IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

Tiger's body is breaking down faster than he can fix it, it's likely the result of a life spent swinging golf clubs at maximum force.  I won't be shocked if 2016 is his last year on the PGA Tour, especially if it is anything like 2015.

Tiger is like an old George Foreman thinking about getting back in the ring with an in his prime Mike Tyson, he doesn't seem to have all the tools he needs to beat the young guns on tour.  At some point he's going to have to evaluate if playing sub par golf is worth the risk of damaging his body more.  We've seen guys hang on too long in other sports and it not only hurt their legacy but they paid the price physically as well.

I'd like to see him get a few more wins, but I think the quest for Jack's record is over.

I think you're right. I don't think that Jack's record of 18 major wins is in any sort of jeopardy, at least from Tiger. Tiger's performance in 2016 will tell us a lot about what his future may hold, and I'm not expecting a lot from him after he comes back next year. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

My bad guys, I was trying to move some posts and accidentally merged some posts together. So here's the last few posts in the Tiger/Davis Love thread.

@Kenny Lee posted.

tiger took an illegal drop. Should've been DQ'd.

He was given the opportunity to change his score on the hole AFTER he was caught cheating.

Exactly right..You summarized perfectly what I have been trying to find the words to say...thanks.

@iacas posted.

tiger took an illegal drop. Should've been DQ'd.

He was given the opportunity to change his score on the hole AFTER he was caught cheating.

I'm not sure why I bother, but…

• He should not have been DQed. He was given the appropriate penalty, which is two strokes.
  • He wasn't "cheating." He broke the Rules. There's a difference between "cheating" and "breaking the rules."
  • You might not know this, but I was the one who was first and largely responsible for the late-night phone call to Tiger, the early call-back Saturday morning, etc. because of what he said in his post-round interview. I called for his DQ. What I didn't know was that the committee had already ruled, and so, because of that, the right penalty was given.

But please, don't let simple facts get in the way of your narrative, @Kenny Lee or @Ping. Keep on keepin' on (with the Tiger hate). Don't let reason or facts stop ya!

:offtopic:

@jbishop15 posted.

On second thought and better yet… get back to the topic.

Fact- tiger signed an incorrect scorecard.

And I have no doubt that tiger know the rules, meaning the illegal drop was NOT an innocent mistake. 

He cheated. Got caught.

Please take all discussion of this incident and move it into the Tiger Carch-All thread, so that this thread doesn't become another Tiger commenter battleground.

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
(edited)

Fact- tiger signed an incorrect scorecard.

And I have no doubt that tiger know the rules, meaning the illegal drop was NOT an innocent mistake. 

He cheated. Got caught.

I agree that, generally speaking, he knows the rules.

So, given that, why on earth would he admit dropping in the wrong place (a yard or two, again not the 15 someone said)?

Edited by iacas

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree that, generally speaking, he knows the rules.

So, given that, why on earth would he admit dropping in the wrong place (a yard or two, again not the 15 someone said)?

Right, that doesn't make sense that he was trying to cheat.

Mike McLoughlin

Mike McLoughlin

(edited)

Oi. Not good. With nary any info to go on, most assuming the worst.

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 5.51.25 PM.png

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Woods usually keeps his cards close to his chest in interviews. This old one, he says a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw9iaKKrem0

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/10/30/roundup-tigers-back-procedure-sends-him-to-bed-for-rest.html

Jason Sobel, working off of the usual Friday afternoon TigerWoods.com report, says Tigerhas presented no timetable for a return after a back "procedure" by Charles Rich, the same doctor who performed the two prior (unsuccessful) surgeries. Apparently the definition of insanity apparently doesn't apply to surgery decisions.

Anyway, there was this oddball quote:

Woods, in a story on his website, said there remains no timetable for his return to competition.

"It's one of those things that had to be done," he said. "I have an outstanding team of doctors, and I'll be back as soon as I can."

Let's skip the doctor discussion for a moment and focus on the 2016 golf season, which sounds in doubt. 

Bob Harig wonders if this is the case and also questions the severity of the latest setback since Tiger is skipping a press conference next week to promote his Hero World Challenge. Even more telling, is passing up next week's opening of his Bluejack National redesign inHouston.

Dr. Charles Rich was quoted as saying that Woods was doing well and would make a full recovery, but Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, declined to comment further. What did the procedure entail? What is different about this recovery?

It can't be good that Woods will be unable to attend a scheduled media day for his Hero World Challenge event on Wednesday, nor the opening to a golf course he designed in Houston the following day. The release said he is on bed rest.

Mike McLoughlin

Bed rest???  Yikes!  If that's true, I think Tiger's playing days are over. 

I'm surprised he doesn't have an insurance like Anthony Kim.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Is this him basically giving up and saying he will take what ever he takes, but not to expect much?

The body has given up, but can we say that the mind has now as well?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

@Yukari, unless that insurance paid him a minimum of 8 zeroes there is no financial logic.  I mean he is worth like close to a billion dollars.  Would 25 million like AK gets really matter.

@Abu3baid, I would guess that is him preparing his fans for the fact that realistically his body is not going to allow him to compete at anything close to his best.  If the game was only mental, Tiger would actually have a realistic shot of passing Jack's 18 majors, but physically he looks about spent.  I could see him working his tail off and coming back in 2017, and possibly even winning one more major, but Jack can rest assured his record is safe for now and at best he will be another decent contender for titles, not a colossus like he was before.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

True he has enough $$$ to forgo any insurance. 

It's bummer. Seems he is done. I said as much all last year but was hoping I was wrong. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

4 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

Is this him basically giving up and saying he will take what ever he takes, but not to expect much?

The body has given up, but can we say that the mind has now as well?

I don't think it's him giving up.  I see it more as he is finally accepting his limits.  He is not the same golfer after injuring himself.  He can start working on a game/swing he can use.  I look at Furyk and can see that he knows his limits and plays it, and he remains competitive.  If Woods can find that zone where he is comfortable and hurt-free, we might see a few more wins.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

21 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I don't think it's him giving up.  I see it more as he is finally accepting his limits.  He is not the same golfer after injuring himself.  He can start working on a game/swing he can use.  I look at Furyk and can see that he knows his limits and plays it, and he remains competitive.  If Woods can find that zone where he is comfortable and hurt-free, we might see a few more wins.

I don't know. To have three surgeries in the same spot. 

http://spineline.net/tiger-woods-a-peek-into-his-disc-dilemma/

Only 81% return to their sports, and most have significant performance drop off. In the end the most common procedure for people who have multiple surgeries like this is to fuse the spine.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: