IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

The two flubbed chips i guess are a concern if you're into the narrative that tiger has lost his nerve over those shots, but tight lies into the grain on bermuda?  Thats tough.  I didn't see all of the round yesterday, but Tiger still seemed like he was doing that thing where he aims left and saws the ball out right on a few irons. That isn't really good.. Nice round from him, though.  

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I didn't see all of the round yesterday, but Tiger still seemed like he was doing that thing where he aims left and saws the ball out right on a few irons. That isn't really good.. Nice round from him, though.  

I didn't see that. I saw the whole round.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

He did it with one approach shot on the par five on the back nine from the fairway. Maybe the 11th? I have a feeling he was playing for the wind and just fanned it. That was the only time I noticed it and I watched almost every shot he hit.

47 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

The two flubbed chips i guess are a concern if you're into the narrative that tiger has lost his nerve over those shots, but tight lies into the grain on bermuda?  Thats tough.  I didn't see all of the round yesterday, but Tiger still seemed like he was doing that thing where he aims left and saws the ball out right on a few irons. That isn't really good.. Nice round from him, though.  

Tiger wasn't the only one having that issue with the lies yesterday though.  I don't think it was a nerves issue as much as the bounce of the club just not getting a chance to work. I thought his drives looked great overall. He had a couple of off line drives but nowhere near as bad as I somewhat expected them to be. I agree...I thought he had a very nice round considering the situation

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think this is the only shot he did that all day:

I guess he did it here as well, but this isn't a gimme shot, given the wind and yardage:

Overall, I'd say pretty great round, although Tiger has often said to people he tends to play really well in the early going of a return of a long layoff. Then it's all downhill from there haha. Hopefully that's not the case this time around. 

I really don't feel like going thru this entire video to find their conversation on this, but it's close enough. Tiger does agree with Rory at some point during this round on this. 

Constantine

6 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

He did it with one approach shot on the par five on the back nine from the fairway. Maybe the 11th? I have a feeling he was playing for the wind and just fanned it. That was the only time I noticed it and I watched almost every shot he hit.

There was another big miss right with his iron that he aimed at left edge of green. The pin was tucked back left behind bunker and next to water. Like a lot of other guys he missed right of the green. But his was a bigger slice tho. This particular shot was on pro-tracer. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Left is dead on 11, and left on the par 3 that @phillyk said is water, so…yeah, he fans those for fear of pulling them a touch and getting into the shit. I don't see that as a swing flaw, though, maybe a lack of commitment and/or a bit of rust.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Left is dead on 11, and left on the par 3 that @phillyk said is water, so…yeah, he fans those for fear of pulling them a touch and getting into the shit. I don't see that as a swing flaw, though, maybe a lack of commitment and/or a bit of rust.

I don't think it was a swing flaw that he fanned those shots. I think that was a last minute "don't miss left" thought that popped into his head. The issue in question was more that he was aiming left with his body. He was doing that in 2015 or so quite a lot. My guess is he feels comfortable doing that and under pressure he reverts. I'm sure he'll work it out and it was only on those two shots it sounds like. I commented because I did notice it too. I'd rather he aimed it straighter and didn't try to hit a cut in that situation. Neither time did he hit a remotely good shot. He missed them both substantially to the right. Take 11. He was about 250 out I think, aiming it maybe 30 yards left of the green with his body and wound up missing 40+ yards short and right. It wasn't that windy. 40 yards right of the flag (and his target given the pin position should have been left of the flag) is a big miss for a world class player even from 250.

He had other left to right wind shots and didn't do it. 

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

I think that's the favorite stat of any troo Tiger fan....

So it seems like Tigs has some length back, no? I mean he blew it by Thomas several times, significantly.

The way he's going after the ball on his drives, I'm not surprised it's going a long way. LIke 5:08 in this video.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

We could analyze every shot of any other golfer in the field and find similar or equally weighty issues. He's the middle of the pack right now in a field with many of the best golfers the world has ever seen, I'd say he is doing just fine. 

Any predictions for today's round?

I'll say 67 as he will improve on the Par 5s. 

- Mark

Depending on the wind, but if the wind does not kick up too bad, I think 65 is in play for Tiger, given his poor scores on par 5's yesterday.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

The issue in question was more that he was aiming left with his body.

I don't think that's an issue at all. Why should he aim "straight" at the target? If he's trying to hit a fade, he should probably aim left. The ball has to start there, and he has to swing left, too.

I'd rather he aimed it straighter and didn't try to hit a cut in that situation. Neither time did he hit a remotely good shot.

He hit good shots from similar setups, too. The 2-iron was similar on an earlier hole, the first par five that he two-putted for birdie was similar IIRC. I'll watch a bit today, but… I think he's fine, and just bailed last minute to not miss left.

He was about 250 out I think, aiming it maybe 30 yards left of the green with his body and wound up missing 40+ yards short and right. It wasn't that windy. 40 yards right of the flag (and his target given the pin position should have been left of the flag) is a big miss for a world class player even from 250.

No… left of the flag is dead on 11.

I think Brandel even said that.

Left of the green maybe. The flag was cut tight to the right - you can see that at 8:11 on the videos linked above. Where he wound up he had no shot and hit his third about 50 feet.

In other news - great drive on 1 today. 67 all day baby. Awful shirt

Edited by Ty_Webb

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Where he wound up he had no shot and hit his third about 50 feet.

He had more of a shot from there than 50 feet. The 50 foot shot was an "I'm not gonna chunk this one." And from 250, "left half of the green" is not that far from "left of the green." C'mon…

I can't find the meme, but it wasn't long ago that everyone went dark when Woods said he might never play again. Such is the vicissitudes of life. 

The meme was a split graphic, one side saying I'll never play again. Then the other side, Tiger is hitting short game shots!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This is over a year old, but I thought this was pretty fun. Tiger club twirls compilation: 

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Like 1

Constantine