the aim bias and get close enough in the weight profile that you can get there by tinkering with after market weights. Of course, in my case, IΒ do best with a little extra meat (weight) in the handle, it may be a little more difficult for folks that need the weight below the grip or centre of the shaft, but even then, it can be done with corks and lead.Β 

I currently don't get enough golf in per year to justify an Edel, but if/when I ever get back to 50+ roundsΒ a year, I may have to take the plunge. Or maybe not, my current Bridgestone never gives my the impression that it was the arrow, the arrow is damn near perfect, it's the archer that needs some more practice.Β 

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

I played with @kpaulhusΒ recently and he let me roll his Edel. Β It felt weird but only because it's set up specifically for him and I tend to have a different style of putter. Β That said, the ball felt amazing coming off the face.

I'll be down in Orlando for 2 weeks in late Feb/early Mar and I'm planning to find an Edel fitter and go through a fitting one day. Β I've got 4 putters in the stall at home and just can't seem to find my happy place with any of them. Β I love every club in my bag except my putter right now. Β If I can find "the one" then I'm sticking with it.

If anyone has a reco for a good Edel fitter in Orlando/Tampa then I'm all ears.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 WoodΒ | 14.5 degreesΒ | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degreesΒ | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist VokeyΒ SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

Note:Β This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!