IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Awesome! I didn't get to watch, but I'm happy with the outcome just the same. So close! I didn't check: did anyone else have her closer? Do I win the bragging rights? ;-)

I've got some lint in my pockets, I could send it your way... Lol :-P

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Michelle seems like a nice young woman - it's good for the sport & I'm glad she didn't choke coming down the wire.    I think she gets a bad wrap based on her early years & all the expectations placed on her.    She's done with college now, and her (incredibly attractive) putting style apparently works for her .... looking for big things forthcoming (heck, she's only 24 I think)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Great win. I just love her swing. Power, tempo, the stinger. My favorite swing out of all the women.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Ugh Wie won. Lame as hell. Do not like her one bit. But great for LPGA and US women's golf

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Ugh Wie won. Lame as hell. Do not like her one bit. But great for LPGA and US women's golf

Is there a reason why?

Is there a reason why?

Never liked her attitude. She has always given off an entitled feel. She didnt live up to her hype for a long time and her attitude regarding it bothered me.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I doubt if I'll ever be a Wie fan. Just can't ever bring myself to root for her. Just not my sort of girl is all I can figure because no other reason I can think of holds any water. Sort of strange that I feel that way because she plays the kind of game I like to watch (except for the putting style). Don't really root against her but not for her either, meh. Good for women's golf though because she still has a lot of years to be every bit of the superstar we all figured she would be.

Never liked her attitude. She has always given off an entitled feel. She didnt live up to her hype for a long time and her attitude regarding it bothered me.

Not sure I follow this.  Obviously, it's an opinion, so I can't argue with it, but it seems a bit unfair to me to judge somebody for not living up to the ridiculous expectations set on her by somebody else.

Speaking of the hype, if think it's beyond unfair to say she didn't live up to anything (using the past tense).

I learned today that Wie is the same age that Annika Sorenstam was when she won her first US Open, which also happened to be her first major.  Wie has a looooooooong career ahead of her and we need to wait several years before we make any judgments on how it turns out.

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Congratulations to Michelle Wie for her first major win.

Wooo! I called it:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/thrash_talk/2014_united_states_open_staff_preview:
I'm picking Michelle Wie to win her first major at Pinehurst. She's high in GIR and scoring, and keeps finishing in the top 16 week after week. Her length will be an advantage, even if it just means she can hit stinger 3-woods all week and leave herself short irons that she can control into the greens.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I learned today that Wie is the same age that Annika Sorenstam was when she won her first US Open, which also happened to be her first major.  Wie has a looooooooong career ahead of her and we need to wait several years before we make any judgments on how it turns out.

Yeah, no kidding…

I do not blame anyone for failing to live up to someone else's expectations.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by atb5079

Not sure I follow this.  Obviously, it's an opinion, so I can't argue with it, but it seems a bit unfair to me to judge somebody for not living up to the ridiculous expectations set on her by somebody else.

Speaking of the hype, if think it's beyond unfair to say she didn't live up to anything (using the past tense).

Exactly...well said. Haters gonna hate...

I hope she's in contention every tournament that she's in . . . what a woman. And only 24!

Sort of strange that I feel that way because she plays the kind of game I like to watch (except for the putting style).

My back hurts just watching it. If she fell over in a gust of wind, she'd probably impale her stomach as well.

I I believe I believe that I believe that Wie I believe that Wie will win I believe that Wie will win I believe that Wie will win

Perfect.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Maybe I don't like it because I can't do it. ;-) The first time I saw her do it I was trying to describe it to my wife so I grabbed a club to demonstrate. I had no idea that I wouldn't be able to do it but there was no way I could keep my back that flat. I looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame trying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

My back hurts just watching it. If she fell over in a gust of wind, she'd probably impale her stomach as well.

Maybe I don't like it because I can't do it. ;-) The first time I saw her do it I was trying to describe it to my wife so I grabbed a club to demonstrate. I had no idea that I wouldn't be able to do it but there was no way I could keep my back that flat. I looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame trying it.

It is impressive, I will admit. Her back was probably flatter than most of the greens at Pinehurst this week.

I felt the same way for a bit, I think she's eaten enough crow over the years though. I'm a big fan now.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I don't get this. I get not liking the hype from when she was 16 but that's on the media not her. She seems like a nice person, humble and polite. Really, what's not to like?

I don't get this. I get not liking the hype from when she was 16 but that's on the media not her. She seems like a nice person, humble and polite. Really, what's not to like?

I'll never understand it either

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Yeah I don't even know what the "attitude" is that people are talking about.  She seems very humble to me for the most part as well.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Note: This thread is 3206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!