IGNORED

My Experience Caddying in a Monday Qualifier

mvmac

Note: This thread is 1633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Very interesting read, Mvmac. Thanks.

Just the sort of reality check that people don't want to believe because Ian Poulter played off 4 at some point as if that means something.

It's intriguing how Dan McLaughlin is going to be able to bypass all this stuff and just walk onto the tour in a couple of years. B-)

Well Mike, reading your commentaries is kind of like hearing you say the same things during my lessons again. One of these days they'll sink in too! ;-) Thanks for sharing this experience with us. @Shorty , I was thinking the same thing about Dan when I read 64 to make the playoff.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great stuff Mike! Thanks! So did you stick around and watch the playoff? I've heard of these types of playoffs in qualifiers and always wondered how different the strategy is versus a playoff for a title. No need to win, just don't be last. Also, is that Padraig Harrington in the playoff?

Just the sort of reality check that people don't want to believe because Ian Poulter played off 4 at some point as if that means something.

It's intriguing how Dan McLaughlin is going to be able to bypass all this stuff and just walk onto the tour in a couple of years.

He is, didn't you hear Dan has a higher smash factor and swing speed with his 7 iron than the average touring pro,

http://thesandtrap.com/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post

Awesome post Mike... Seems like it was a fun time.

It was, cool experience for sure. Matt is an easy going guy so we got along great.

Matt did the math, he said we walked 10 miles and up about 70 flights of stairs during the round. Almost every hole seemed like it was uphill :cry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

It's intriguing how Dan McLaughlin is going to be able to bypass all this stuff and just walk onto the tour in a couple of years. B-)

So many good players out there it's ridiculous and they are playing all over the world. Lots of talented players in Europe, Asia, Latin America, Canadian Tour. I lived in Canada for 3 years and went to a Canadian Tour event. The guy that won shot -21 for four rounds and won by one shot.

To put it in perspective, Matt plays to a +4-5 handicap when he's at home.

Just added this bit to the first post,

Quote:

The course was playing about 6800 yards and two of the par 5's were shortened to 460/470 yard par 4's. Even though the medalist shot 62 and there was a playoff for the guys that shot 64, Dragon Ridge isn't an "easy" course. The greens are relatively small, lots of slope to the greens, lots of elevation changes, rough was thick, target golf layout and a decent amount of the pins were three or four paces off the edge of the greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Great stuff Mike! Thanks! So did you stick around and watch the playoff? I've heard of these types of playoffs in qualifiers and always wondered how different the strategy is versus a playoff for a title. No need to win, just don't be last.

Also, is that Padraig Harrington in the playoff?

I saw the guys tee off in the playoff but took off after that. I didn't feel like walking anymore holes ;-)

It was Scott Harrington, not Padraig.

Thanks @mvmac . Looks like Synder was accommodating in using what looks like a carry bag rather than the heavier staff bag. Did you use Aimpoint Express or Midpoint for the reads? Did you both take slope measurements or just one of you? It's interesting seeing how player caddie interaction evolves with Aimpoint in the mix. I get a lot of you look funny/silly since using AE. Bah, I don't think so. Plumb bobbing looks funny too but no one makes fun of it because it's been out there for so long. No, I'm not giving you the finger thank you.

Mike.  Were you taking photos while on the bag?  Who's taking pix of you?

I have found that playing golf, and caddying, are very focused activities and incompatible with photo taking.  But i'm old and not too swift.

A good read, and nice photos.  Thnx

Thanks @mvmac. Looks like Synder was accommodating in using what looks like a carry bag rather than the heavier staff bag.

Did you use Aimpoint Express or Midpoint for the reads? Did you both take slope measurements or just one of you? It's interesting seeing how player caddie interaction evolves with Aimpoint in the mix.

I think Matt's got a staff bag on the way but most mini tour guys use carry bags, saw the same kind of thing at the Long Beach Open the last couple years.

Did you use Aimpoint Express or Midpoint for the reads? Did you both take slope measurements or just one of you? It's interesting seeing how player caddie interaction evolves with Aimpoint in the mix.

We used both but most of the time we went with Midpoint reads.

Mike.  Were you taking photos while on the bag?  Who's taking pix of you?

I have found that playing golf, and caddying, are very focused activities and incompatible with photo taking.  But i'm old and not too swift.

His instructor Mario took the pics of me, he likes to keep his distance, that's why the shots are from so far away. The videos and other pics are ones I took. I don't think Matt even noticed (I showed him after), I just used my phone which doesn't make any noise. I even Instagrammed a pic during the round.

How much do you win if you qualify? Does qualifying count towards your ranking? If the qualifier fee is $200, I can only imagine the fee if you qualify for the PGA Tour event.

Thanks for the insight into the pre-qualifier... and the slogan "These guys are good" really means those guys are good. Shooting in the 60's just to qualify. Man, I can't imagine that... but then again, I can't imagine breaking 100.

Did you wear golf shoes for the walking or tennis shoes? And if they were golf shoes, were they soft spikes or spikeless?

Note: This thread is 1633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!