IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

We currently have -15° temp with a real feel temp of -36º.    And to top it off we received this from the power company.

Screenshot_2019-01-30-22-32-12.png

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, dennyjones said:

We currently have -15° temp with a real feel temp of -36º.    And to top it off we received this from the power company.

Screenshot_2019-01-30-22-32-12.png

Bettah put on a sweatah. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Jan. 31st, in Wisconsin, it's -26 with a balmy -38 wind chill. When the breeze picks up later today, the wind chill will be in the -50's range. "I don't think the heavy stuff's going to come down for quite a while." Yesterday, I had to take the wife's hair dryer outside to thaw the ice blockage from the Air Intake pipe for the furnace.

I hereby swear that I will never again complain in July that it's "too hot to play golf".

-4 this morning but not much wind. Already feels better.

We're going to be in the 50s by Sunday and that has the wheels turning.

Is it possible for the ground to thaw enough to make golf happen?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Uhhhh...I don't think the ground is going to thaw.😢

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

NYC is around 0 this morning.Visited Norway last year where, upon overhearing me complain about the gloomy, chilly rain, a haughty Norwegian turned to us and, in a perfect English accent, said "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes."

Edited by chspeed

31 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Uhhhh...I don't think the ground is going to thaw.😢

Yeah. Sunday would be a stretch. We do have 40s on Saturday though. 

But 50s Sunday through Wednesday before we go back down.

Work's getting rough. I'll have to be clever, but maybe. I think there is a chance.

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

I'm just a few miles from the Canadian border and it was 50 degrees here yesterday. But things will be changing by Sunday, 24 hours of snow predicted and by Monday the temperature down to a toasty 11 degrees.

Metro Golf Dome in Toronto is down due to heavy snow and wind. Have used this facility, it's in my swing thread probably. Wish them luck in getting back on their feet.

image.jpg

The snow storm that slammed the GTA on Monday appears to have ripped through the Metro Golf Dome in Scarborough.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

College player practices during polar vortex. With heaters, 30 minutes, then lost feeling in hands.

B88566585Z.1_20190131064456_000_GCKFRHSI

Do the freezing temperatures stop him? Not a chance. How about snow? “The other day I went outside and shoveled out a square area of grass (to hit balls),” he says. So no, not that either.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

College player practices during polar vortex. With heaters, 30 minutes, then lost feeling in hands.

B88566585Z.1_20190131064456_000_GCKFRHSI

Do the freezing temperatures stop him? Not a chance. How about snow? “The other day I went outside and shoveled out a square area of grass (to...

He's being dumb. You can really injure yourself it you practice too long outdoors when it's that cold. I've done in the 20s, but in the sun with no wind. 30 minutes tops.

Scott

My Swing Thread

For those who think we’ve got it great in So. Cal. Try playing in 2” of water 🤪

3 days of rain with 4 more to go this storm alone! 😩

But I begged for Niagra Falls during our drought, so I guess I asked for it 🤪🤪😜🤪

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 1/31/2019 at 7:11 PM, nevets88 said:

Metro Golf Dome in Toronto is down due to heavy snow and wind. Have used this facility, it's in my swing thread probably. Wish them luck in getting back on their feet.

image.jpg

The snow storm that slammed the GTA on Monday appears to have ripped through the Metro Golf Dome in Scarborough.

Wow! The exact same thing happened to the golf dome here last winter. 

On 2/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, Lihu said:

For those who think we’ve got it great in So. Cal. Try playing in 2” of water 🤪

3 days of rain with 4 more to go this storm alone! 😩

But I begged for Niagra Falls during our drought, so I guess I asked for it 🤪🤪😜🤪

What the heck, it's your rainy season anyway. I was in the wholesale wine business for 30 years, and was working the market w/the sales mgr. of a winery in Paso Robles. She asked if we had a rainy season. I said yes, we call it the calendar year! 

I am suffering depression as a result of the winter. I am still getting out there a few times a week, but my golf has been dreadful. I find playing during the winter so damn hard. In the summer a perfect strike of the ball isn't necessary, as the ball will happily roll 150 yards even if you top it. Hit the ground before the ball, and the club face will bounce off of the hard soil and strike the ball. During the winter neither of these things happen, and the ball has to be struck perfectly. Even then the distance lost because of the weather is significant. Green conditions vary day today, and it takes me to the 9th to get a hold of how hard to hit the ball. At present I am a 16 handicapper playing like someone who has just taken the game up. I know it's the same for everyone, but I play with people who are still playing close to their handicap. NOW, that's depressing 

- Simon Hornsby

55 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

I am suffering depression as a result of the winter. I am still getting out there a few times a week, but my golf has been dreadful. I find playing during the winter so damn hard. In the summer a perfect strike of the ball isn't necessary, as the ball will happily roll 150 yards even if you top it. Hit the ground before the ball, and the club face will bounce off of the hard soil and strike the ball. During the winter neither of these things happen, and the ball has to be struck perfectly. Even then the distance lost because of the weather is significant. Green conditions vary day today, and it takes me to the 9th to get a hold of how hard to hit the ball. At present I am a 16 handicapper playing like someone who has just taken the game up. I know it's the same for everyone, but I play with people who are still playing close to their handicap. NOW, that's depressing 

I find winter is the best time to work on changes. A bit more smart practice can help alleviate some of our issues. Here is New England, we don't have much choice as courses are usually closed. So this year, I have dedicated myself to golf and I am practicing almost everyday. Weather has been cooperating too as I have been able to practice outside even in the cold.

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 1/31/2019 at 12:52 PM, mcanadiens said:

Ahh, it would appear Americans do the same as Brits. You used centigrade to for the cold temperatures, and Fahrenheit for the warmer.  

- Simon Hornsby