IGNORED

How to Effectively Create Lag on the Downswing

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, so if I were to guess Garcia's wrist hinge measurements in degrees, where the shaft is "inline" with his arms/shoulder shallowing, it's definitely below 90 at minimum, maybe 70 minimum versus the 30-45 that 2D shows, but this video (not sure if this is Garcia, I don't think it is, looks like someone exaggerating his move) shows 55 measured in 3D.

wh.png.954c473f688e2c05d8ef88b87f8b7c66.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This kid at A6 is almost parallel to the horizon and then steepens the rest of the way. A4 is totally different from Garcia, but from the down the line, if his 2D angle wrist was 45 degrees, wouldn't the shaft be a lot closer to his body around A6?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

This kid at A6 is almost parallel to the horizon and then steepens the rest of the way. A4 is totally different from Garcia, but from the down the line, if his 2D angle wrist was 45 degrees, wouldn't the shaft be a lot closer to his body around A6?

A4.JPG.9b6bd21a6365ae8b9d6a6271bb1fc8ca.

A5.JPG.a7351750562c2fd0f6b079c55c08ac92.

That hand drop is crazy. He kinda squats down a bit, so that is why the red line is above the shoulder at A5. Still, the club head barely moves yet his hands drop like a foot and a half. 

It would be interesting to actually see him hit a few drives outside. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Anyone remember Sergio Garcia's swing in 97, 98? TV announcers went nuts over his swing. His swing was much more extreme then, Garcia toned it down and ~2000, it didn't look as laggy. Unfortunately, there aren't any videos on YouTube.

Steve

28 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Anyone remember Sergio Garcia's swing in 97, 98? TV announcers went nuts over his swing. His swing was much more extreme then, Garcia toned it down and ~2000, it didn't look as laggy. Unfortunately, there aren't any videos on YouTube.

As I understand it there are compensations needed for being too flat and I'm sure that probably has something to do with Sergio toning it down over the years.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

23 minutes ago, billchao said:

As I understand it there are compensations needed for being too flat and I'm sure that probably has something to do with Sergio toning it down over the years.

Yes, it's gotta be harder to time the more extreme it is.

Steve

Is there anything about having a "long left thumb" that stretches down the grip underneath the right hand, instead of being a bit bunched up - and any impact it might have on casting, lag, sequencing, left wrist?

Colin P.

13 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Is there anything about having a "long left thumb" that stretches down the grip underneath the right hand, instead of being a bit bunched up - and any impact it might have on casting, lag, sequencing, left wrist?

According to @mvmac,

Make it easy on yourself and go with the long lead thumb. Greatly assists in the mobility of the wrist hinge on the backswing and downswing.

and

Another common mistake in the left pic, right thumb is running down the middle of the grip. A more functional position on the right, just the upper right "tip" of the thumb is in contact with the grip. Left pic position can contribute more to "casting" or losing leverage at too fast a rate.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

15 hours ago, colin007 said:

Thanks Broham. Thought I'd seen something on that a while ago.

It's an easy thing to test. Just grip the club with a long thumb and short thumb and see the difference of how much hinge you get. For me, it is a lot! I moved on to a long thumb last year with council from my Evolvr instructor.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Video demo:

• Upvote 1

Steve

• 1 year later...

I hope this thread is okay to ask about this in.  I haven't looked through the entirety of the Elbow Position thread linked in the top post either, so maybe I need to do that.

My latest/current priority piece relates to lag;  in particular, feeling like the club is going to hit my shoulder early in the downswing (obviously we don't want it to literally do so).   Even at the slowest, no-contact-intended piece-by-piece, I am having trouble even getting the shaft much the right side of 90 degrees (I cast and it ends up at like 115 degrees at P5).  

Is there a way to find out the priority piece-within-my-priority piece?  As in, a particular motion or something I should change in order to best do this?

(I hope it's okay that I post this question in this thread, seeing as how the piece relates to creating lag, the main topic of the thread)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Lag, for me, always equates to a lack of urgency.  My good swing is languid and lazy.  As if there is all the time in the world.  A really good pass feels like nothing.  Resisting the impulse to add something extra is my bete noir.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• 2 months later...

Yeah this kid is great.  He does the important move of starting the swing with the left hip while the right side is quiet.  This torques the coil or X factor  and he has no attempt to hit with upper body/torso and shoulders thus his shoulders stay turned while his arms drop just like sergio and hogan.  Then he just continues to turn by straightening his lead leg which causes his left shoulder and left hip to reverse directions thus snapping the towel of lag at the ball. 

I love thid swing because this kid is not strong he just has a great movement and probably hits it a ton looks about 12-13 years old.  Really cool 

On 8/22/2017 at 2:22 PM, Shindig said:

I hope this thread is okay to ask about this in.  I haven't looked through the entirety of the Elbow Position thread linked in the top post either, so maybe I need to do that.

My latest/current priority piece relates to lag;  in particular, feeling like the club is going to hit my shoulder early in the downswing (obviously we don't want it to literally do so).   Even at the slowest, no-contact-intended piece-by-piece, I am having trouble even getting the shaft much the right side of 90 degrees (I cast and it ends up at like 115 degrees at P5).  

Is there a way to find out the priority piece-within-my-priority piece?  As in, a particular motion or something I should change in order to best do this?

(I hope it's okay that I post this question in this thread, seeing as how the piece relates to creating lag, the main topic of the thread)

Try swinging the club barely holding on with just your fingertips,  you won’t have enough grip pressure to apply leverage you’ll only be able to swing it using your pivot and arms.  You should get massive lag.  Then slowly increase your grip contact 

Note: This thread is 2368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!