IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You know one thing that is NOT an improvement in the system is that when you enter a 9 hole round it doesn't show at all anymore. Last year it showed so you knew that the system accepted it. Now it won't display until you play another 9 holes so it can combine. Nice they did this without putting it on the web site. They may have sent out an e-mail at the beginning of the year, but come on it should be on the web site, and not buried somewhere.

Say you have an HC of 22 - 23. You can have an outlier personal best round in the low 80s where you got really hot on a course that absolutely suits your game but for some reason is rated say 72 with a decent slope rating. This can haunt you for over a year. I'm talking about the upper end HC bogey golfer, not you good players. You never play like that again the rest of the season, yet it absolutely kills your handicap by dropping it three to four strokes. Yes, I know you're excited about the round but best not to enter it into the system until you know it's repeatable. Laminate the scorecard and frame it.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You never play like that again the rest of the season, yet it absolutely kills your handicap by dropping it three to four strokes. Yes, I know you're excited about the round but best not to enter it into the system until you know it's repeatable. Laminate the scorecard and frame it.

So...... In other words you are advocating for sandbagging?

I don't remember seeing 9 hole scores being shown. I suppose it depends how/where you post. I use my phone and GHIN isn't my main service, still prefer GolfNet because the stat tracking is superior, so I post to GHIN via the CGA site or course computer.

Dave :-)

No I don't advocate sandbagging. It's that if one shoots an 82 and can't break 94 the rest of the season that 82 is essentially punishment.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

... It's that if one shoots an 82 and can't break 94 the rest of the season that 82 is essentially punishment.

If the "82" produced a differential of 9.0 and your next 9 best differentials total 180.0 you would have an index of 18.1.  If your 10 best equaled 200.0 it results in an index of 19.2  That is only a 1.1 difference.  I don't see an index of 18.1 versus 19.2 as being all that much of a punishment.

Many of us play more than 50 times in a year so an outlier differential typically washes out of the calculation at some point during the season.

Brian Kuehn

Mine is calculated from Golfshot, with RCGA selected as the handicap method. Golfshot allows you to pay for the USGA one to be maintained. So yeah, its not official as Im not a member of Golf Canada/Manitoba, but Im assuming Golfshot has done the math right.

You know one thing that is NOT an improvement in the system is that when you enter a 9 hole round it doesn't show at all anymore. Last year it showed so you knew that the system accepted it. Now it won't display until you play another 9 holes so it can combine. Nice they did this without putting it on the web site. They may have sent out an e-mail at the beginning of the year, but come on it should be on the web site, and not buried somewhere.

Say you have an HC of 22 - 23. You can have an outlier personal best round in the low 80s where you got really hot on a course that absolutely suits your game but for some reason is rated say 72 with a decent slope rating. This can haunt you for over a year. I'm talking about the upper end HC bogey golfer, not you good players. You never play like that again the rest of the season, yet it absolutely kills your handicap by dropping it three to four strokes. Yes, I know you're excited about the round but best not to enter it into the system until you know it's repeatable. Laminate the scorecard and frame it.

Oddly enough, the Ghin app on my phone does show my "pending" 9-hole scores as well as the combined scores, on a separate page.  The Pending scores don't shop up on any of the other pages.  On the Ghin website, I can only see a page for the revision scores, and a separate page for the 20 most recent.

A single low score like the one mentioned will typically only reduce your index by about one stroke.  The differential is around 10 below the index, and when you divide that by 10, its only one stroke or so.  The only way for a single round to change your handicap by 3 or 4 strokes is for it to be 30 or 40 strokes below the index, and that's pretty unlikely.  It can haunt you for 19 more rounds, but the time it takes to play 19 more rounds varies from person to person.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Down to 14.0 as of September 1. Personal best, and none of the five least recent differentials are used, so here's hoping to an even better handicap in the not-too-distant future :-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big C

No I don't advocate sandbagging. It's that if one shoots an 82 and can't break 94 the rest of the season that 82 is essentially punishment.

Once I had 78 and the 19 other scores in 90s in the system.   This skewed my HI by 1.5 points for 2 months (I average 10+ rounds per month).   My tournament scores in those two months were so bad that the 78 in the system wasn't a factor.   It'd have been a factor in tight match play.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Haaaaaaiiill YES~   Was 1.7...................now 1.2  BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

heh

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Haven't updated anything on here for a while but I've since been cut to 3.1 (was off 4.0 over a year ago on here). Currently playing the best golf of my life, also considering I've never had a lesson.

Mine is not official, it's an estimate worked out based on my scoring this summer. I've never bothered with a handicap because I've not been a member of a club since I started playing again 4 years ago and to be honest I drop in and out of golf and only play in the summer. Always felt I could work out how well I'm playing without a number and never really knew about these online handicap websites, etc. I have decided to get serious with my golf now though so will be looking to get an official handicap and work hard to reduce it. Will also look to play throughout winter and tick over.

Dropped to 5.6.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 2 weeks later...

7.5, won't play again before the update and dang it took me a long time to get back into the 7's. Still have two months to knock it down a bit more. Breaking 80 consistently again, which is good, I was ready to call it quits.

Dave :-)

Back down a little from 18.2 to 18. Didn't play much golf during that time though, unfortunately.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 1191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!