IGNORED

Do Not Use a Heavy Club or Weighted Donuts

iacas
Note: This thread is 3206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tend to use my swing ring every few months and in 99% of cases it's because I'm playing an important round and my "feel" of the clubhead is out. It let's me get a better idea on where the clubhead is during backswing and transition so I can improve my rhythm a bit more over a few swings. I don't use it at all for training, speeding up my swing, slowing down my swing etc; only for improved rhythm and only when it's out for some reason.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• Administrator
Didn't hurt Frank Thomas.

You can't know that. Maybe it did. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Question, possibly off topic, but close enough to throw in here. I have one of these Would this be detrimental (it's weighted obviously) if I'm using it to do ultra slomo swings? It's the only thing I can swing in the house, I'm too tall.

Colin P.

FWIW, I found swinging anything in the house is detrimental even in front of the mirror. I tend to get myself out of position because I'm worried about hitting something like a piece of furniture. So when I go to the driving range I line up too close to the ball or do something else wrong, and it takes at least a dozen or more shanks before I get my position right again, so I don't do anything at home anymore. I found it did more harm than good. Better to work it out at the range with a mirror.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Question, possibly off topic, but close enough to throw in here. I have one of these

Would this be detrimental (it's weighted obviously) if I'm using it to do ultra slomo swings? It's the only thing I can swing in the house, I'm too tall.

I have one of those. I find that for me it:

- Weakens my grip from what I normally play.
- Creates an unnecessary closing of the "face" due to the bend in the bar.
- Creates an incorrect rhythm for me.
- Can't feel any type of pressure point in the right index finger when swinging it.
- Isn't the correct weight for a wedge, an iron or a wood (both with and without the weight in the end)

It currently gathers dust as it's "purpose" right now. ;)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Thanks for posting @iacas .  I do have a couple of club weights (I have reviewed them in the equipment section).  I have been using them less frequently and tend to only use them for rotational stretching only and not swinging as I would at a ball.

I think I'll start a thread in the Fitness Section for people to post their warm up routines (apart from hitting balls).  I wonder if I could recruit you and @mvmac to post your warm up routines.

One more thing.  Would this apply to the Orange Whip too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

I'd say probably. I've never hand any desire to use it as a swing trainer, just a stretching tool. Like @DrvFrShow says, it doesn't feel like a real club and I find it's hard to swing it exactly like a real club anyway.

If it does extend to the orange whip that basically screws up my back up plan for winter swing training. I was hoping it would help me "kick the flip".... I guess back to the drawing board.

This is my concern. I've been looking into getting one this winter, but I suppose I'll have to rely on the net.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

This is a good find...

I played baseball at a high level and never liked using doughnuts on my bat while in the on deck circle.  Similar to what the article has explained, I would always feel like my swing was "off' or "weird" after taking several big hacks with the doughnut on so I always figured it would be best to take those swings normally with my bat and stretch out prior to entering the batters box.

That being the case, in golf I've never attempted to use any weighted objects.  1, because I am already happy with my swing speed and 2, being how complex the golf swing is, I don't want anything to interfere with it prior to a round; especially, trying to swing a heavy club of some sort that could easily throw my mechanics off.

If people want to find speed in their swing, they are better off doing gym work like plyometrics / core exercises using medicine balls, etc.  Or if the objective is to just warm up prior to the round, instead of using a weighted club, spend the 20 minutes you would air swinging the weighted club in stretching.  Most people have never "really" properly stretched and when you actually to properly stretch, you really feel loose which (of course) helps with freedom in the swing.

BINGO!!!!!! Your spot on!

Over the 40 years I've played I've had stretches where I was a serious gym-rat always working primarily on aerobic and core exercises because that's what my body type requires to stay trim, strong, and flexible for golf. Every time I was in one of my gym-rat modes I always gained distance,,,always! When I'd get lazy and take 6 months to a year off my mid section would start to grow, and I would start to lose flexibility, strength and of course distance.

I do have a weighted club I bought a few years back but never really liked swinging it at full speed. I'll only use it occasionally now swinging a slow-motion drill but I think the work I do in the gym with medicine balls and dumbbells is much more effective along with an extensive stretching routine.

I'm 49 years old now and if there is one thing that "for me" is a big key is stretching prior to a workout or a round of golf. I go through an entire stretching routine before I hit a golf ball that doesn't include holding or using a golf club.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Before I leave the house for the course, I do 3 sets of 100 crunches to loosen up my back. I always stretch for several minutes before the round as well. Advil helps too. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I read a Tom Watson trick once.  Turn the club upside down and swing that to warm up.  Then your regular club has greater feel.

Meaning flipped over toe down or grip the end with the clubhead?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Before I leave the house for the course, I do 3 sets of 100 crunches to loosen up my back. I always stretch for several minutes before the round as well. Advil helps too.

I'm not too sure if sit-ups are the best thing you should be doing to loosen up your back .....

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I wonder if the results apply to slow motion work with a weighted club to reinforce technique. Every time I've seen someone using a weighted club, they were swinging slowly and trying to create muscle memory.

My question as well. Swing changes with a weighted club to reinforce technique, muscle memory, etc.

Matt - "I am very happy to be here!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzel

I wonder if the results apply to slow motion work with a weighted club to reinforce technique. Every time I've seen someone using a weighted club, they were swinging slowly and trying to create muscle memory.

My question as well. Swing changes with a weighted club to reinforce technique, muscle memory, etc.

I think that's ok. I find weighted clubs are particularly helpful for transition pieces, using slow movements or mapping. Where it gets to be an issue is when you're trying to make a full speed swing with a heavy club your body is going to put the breaks on so you don't injure yourself. Do this enough and you'll train the body to always put the breaks on.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Meaning flipped over toe down or grip the end with the clubhead?

Grip the clubhead end.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Question, possibly off topic, but close enough to throw in here. I have one of these

Would this be detrimental (it's weighted obviously) if I'm using it to do ultra slomo swings? It's the only thing I can swing in the house, I'm too tall.

That's like the one I have but with a different head on it (mine has a solid weighted driver head).

To reiterate: this is a weightlifting device , not really a scientific swing trainer.  Treat it as such.  If you spend off-days swinging it with maximum effort, you will build muscle in your forearms, back, wrists, etc, all of which could help you on the course.

The question becomes one of whether building muscle in these specific areas will help your golf game.  Some people think weightlifting will screw up their swing.  Some people think a little bit of it is good for your swing.  If you think bigger muscles can help, why not use a weighted club to build swing muscles just like you would use a barbell to build biceps and pectorals?

That's like the one I have but with a different head on it (mine has a solid weighted driver head). To reiterate: this is a weightlifting device , not really a scientific swing trainer.  Treat it as such.  If you spend off-days swinging it with maximum effort, you will build muscle in your forearms, back, wrists, etc, all of which could help you on the course. The question becomes one of whether building muscle in these specific areas will help your golf game.  Some people think weightlifting will screw up their swing.  Some people think a little bit of it is good for your swing.  If you think bigger muscles can help, why not use a weighted club to build swing muscles just like you would use a barbell to build biceps and pectorals?

To reiterate the original study that was done by "Sports Science", the problem with trying to build muscle or increase clubhead speed by swinging a heavier bat/club is that the heavier bat/club does not strengthen your fast twitch muscle tissue which is the muscle tissue primarily used for a baseball/golf swing.

Note: This thread is 3206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!