IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

13 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

If a Tiger withdraws from the U.S. Open, and no one on the Sand Trap makes a post about it for several hours, has he really withdrawn at all?

I saw it, was gonna post it, then was like, we all pretty much figured he's not going to be back for awhile, why bother. If it was a swing video and it showed he was more limber, different story.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Judging from latest press conference maybe next year?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

He finally is being smart about his recovery.  He has to know this is his last chance and it's better to come back next year at 100% versus trying to get back now at 60% or whatever he is at. 

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

His words from the press conference.

Steve

On 5/26/2016 at 11:38 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

I think the idea of 39-40 year old golfer hanging it up for good is pretty ridiculous. 

We're going to see Tiger return to competitive golf at some point. The press is blowing up those wedge shots at congressional into some kind of Freudian premintion. 

I think you're right in most cases, but not this one.  I think the wedge shots at congressional were very telling.  Tiger the world #1 would never have allowed that to happen - if he couldn't have hit the shot, for whatever reason, he wouldn't have. 

Something has changed in Tiger.  I used to think "it's a matter of time", but now I'm not so sure.  I'm not willing to say it's impossible . but I feel like it's highly unlikely we'll ever see him compete at a really high level again. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I think you're right in most cases, but not this one.  I think the wedge shots at congressional were very telling.  Tiger the world #1 would never have allowed that to happen - if he couldn't have hit the shot, for whatever reason, he wouldn't have. 

Something has changed in Tiger.  I used to think "it's a matter of time", but now I'm not so sure.  I'm not willing to say it's impossible . but I feel like it's highly unlikely we'll ever see him compete at a really high level again. 

I also think its pretty silly to read into 100 yard wedge shots as the failing of a career. Despite whatever swing or health issues he has going on, Tiger is too much of a freakish talent to not be competitive at some point should he return to the Tour full time. The guy can win a tournament with fred couples back and your swing. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I think the wedge shots at congressional were very telling.  Tiger the world #1 would never have allowed that to happen - if he couldn't have hit the shot, for whatever reason, he wouldn't have. 

I don't think you can see Tiger's entire future in three misjudged or mishit wedge shots on one day.  Tiger is clearly nowhere near being competitive right now, but he wasn't competitive in 2010-2011 (21 events played, 4 top 10s, scandal, injury, WDs, etc.) and then in 2012-13 he won 8 times and was POY in '13.  Tiger could very well have won his last tournament, but he could also have another 8-10 wins 2017-18.

Just as an example of how skewed any opinion of Tiger is:  Tiger's 2012 season included 3 wins:  Bay Hill, Memorial, and the National.  His 2013 season included 5 wins:  Torrey, WGC-Cadillac, Bay Hill, Player's Championship, and the WGC-Bridgestone.  Those are all signature wins for just about any PGA Tour player.  Those two seasons are far from "Tiger" that we all love and hope to see, and they came after two years plagued by injuries, WDs, and scandal.  Let's compare it to the so-called Big-3:

Jason Day:  Tiger's 2012-13 is Jason Day's entire career minus one major (2015 PGA).

Jordan Speith:  Jordan has 8 wins in his career, spanning the last 3 years.  (2 are majors, obviously.)

Rory McIlroy:  Rory has never had 8 wins in a 2-season stretch.  Most he's had is 5 (twice) in 2011-2012 and 2014-2015.

Again, I have no idea whether Tiger's back is going to get better again.  There's no medical or scientific reason why a phenomenally fit 40-year old man can't fully recover from a microdiscetomy.  I feel pretty confident that the best way to ensure a full recovery is for Tiger to go very, very slow and commit to his rehab--a year should be more than enough.  If he does that--commit to rehab and give himself time to fully, completely heal--there is no reason why a healthy 41-year old legend shouldn't be able to surpass the accomplishments of a  partially hobbled and fully distracted 37-year old legend.  And that partially hobbled 37-year old was arguably better in 2012-2013 than your "Big-3" are now. 

I have a hard time accepting as fact that he'll never compete again.

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I also think its pretty silly to read into 100 yard wedge shots as the failing of a career. Despite whatever swing or health issues he has going on, Tiger is too much of a freakish talent to not be competitive at some point should he return to the Tour full time. The guy can win a tournament with fred couples back and your swing. 

Yes, this too.

• Upvote 3

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Yeah the wedge shots were bad and prolly humiliating for him, but I wouldn't say they caused him to never play again. I think they just showed that Tiger is still struggling with his game in a major way.

Nothing really surprised me at the PC, although it wasn't good when he said he plays and will still feel sore the next day. That's not good. I took away from it that we won't be seeing him again for a while. He'll be back and I'm hoping he can break Sam's record at least because I think it would be a shame if he didn't.

Edited by ChrisP

19 minutes ago, k-troop said:

I don't think you can see Tiger's entire future in three misjudged or mishit wedge shots on one day.  Tiger is clearly nowhere near being competitive right now, but he wasn't competitive in 2010-2011 (21 events played, 4 top 10s, scandal, injury, WDs, etc.) and then in 2012-13 he won 8 times and was POY in '13.  Tiger could very well have won his last tournament, but he could also have another 8-10 wins 2017-18.

Just as an example of how skewed any opinion of Tiger is:  Tiger's 2012 season included 3 wins:  Bay Hill, Memorial, and the National.  His 2013 season included 5 wins:  Torrey, WGC-Cadillac, Bay Hill, Player's Championship, and the WGC-Bridgestone.  Those are all signature wins for just about any PGA Tour player.  Those two seasons are far from "Tiger" that we all love and hope to see, and they came after two years plagued by injuries, WDs, and scandal.  Let's compare it to the so-called Big-3:

Jason Day:  Tiger's 2012-13 is Jason Day's entire career minus one major (2015 PGA).

Jordan Speith:  Jordan has 8 wins in his career, spanning the last 3 years.  (2 are majors, obviously.)

Rory McIlroy:  Rory has never had 8 wins in a 2-season stretch.  Most he's had is 5 (twice) in 2011-2012 and 2014-2015.

Again, I have no idea whether Tiger's back is going to get better again.  There's no medical or scientific reason why a phenomenally fit 40-year old man can't fully recover from a microdiscetomy.  I feel pretty confident that the best way to ensure a full recovery is for Tiger to go very, very slow and commit to his rehab--a year should be more than enough.  If he does that--commit to rehab and give himself time to fully, completely heal--there is no reason why a healthy 41-year old legend shouldn't be able to surpass the accomplishments of a  partially hobbled and fully distracted 37-year old legend.  And that partially hobbled 37-year old was arguably better in 2012-2013 than your "Big-3" are now. 

I have a hard time accepting as fact that he'll never compete again.

Yes, this too.

I also had/have a hard time accepting that - I *want* Tiger to come back.  I'm not an anti-Tiger guy taking pleasure in saying "he's done".  It's just my opinion - I don't see how "Tiger" goes out there and rinses 3 100 yard shots while joking around about his back.  The old "Tiger" would have cancelled the event for some vague reason, pissed everybody off . .but not hit those shots.  

So, it's not so much I'm reading into a 100 yard shot . .but 3 of them, the fact that he took them at all and his attitude and demeanor while taking them. 

But, obviously, I can't see the future any more than anybody else can.  If I'm wrong - I'll be glad I'm wrong. 

Looks like Tiger will most likely sit out the entire 2016. 

Good for him. I rather see him be more cautious than trying to come back too quick. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I fully agree with Tiger taking a full year off. 

I'm guessing maybe the Hero World Challenge he may play or perhaps an event in the fall portion of the season? Vegas, possibly? He would be smart to give it a full year from the third microdisectomy in 2 years. I think the tour guys especially the "Big Three" miss Tiger competing... 

Personally Jack's record is potentially out of reach, a healthy 41-year-old Tiger could break Snead's record... Just my $1.98.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

49 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Looks like Tiger will most likely sit out the entire 2016. 

Good for him. I rather see him be more cautious than trying to come back too quick. 

I was surprised he admitted he came back too quickly in the past talking to CBS during today's telecast (in his Sunday red), has he ever said that before? 

Steve

He can't afford to hurt himself and end up with another surgery.  I think there's some question if he'll ever come back but at least he's being smarter about it.  I know golf is important to him and he has some records within range of achieving but I'd hate to see him come back too quick and get hurt worse.  

At this point he needs to make his life after golf a higher priority.  I'd hate to see him wreck his back to the point that he lives his life in pain every day.  

Joe Paradiso

Inspiring little GOAT video set to Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel soundtrack.

• Upvote 1

Steve

He's being smart this time around, good move. I hope Tiger can make one more run at a major similar to Jack '86. I doubt he will compete consistently at an elite level again, but one more run for old time's sake. 

- Mark

The game has passed him by and he is effectively done. The tour is just too deep with talent these days. IF he were to have any shot at a major The Open Championship has gotta be he best option. He is too terrible off the tee for any other major. Also his lower ball flight now would help in the UK.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, atb5079 said:

The game has passed him by and he is effectively done. The tour is just too deep with talent these days. IF he were to have any shot at a major The Open Championship has gotta be he best option. He is too terrible off the tee for any other major. Also his lower ball flight now would help in the UK.

His lower ball flight?

He was 22nd in 2013: http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02407.2013.html .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

His lower ball flight?

He was 22nd in 2013: http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02407.2013.html .

Ok and he was 62nd in 2012 and 78th in 2007. He knows his driver is awful and has a great ability to hit that low stinger at The Open. Hell that was lots of what he was doing at CB last year.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball