IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Chamblee is like a heroin addict with regards to commenting on Tiger's swing. He has to do it. But for addicts, it is a medical condition. Chamblee doesn't have that excuse.

Chamblee is a bit lost without Tiger around to bash, so he has to take his shots when he can.  I guess he'll just pick on Rory for "being" like Tiger when there's nothing to pick on Tiger about.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Chamblee is like a heroin addict with regards to commenting on Tiger's swing. He has to do it. But for addicts, it is a medical condition. Chamblee doesn't have that excuse.

A brain injury isn't a medical condition? :ninja:

Colin P.

Haney on Woods:

That’s when Haney interjected: “I don’t know if he’s hitting balls now. He hit a ball. We know that. That was one nine-iron. I don’t know if he’s practicing. I would doubt it. But it didn’t look to me like he was moving very well. Now, I wouldn’t expect him to. I’m just analyzing what I saw. His hips looked like they were pretty locked up and his arm went across his chest which is kind of what you see when somebody is a little hesitant to turn. He had a free turn through the ball which was good. That’s a little bit easier because you release your back foot when you do that and it’s easier for you to get through it. But I don’t take that as being much to be honest with you. It’s a long way from practicing. And it’s not just the hitting balls. You’ve got to stand over putts, bent over and putt for hours upon hours, and you’ve got to be able to play day after day after day. It’s one thing to hit a few balls and just maybe play one day. Now you’ve got to play day after day after day after day, and really week after week because you’re not going to accomplish much going and playing one tournament. You need to play a few back to back. And, like you said, a nine-iron, a soft nine-iron, 140-150 yard nine-iron for somebody who is as powerful as he is not much of a nine-iron. And that’s a long way from a big drive. So I’m not anticipating that means he’s anywhere close to practicing or coming back. But I will say this, I mean, it is a great sign, isn’t it?”

http://golfweek.com/news/2016/feb/26/pga-tour-haney-tiger-swing-video/

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

WTF is Haney commenting on Tiger's practice?  I mean, clearly HH saw one swing--the same swing we all saw--and now he's got enough information to comment on it for what, 300 words?  I can see if someone asks him a question and he feels the need to respond, but he could just say "There's not much you can get from watching one 9-iron swing.  Hopefully this is a good sign for Tiger and I wish him the best in is recovery."  Or something like that.

I was a big defender of Haney's right to write in the "Big Miss" thread, but this is kinda ridiculous.  C'mon Hank--you haven't been Tiger's coach in like 5 years.  You don't know squat, so you shouldn't say squat. 

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

46 minutes ago, k-troop said:

WTF is Haney commenting on Tiger's practice?  I mean, clearly HH saw one swing--the same swing we all saw--and now he's got enough information to comment on it for what, 300 words?  I can see if someone asks him a question and he feels the need to respond, but he could just say "There's not much you can get from watching one 9-iron swing.  Hopefully this is a good sign for Tiger and I wish him the best in is recovery."  Or something like that.

I was a big defender of Haney's right to write in the "Big Miss" thread, but this is kinda ridiculous.  C'mon Hank--you haven't been Tiger's coach in like 5 years.  You don't know squat, so you shouldn't say squat. 

300 words doesn't seem like that much - given the opportunity TST can add 6 or 7 pages to this thread based on one swing.

Players play, tough players win!

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-reportedly-taking-driver-swings

There might be more where that 9-iron came from.

Earlier this week, Tiger Woods posted a video of himself taking a cut in an indoor swing simulator with a 9-iron in response to rumors that he had suffered a setback in his ongoing recovery from multiple back procedures. It was the first public sign that the 14-time major champion was able to work on his game.

Woods apparently hasn't stopped at short irons. According Golf Channel's Tim Rosaforte, Woods was hitting drivers at the end of last week.

"Apparently, Tiger Woods is further along in his recovery than we were led to believe," Rosaforte said. "I was told by a trusted source this afternoon that Woods was actually hitting drivers. Not full speed, but that he was hitting drivers."

NEWSLETTERS: Sign up for latest golf news, tips and insider analysis

Woods' manager Mark Steinberg said on Wednesday that Woods had worked his way up from chipping and putting to a 9-iron.

The following day, Woods' close friend Notah Begay weighed in, saying that Woods was "doing a great job staying patient" with his recovery.

That's a good to hear.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

15 hours ago, boogielicious said:

For some types of addiction, it is mental, and Chamblee does have that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'm going to give Chamblee some slack. In this 24/7 news cycle world and in golf of all things, it's hard to keep people interested and watching. Really hard. Probably the only way to keep eyeballs on you is to rile people up.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 2/26/2016 at 11:18 AM, nevets88 said:

OK, so there are rumors that Tiger is barely mobile, cannot even sit, is practically disabled.  He posts this swing video.  Does anyone claim that he is getting ready to compete?   No, it is merely to show that the reports of his physical demise are exaggerated.  

But Haney analyzes it as an actual golf swing, not as an example of where he is physically.  

This is like the dancing bear syndrome.  It is not that the bear dances WELL, it is that he dances AT ALL.  THAT was the point of the video.  

But hey, it gave Haney yet another chance to get his name in print on the back of Tiger so I guess it is good thing.  Even if completely irrelevant to any question anyone has asked about Tiger's current status.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Haney spends a lot of time on his radio show talking about Woods.  He still acts like he's Tiger's swing coach as he talks about Tiger as though he has more insight to what he'd doing than we do.  

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Haney spends a lot of time on his radio show talking about Woods.  He still acts like he's Tiger's swing coach as he talks about Tiger as though he has more insight to what he'd doing than we do.  

Of course Haney would have more insight on Tiger's swing than we would...probably a lot more insight! Just because he's not Tiger's coach anymore doesn't mean he doesn't have an educated opinion on the subject. What's your beef with Haney? He may be a jerk, but he knows more about the golf swing than anyone here. Am I wrong?

36 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Of course Haney would have more insight on Tiger's swing than we would...probably a lot more insight! Just because he's not Tiger's coach anymore doesn't mean he doesn't have an educated opinion on the subject. What's your beef with Haney? He may be a jerk, but he knows more about the golf swing than anyone here. Am I wrong?

I think you could find many posters on this site, both instructors and not, that know more about the mechanics of the golf swing than Hank Haney; or, at the very, very least, we know more than he did when he was Tiger's coach. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

1 minute ago, jbishop15 said:

I think you could find many posters on this site, both instructors and not, that know more about the mechanics of the golf swing than Hank Haney; or, at the very, very least, we know more than he did when he was Tiger's coach. 

One of the reasons our country is so great is that we're all free to express our opinions. You've expressed yours. I respectfully think you're mistaken, IMHO.

I think we can agree, though, that there are instructors on this site who wish they made a tenth of what Haney makes every year. 

13 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

One of the reasons our country is so great is that we're all free to express our opinions. You've expressed yours. I respectfully think you're mistaken, IMHO.

I think we can agree, though, that there are instructors on this site who wish they made a tenth of what Haney makes every year. 

We're not discussing income.  How much money Haney made or has is not relevant to what he currently knows about Tigers golf swing or golf swing fundamentals overall.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

54 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

He might or he might not. 

I think there are many more people on this forum who know more about the golf swing than Hank. Look at what happened after Tiger left Hank. His career has divebombed enough where he's doing 1990's type infomercials. I could easily say that Hanks popularity is primarily due to the fact Tiger hired him rather than his ability to teach a golf swing. 

13 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

What does making money have to do anything about it? Money doesn't equal competence. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

58 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I know the golf swing better than Hank Haney-And I could name other people on the site who do too.

Even @cedrictheo makes my list.-Not a slam at all on @cedrictheo either.

• Upvote 2

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

28 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I've heard from both primary sources involved with the Tour and it's players, and secondary sources from other instructors, journalists, and the like that speak to Haney's poor knowledge of the golf swing. 

There are many examples of him being wrong about the golf swing, including something as easily verifiable as the ball flight laws. Perhaps Haney's ideas on swing plane are correct; I don't think so, but let's just say they are. If an instructor with his pedigree doesn't know the ball starts by the face (more or less) and curves because of path (more or less), then he isn't a very good instructor. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

1 minute ago, Phil McGleno said:

I know the golf swing better than Hank Haney-And I could name other people on the site who do too.

Even @cedrictheo makes my list.-Not a slam at all on @cedrictheo either.

Hey, I'm no fan of Hank Haney, but the guy must have something on the ball for Tiger Woods to have kept him as his swing coach for 6 years. Once he and TW went their separate ways, Haney didn't all of a sudden forget everything he knew. Is that your contention?