IGNORED

Alignment - What's Your Target?

Note: This thread is 2451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you align yourself for each shot?

• Long range target only (flag, part of fairway, etc)
    • Intermediate target only (something in your peripheral vision at setup)
    • Both long and intermediate (like Jack)

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

Ha.  Since you bring up putting, I just realize that I am not consistent.  I definitely don't pick an intermediate target for my putts.  Now I'm thinking that is probably because it would usually be pretty difficult to find one if the green is in decent shape.  Also, when I get far enough away that I can't easily see my actual target then the precision of my alignment is a lot less important anyway. :)

Maybe next time I practice putting (probably sometime in 2019 :P) I'll give this a try.

I do find it hard (sometimes) to pick out an intermediate target.  Sometimes I'll line up the ball in the general direction of where I think I need to start the ball.  When I'm behind the ball I can see if it is pointed left or right of where I want it to go.  I don't ever re-mark the ball but i just know in the back of my mind about "how off" the alignment is and where I should be aligned.  I still pick out a target though.  The harder it is to find a spot, the closer to the ball I look.

One general comment...I like to visualize the "long range" target and the path of the putt before I make my swing/stroke because the last thought that I have going through my head is how hard I want to swing.  It's hard to do that visualizing a spot in front of the ball.  Just my 2 cents...

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, NCGolfer said:

One general comment...I like to visualize the "long range" target and the path of the putt before I make my swing/stroke because the last thought that I have going through my head is how hard I want to swing.  It's hard to do that visualizing a spot in front of the ball.  Just my 2 cents...

LOL, you just reminded me.  This is the actual reason I don't do intermediate targets for putting.  It's a stroke, not a swing, and unlike the swing, it's different every single time depending on how far i want it to go.  Having that intermediate target might lead me to focus too much on line and not enough on weight.

18 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

LOL, you just reminded me.  This is the actual reason I don't do intermediate targets for putting.  It's a stroke, not a swing, and unlike the swing, it's different every single time depending on how far i want it to go.  Having that intermediate target might lead me to focus too much on line and not enough on weight.

I find that having an intermediate target for putting frees me up to only having to worry about the weight. I don't have to think about my line anymore because all I need to do is to roll my ball over X blade of grass or whatever and I know it's good.

• Upvote 3

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Used to do short only but do both now. Short target necessary for stance alignment, long target good for dynamic alignment.  

For short target, 3 feet in front of the ball by looking from behind the ball. Then I walk up and take my stance ensuring feet align to the short target. And then I look up to long target to ensure everything is aligned to it.

Finally I swing trying to keep long target within my peripheral vision as long as possible. I find this to be a good dynamic visual anchor and extremely helpful in keeping a steady head throughout the swing. Keeps me from over-swinging on BS and dropping my shoulders on DS.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

I mainly focus on the intermediate target, but I'll glance up to make sure my toe line points to left of flagstick.

I tend to creep right a little, end result being I'll hit a solid shot and land five yards right of the green.

Also, the glance up to flagstick is necessary if I'm over pristine fairway (beautiful grass with no blemishes or cues), or over discolored grass with multiple similar nicks or turf sprigs in sight.

On close-in partial shots, I can often see the flagstick or landing point out of the corner of my eye before I focus on ball for shot.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

24 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

I find that having an intermediate target for putting frees me up to only having to worry about the weight. I don't have to think about my line anymore because all I need to do is to roll my ball over X blade of grass or whatever and I know it's good.

For putting, short range only leads to poor distance control. I need to have the 'whole' path all the way to the hole in vision.

Vishal S.

I do the long, intermediate and short thing for most full shots. I start with a distant object where i want the ball to start, look at something in the middle, then pick out something a couple feet in front of the ball to align the face. 100 yards and in i may only do a short. Aiming my body too far right of target is probably my biggest swing fault, so 99% of my pre shot routine goes into making sure I'm aligned properly to what I'm looking at. Alot of the time i still dont get it right. 

For putting, it depends on the type of putt. If i have one with like a foot or more of break, ill pick out a target on the line i want the ball to start through the breaking point. Usually a blade of grass, sand, or something like that. Otherwise, i tend to feel target with my right hand at setup after i aligned the ball the way i want. 

17 hours ago, billchao said:

This is what Dave Stockton teaches. I use it for alignment to double check my aim point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 hours ago, GolfLug said:

For short target, 3 feet in front of the ball by looking from behind the ball. Then I walk up and take my stance ensuring feet align to the short target. And then I look up to long target to ensure everything is aligned to it.

:-D  "And then I look up to long target to ensure everything is aligned to it."  arrrrg

When I do that after the first bit (I do the first bit), then I'd have to restart since that look at the flag (or distance target) screws me up royally and makes me 'think' I'm aiming way left.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

30 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

:-D  "And then I look up to long target to ensure everything is aligned to it."  arrrrg

When I do that after the first bit (I do the first bit), then I'd have to restart since that look at the flag (or distance target) screws me up royally and makes me 'think' I'm aiming way left.

Yeah, am pretty sure after the 7th time you will start getting both bits harmonized.. :-) 

For me the trick is to do both bits consistently. Half the time I forget to do the 2nd bit.

Vishal S.

4 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, am pretty sure after the 7th time you will start getting both bits harmonized.. :-)

I have to agree.  If (I trust that) I'm lined up correctly with my blade of grass or whatever to my start line - Then I'm just training my brain to recognize a correct long view - eventually.

Bill - 

Long.....distant mountain peak....a particular tree top (especially palm). I find it helps a lot and when I take my time, I rarely will hit a fade, I might occasionally "pull" one though.  For short shots, pitches, chips, I try to remember to look at my trail toe until after contact. When I do this, I seem to have pretty good outcome, and hardly ever short, but I have overshot the green.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator

Both for all full shots.

Sometimes both for shorter shots like pitches and chips, sometimes not.

Never for putts - just the distant target for those.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For full shots I like to pick an intermediate target, something like a foot infront of the ball. 

For short game shots I just try to align the club face how I want to my target line and set up to the club. I don't use an intermediate target much. 

For putting I do similar to my short game shots. I don't use intermediate targets often. Maybe on longer putts. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!