IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

Under the USGA rules, we're required to post all scores, including non-competition scores, as long as we play within the rules (mostly) and play with someone else.  

As I read the CONGU manual, that's a CONGU thing.  I think it may be new this year.

I don't know if I would like that more. My dad is a 5 day member so can't play in Saturday comps, and therefore he can never play in a competition to reduce his handicap (He's a bad 28 so never would but that's not the point.) So i can absolutely see the benefit of the USGA system. I do like that it;'s limited to competition rounds here though.

And Manuals....pfft... nahh don't read them.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Steviestuboy said:

Been having a look on Google. I think the US version is a much better set up.  I would prefer if the UK adopted this but doubt it will ever happen.  

11 minutes ago, Asmanning95 said:

I do like that it;'s limited to competition rounds here though.

And Manuals....pfft... nahh don't read them.

Two different views on the same system.  If you look around you can find a thread that discusses a unification of handicap systems worldwide, potentially as early as 2018.  If that truly happens, I imagine you lot will move closer to the current USGA system, and we'll move closer to the CONGU.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

As I read the CONGU manual, that's a CONGU thing.  I think it may be new this year.

It's been around for a few years.

We've discussed this before on here. Basically US handicaps are more representative of someone's general golfing ability.

UK ones are more representative of their ability in competitions and applying full rules.

Just now, Pete said:

It's been around for a few years.

We've discussed this before on here. Basically US handicaps are more representative of someone's general golfing ability.

UK ones are more representative of their ability in competitions and applying full rules.

Have supplementary (non-competition) scores always been allowed under CONGU?  That's what I was referring to, but I could certainly be wrong.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

11 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Have supplementary (non-competition) scores always been allowed under CONGU?  That's what I was referring to, but I could certainly be wrong.

Since 2008. I think they've always been restricted to 10 max per year.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Steviestuboy said:

Been having a look on Google. I think the US version is a much better set up.  I would prefer if the UK adopted this but doubt it will ever happen.  

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2013 at 5:45 AM, trackster said:

1.  Yes

2.  Why is it not official if I calculate it myself?  I use an online handicap calculator.

3.  I calculate it myself because I don't need to pay $40 dollars to have a computer calculate a number that I can calculate myself

4.  It's not like I have to sit down with paper and pencil and do it.  There are a million free online handicap calculators.

This is how I feel about it too. I use an online calculator and it seems to be pretty accurate. At least the three guys in their 80's that take my money every other Monday think so.

Golf is like being married to a beautiful woman that can cook, change a flat tire and never turns you down. But   just for fun she slaps you around in public.

Last year I was a 16, beginning of this year a 14. As of this morning, down to 11.9. 

Working to be a single digit by end of year as I replace several 16's with some 10-12's.

The 5 min challenge is well worth the commitment.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On July 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM, trackster said:

Why is it not official if I calculate it myself?  I use an online handicap calculator.

I calculate it myself because I don't need to pay $40 dollars to have a computer calculate a number that I can calculate myself

I understand, and unless you play in competitive tournaments, it doesn't matter.  I only started my official GHIN because I'm playing at St.Andrews soon and they require an official card to play there.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I am down to a 3.8 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Down from 4.4 to 3.8, my lowest for at least two years. :dance:

On the down side, if I stay at that level (and I plan to) I won't be eligible for the interclub playoffs, which require a on-course handicap of 5 or higher.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

Despite not so great golf yesterday  I was able to bring my index back down to 16.6 with the round I played with the college golfers and the last 2 weeks of league. Next two indexes to come off are in the 19s so I have a decent chance at seeing another drop if I can continuing playing solidly, however from there it will get a bit tougher.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

No Change, stayed at 6.2.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Despite my horrendous play at a foreign course yesterday, (which made me decide that when I play golf when I play with my girlfriend, these rounds will always be practice or leisure rounds) I still dropped to a 10.4. I really thought yesterdays round would keep me in the 11 range at least.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Down from 4.4 to 3.8, my lowest for at least two years. :dance:

On the down side, if I stay at that level (and I plan to) I won't be eligible for the interclub playoffs, which require a on-course handicap of 5 or higher.  

Hopefully the course you play will have a 134 slope and you still make it.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Down from an 8.0 to a 6.3. That 0.2 differential from yesterday really dropped my handicap like a stone. I could get down even further in the near future, too. Of my next 6 rounds to come of my handicap, only one of them is used for my index, and it's the highest of the ten scores used for my index. I could legitimately get down to a 4 or something like that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!