IGNORED

Tobacco products on golf course

whatwoodtigerdo
Note: This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont think it should be banned as long as the smokers are curious about their habit. Meaning, don't drop butts all over the fairway and ashes on the greens but also don't light up before asking your partners if that's ok. I think if you asked anybody they would say go ahead, although personally i would ask them not to smoke whilst standing on the tee right next to me etc. They can do what they want but i don't want to have to inhale their toxic carcinogenic fumes.

Henry

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gotta love a democratic system- allows 51% of the population to take away the rights of the 49% every time.

What right do you have to inflict your smoke upon others?

How is it undemocratic to expect people to respect others?

And I would be surprised if 49% of golfers smoke whilst playing.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I enjoy a fine cigar on each 9. The only exception is if I am paired with a non-smoker during tournament play.

In my normal group, the cigar smokers ride together and the non-smokers ride together.

Banning it would not be good for business, but these are the same extremists that are trying to ban e-cigarettes everywhere too (which have no known health effects as far as second hand smoke and have no smell that would irritate a rational person)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I enjoy a fine cigar on each 9. The only exception is if I am paired with a non-smoker during tournament play.

In my normal group, the cigar smokers ride together and the non-smokers ride together.

Banning it would not be good for business, but these are the same extremists that are trying to ban e-cigarettes everywhere too (which have no known health effects as far as second hand smoke and have no smell that would irritate a rational person)

The number of smokers I encounter on the golf course over my golfing life, maybe about 5 people. Just never see that many golfers who smoke.

I don't mind e-cigarettes, but I do mind regular cigarettes. If your actions have clear and proven harm to another person, then that needs to be considered to be banned. I am not saying banning in private property. I don't care if you want to destroy the retail value of your own home by causing to smell like cigarette smoke. There is NO REASON for a person to smoke in public!!! I don't mind if you find a private place to smoke with buddies, all fine. In public, around other people, there is NO REASON to smoke than for the own selfish addiction a person has.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The number of smokers I encounter on the golf course over my golfing life, maybe about 5 people. Just never see that many golfers who smoke.

I don't mind e-cigarettes, but I do mind regular cigarettes. If your actions have clear and proven harm to another person, then that needs to be considered to be banned. I am not saying banning in private property. I don't care if you want to destroy the retail value of your own home by causing to smell like cigarette smoke. There is NO REASON for a person to smoke in public!!! I don't mind if you find a private place to smoke with buddies, all fine. In public, around other people, there is NO REASON to smoke than for the own selfish addiction a person has.

You and I must live in different worlds when it comes to golfing rofl, and not only in scores. Smoking has always been pretty widespread and common for as long as I've been golfing. It may well have to do with those who you golf with though. I've always golfed with my friends and family, most of which smoke. I grew up around it so it's tolerable to me, even though I don't do it myself. Most people I know would be respectful and not share a cart or smoke around a person that didn't like it though. I can also guarantee that everyone I know who smokes would give up golfing if they couldn't do it on the course. I don't know of any non-smokers who will quit because there is smoking allowed on the course, since that's the current state. So, lose golfers by banning it, or lose none by not banning it... Pretty simple.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

That number is almost too low to be believable (unless you have not played for long)

I will agree that I see very little cigarette smoking on the course unless I am playing a lower end public course - I see one or possibly 2 guys every saturday morning that smoke cigarettes at my club.

Cigars, on the other hand are prevalent. There are the regular cigar smokers and then those that golf 2-3 times a year - I guess it is their day to break out all of their bad habits

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

That number is almost too low to be believable (unless you have not played for long)

I will agree that I see very little cigarette smoking on the course unless I am playing a lower end public course - I see one or possibly 2 guys every saturday morning that smoke cigarettes at my club.

Cigars, on the other hand are prevalent. There are the regular cigar smokers and then those that golf 2-3 times a year - I guess it is their day to break out all of their bad habits

For nearly 18 years now.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I could care less about anybody smoking on the course in the great outdoors. I just don't understand why people have to throw cigarette butts on the greens.

Just dropping back to the dippers out there... this seems to be pertinent to the topic.  This piece from Drew Soicher, a Denver sportscaster:

Quote:

KUSA - I'm hoping Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn can hit .300 one more time. Perhaps Gwynn's death will inspire at least 30 percent of baseball players to quit chewing smokeless tobacco.

I'm not talking about major leaguers. The number of prep and college players who chew is staggering. Although tobacco is banned by high-school athletic associations in every state and also by the NCAA, it's remarkable how many players still dip. The rule is only casually enforced. In fact, I've seen a high school umpire reach for a tin between innings.

I think most ball players who chew do it because they think it looks cool. It doesn't. That disgusting juice dripping down your chin doesn't look cool. Gwynn's deformed mouth following surgery to remove a malignant tumor didn't look cool at all. And neither will Tony's casket when he's laid to rest later this week.

Gwynn died at the age of 54 on Monday, following a long battle with salivary gland cancer. He frequently attributed his disease to tobacco use throughout his career and tried to educate kids about the dangers of dipping.

Nobody was listening. Maybe some will now.

An eight-time batting champion and one of the greatest teammates of all-time just died at an early age as a direct result of chewing tobacco on a baseball field. If that doesn't scare the dip out of you, nothing will.

Gwynn batted .300 or better in 19 of his 20 big league seasons. He threatened .400 a couple of times, but never quite made it. Maybe this time he will.

I have never understood the mindset of the guy that can go on about cigarettes and lung cancer, then calmly stuff a wad in his mouth and believe that he's safe because he doesn't smoke.  There are also studies which indicate that chewing tobacco is actually more addictive than smoking tobacco.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I have no issues with people smoking in public outdoor places. Indoor? I get and LOVE that ban. But outdoors, there's enough open air that you're not killing someone else with your secondhand smoke.

Just don't throw your butts everywhere, and be considerate.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I would like to see courses ban smoking in their carts. Nothing worse than a lot of burn holes in the seats. I'd still allow smoking on the course though - just not in the carts. Then a non-smoker riding with a smoker wouldn't be bothered. This is no different than many companies banning smoking in their company vehicles.

I would support the ban. I'd leave it to the course to worry about a potential ban's economic impact.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Just dropping back to the dippers out there... this seems to be pertinent to the topic.  This piece from Drew Soicher, a Denver sportscaster:

I have never understood the mindset of the guy that can go on about cigarettes and lung cancer, then calmly stuff a wad in his mouth and believe that he's safe because he doesn't smoke.  There are also studies which indicate that chewing tobacco is actually more addictive than smoking tobacco.

Yeah one of my college buddies switched to chew, I guess it seemed less offensive or disgusting at the time.  He had a scare and went to see a doctor about a bump in his mouth but it wasn't cancer.  Anyway, I don't actually care if people smoke as long as they don't kill me with their habit.  Natural selection and all...

1) Don't leave your cigarette butts or cigar stubs on the green/fringe.  Better yet, collect them (just put them in your dirty ass cart) and dispose of them properly.

2) Don't spit tobacco juice on the green.

3) Cigar smokers--don't ash on the greens.  They can make huge ash piles.  Or take note of the ash and clear it away.

And while we are at it:

4) The worst offenders are people who chew sunflower seeds.  You disgusting ****, don't spit those on the green.

"Witty golf quote."

What a great picture.

And Hogan died from cancer.  Go figure.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!