IGNORED

Norman says "probably would have" beaten Tiger

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I get Norman is talking about his prime years but it's not like he was on the Champions Tour when Tiger came out on tour.

Quote:

Former world No. 1 Greg Norman has rarely, if ever, shied away from a chance to offer his opinion. A recent interview with Golf Magazine was no exception, as the Australian favorably assessed his standing against some of the game's best, including the man currently atop the world rankings.

"I never feared anything or anyone on the course, and I wasn't afraid to fail. So I think I'd do pretty well against Snead, Hogan, Tiger (Woods) and Phil (Mickelson) - whoever," Norman told the publication. "Tiger's a tough guy, but I was a tough guy on the course, too. I probably would have beat him."

The playing career of the two-time major champion drew to a close just as Woods' began to take off, with Norman struggling through his historic final-round collapse at The Masters in 1996, one year before Woods won his first green jacket at the age of 21. The most recent of Norman's 20 career PGA Tour wins came in August 1997, and the Australian has not made more than 10 PGA Tour starts in a year since 2002, a season in which Woods' five wins included both the Masters and the U.S. Open.

Later in the interview, Norman turned his attention to another former world No. 1, Rory McIlroy , whose struggles this year he insists extend beyond the realm of equipment.

"I spent a lot of time trying different shafts and, when I found a good match, making sure the spine was set in the same place on every club," added Norman. "I got it right, so I can't figure out why today's pros can't do likewise.

"Take Rory. It's absurd to say he has gear issues," Norman said of McIlroy, who recorded his first win of 2013 earlier this month at the Australian Open. "It's so easy to re-create the same specs and feel from one set to the next. Something else is going on (with him)."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hysterical.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yet, I think his fearlessness caught up with him on a few major losses. That and other players making some crazy as hell shots. I believe a few chip-ins cost him a couple tournaments. I don't mind him saying that about Tiger. He's a confident guy, more power to him.

I agree with Greg on the equipment issue with Rory. These guys are the best, and I think the club makers are that good at making clubs for these guys, especially for a world number 1. I can't see how it would cause him to have that big of a down turn. I think he got caught up with the girlfriend, the switching management companies, ect.. It seems that after Rory started representing himself with his own company that he's in a better place.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Occasionally, yes. But just about every PGA Tour player can say that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with him.  Simple math.

Norman ALMOST beat Mize, and he ALMOST beat Tway, and EVERYBODY knows that Mize and Tway > Tiger, so it stands to reason that Norman would beat Tiger. :whistle:

Quote:

"I never feared anything or anyone on the course, and I wasn't afraid to fail. So I think I'd do pretty well against Snead, Hogan, Tiger (Woods) and Phil (Mickelson) - whoever," Norman told the publication. "Tiger's a tough guy, but I was a tough guy on the course, too. I probably would have beat him."

I had to laugh. It was a bit of a down period, post-Nicklaus and Watson, and pre-Tiger. Greg could have filled that void because he was a stellar talent, but he should have won a lot more Majors than he did. Who were his best competition in his prime? I would guess Seve Ballesteros and Nick Faldo, maybe Payne Stewart? If he could only win two Majors in his prime, what could he be thinking? Not a knock on them, especially Seve, but they ain't Snead, Hogan or Tiger.

Bill M

Norman once again using Tiger to remain relevant.  He had a good career and should leave it at that.   I go agree with his comments on Rory, the Nike clubs aren't his biggest problem.

Joe Paradiso

Norman once again using Tiger to remain relevant.  He had a good career and should leave it at that.   I go agree with his comments on Rory, the Nike clubs aren't his biggest problem.

I don't think Rory's clubs are a problem at all. It has to be between the ears.

Will W

I've got no issues with what he said, figure the guy's a competitor (or at least was) so what's he going to say. I've certainly never competed at that level in any sport, but I've got to think the guys who do reach that level go into every event feeling like they can win.

I've got no issues with what he said, figure the guy's a competitor (or at least was) so what's he going to say. I've certainly never competed at that level in any sport, but I've got to think the guys who do reach that level go into every event feeling like they can win.

Plus no way to prove his statement either way however he sounds stupid saying it. I don't think he is that bright honestly. I think he's a ditz.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Norman might beat Tiger at wine making..

He is already a lot better at w(h)ining.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

After re-reading the article I think he means beating Tiger in most ex-wives ;-)

I had to laugh. It was a bit of a down period, post-Nicklaus and Watson, and pre-Tiger. Greg could have filled that void because he was a stellar talent, but he should have won a lot more Majors than he did. Who were his best competition in his prime? I would guess Seve Ballesteros and Nick Faldo, maybe Payne Stewart? If he could only win two Majors in his prime, what could he be thinking? Not a knock on them, especially Seve, but they ain't Snead, Hogan or Tiger.

Tom Watson, Fred Couples, Curtis Strange, Bernard Langer, Ray Floyd I guess.  Yeah I agree with what you said.

He's stating the obvious, Tiger doesn't win every tournament.

Yes that's kinda what Erik said, obviously if you win a tournament with Tiger in the field, you beat Tiger, heck if you shot a lower score than he did that week you beat Tiger.  To me Norman's comment was alluding to them going head to head in the last round of a major or even beating Tiger on the money/world ranking lists.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Plus no way to prove his statement either way however he sounds stupid saying it.

A top level pro making a statement of confidence in his own playing abilities....how unusual

I doubt there is any top 20 (top 100) pro that doesn't think he could beat the #1 player on occasion

to me, this is a non-topic (and yet I comment.....oh the ironing)

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!