IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

A friend of mine is lefty but plays golf right handed - except for putting. He putts left handed. Back to the topic... In Hawaii for business. I'm hoping to get s round or two in to take advantage of this great weather.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

been a mild snowfall winter so far, bastige weatherman forcasted 2-4 inches, got almost 8 inches at my house...

... THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR GOLFFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it put me over the edge ... I snapped & booked a golf trip - going to try Pensacola this winter ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Leaving soon should be interesting. Crap course conditions trying out new irons, driver and hybrids I've hit about 6 times. Definitely not as nice as the news said it would be. The high of 57 will be 10 minutes between 2-3PM but it will feel like 40 because it's breezy with 100% cloud cover.

Dave :-)

A friend of mine is lefty but plays golf right handed - except for putting. He putts left handed.

Back to the topic...

In Hawaii for business. I'm hoping to get s round or two in to take advantage of this great weather.

Hmm, I think it'd prefer to remain distracted and try to forget that there's snow on the ground rather than hear about Hawaii and great weather. ;-):-P

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Hmm, I think it'd prefer to remain distracted and try to forget that there's snow on the ground rather than hear about Hawaii and great weather.

There's always a price to pay for being in the paradise, of course.  The green fees here is outrageous for tourists.  They usually discount green fees 50% or more for residents but price gauge tourists.

I need to find a way to become a resident of HI somehow.

Don

There's always a price to pay for being in the paradise, of course.  The green fees here is outrageous for tourists.  They usually discount green fees 50% or more for residents but price gauge tourists.

True, what good is having beautiful golfing weather if you can't play golf because it costs too much, haha.

If you find a way without having to move there, let us know. ;-)

Christian

We have a blizzard coming this week so today was my last chance to get a little practice in. There a turf fields in Riverside park which are great for short game practice. (And there's no signs I've seen that prohibit golf) It was warm enough to be outside but still enough snow on the ground that I figured the usual soccer hooligans wouldn't be there. Well there were some soccer players, but enough free space for me to practice 40 yd pitches. There were also some patches where snow was cleared away which were perfect for greens to aim at. Snow prevented excessive roll and I used some yellow Top Flites my bro got me for xmas. This was the best winter practice session I think I've ever had:

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

We have a blizzard coming this week so today was my last chance to get a little practice in. There a turf fields in Riverside park which are great for short game practice. (And there's no signs I've seen that prohibit golf) It was warm enough to be outside but still enough snow on the ground that I figured the usual soccer hooligans wouldn't be there. Well there were some soccer players, but enough free space for me to practice 40 yd pitches. There were also some patches where snow was cleared away which were perfect for greens to aim at. Snow prevented excessive roll and I used some yellow Top Flites my bro got me for xmas. This was the best winter practice session I think I've ever had:

I was down in the city this weekend and in my mom's neighborhood in it didn't snow too badly and by this morning/early afternoon, most of the snow had melted.  Made me wish I brought my clubs down and maybe get a round in, haha.

Christian

Played the Knolls today with son in law and a father/son twosome. Great mid winter weather, 60* sunny, light wind. Tees and greens still frozen, thawed a half inch on top. Fairways getting a bit chewed up, rough cut short and very playable.

Scored a bit worse than average for me, but bested son in law by 2. Working on a new 4H, got the distance gap filled but pulled left too often. I think I can work this out. Putting poor by all. Son in law had his driver working on distance but with a two way miss. My driving stunk for distance and only hit 10 fairways. Did get a couple good wedges, one within 8 feet from 40 yrds over a tree, and sunk another from 25 yrds.

All in all, not a bad day for not having played in a month or more.

Forecast for 3 more good days this week. Hope to get another round or two in before the next cold snap.

@Dave2512 - Fight the depression, pick better days to play! ;-)

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

been a mild snowfall winter so far, bastige weatherman forcasted 2-4 inches, got almost 8 inches at my house... ... THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR GOLFFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it put me over the edge ... I snapped & booked a golf trip - going to try Pensacola this winter ...

Pensacola can get pretty nippy in the winter. I'd go farther south if I were you, but then again, Key West isn't warm enough for me some days. Pensacola should not even be considered Florida. It LA (Lower Alabama).

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

So, thanks to the normal British winter weather (i.e. rain) returning the snow is now gone so went back to the range on Sunday with a view to practicing the advice given by Mike and Erik.

So, did the winter depression go after this session? well, no, not really.

Advice was excellent but didnt work for me, spent half the basket hitting push slices and fats and almost gave up.

So i sat back and though about all the advice i had been given and one thing jumped out....Single Axis Swing.

Not the Moe Norman kind but a Hybrid version i had seen by Kirk Junge. So i gave it a try.

Did it change my game from the first shot like we often hear? no, the 1st two balls ricoched of the bay walls but every shot after that was straight, long and had that lovely "click" sound.

I think the winter depression has been officially broken!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

My 45-degree Saturday became 42, then 40. I went anyway and it probably didn't break 38. It didn't matter much because the sun disappeared by the 3rd hole and the winds whipped up. My hands were numb by No. 6. I packed it in after nine. Not all for nothing. Had some good company and hit a few decent shots.

We got about 4 inches over night. It'll probably be a while before I get my next shot.

My 45-degree Saturday became 42, then 40. I went anyway and it probably didn't break 38. It didn't matter much because the sun disappeared by the 3rd hole and the winds whipped up. My hands were numb by No. 6. I packed it in after nine. Not all for nothing. Had some good company and hit a few decent shots. We got about 4 inches over night. It'll probably be a while before I get my next shot.

Glad to hear that you got out this weekend. Pittsburgh got 4 inches, as well, AND it's still snowing. :~(

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Who goes to Hawaii for "business"? C'mon @Yukari , how's that Hawaiian Skunk Weed field going? Lol :-)

LOL!!! Oh how I wish that was true. I'd be raking in cash left and right and wouldn't have to work then. Unfortunately - or fortunately depending on how you look at it - there is commerce besides tourism in Hawaii.

Don

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

been a mild snowfall winter so far, bastige weatherman forcasted 2-4 inches, got almost 8 inches at my house...

... THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR GOLFFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it put me over the edge ... I snapped & booked a golf trip - going to try Pensacola this winter ...

Pensacola can get pretty nippy in the winter. I'd go farther south if I were you, but then again, Key West isn't warm enough for me some days. Pensacola should not even be considered Florida. It LA (Lower Alabama).

compared to the frozen tundra of Pennsylvania, even Pensacola will feel glorious (even if I have to wear a sweater)  !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

So nice here 73 ATM. Wasted day yesterday. It got up to 69 but I felt so bad golf wasn't happening. I tried, hit about 30 balls on the range before packing it in. Just stiff and general feeling of malaise so I decided not to torture myself after two dozen clangers on the range. Feel great today but chained to the desk.

Dave :-)

I think we might actually have a spring this year the way the warmth is coming in. Fingers crossed. Been trying to slim down during the winter.. curious to see how it'll affect my game.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3