IGNORED

Are you a picker or a digger

disco111
Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a picker or a digger?

• Picker
    • Digger
    • Neither/Both/Other

I am a picker.  Don't know why I just always been.  Kind of nice to take your normal swing in a fairway bunker.

I still take a "divot" in a fairway bunker.  I just play the ball slightly farther back in my stance to ensure that I contact the ball first. :-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Playing in hardpan Texas had me spoiled until I played on the east coast. I quickly learned to be more of a picker because of the plush fairways and much taller trees on the east coast.

I try to get my son to just shave the grass. Usually, with wedges we both take beaver pelts. It used to be that I would take a "Welcome Mat"sometimes. After a wrist injury a few years ago, I try to pick it clean or just trim the grass. Jack

Jack

I was a picker in my early golf years but now I take nice thin dollar bill divots.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• 2 years later...

I just started playing again about a month ago, after a 20 yr absence. (And I wasn't very good back then, and only played occasionally.) I've been playing our local par 3 course 3-4 times per week the last month, and have gotten my swing down pretty well and usually have pretty good ball control. But I am definitely a picker, and have no interest in becoming a digger. I just don't care for the feeling of striking the ground deep enough to pull up Earth. My goal is always to do nothing more than take out a few tall blades of grass. I have read all the arguments that support digging, and I just don't care for it. And I'm just trying to have fun and get regular exercise, so as long as I have decent distance and control, I'm okay with being a picker.

I am a picker. One of those thin to win kind of guys. In fact one of my favorite cooler months practices take place on a dry lake bed. Have to pick the ball clean off that kind of lie. There is a little scratch of a divot left over, but not much. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm most definitely a Digger. When i'm hitting it well, i take nice foot long divots. Nice carpets. I know when i hit a bad, and usually thin, shot when i have a really shallow divot where it looks like i burned the grass or just barely took a inch long divot. The deeper and longer my divot, the better contact i had and usually the straighter my shots go. 

7 hours ago, Patch said:

I am a picker. One of those thin to win kind of guys. In fact one of my favorite cooler months practices take place on a dry lake bed. Have to pick the ball clean off that kind of lie. There is a little scratch of a divot left over, but not much. 

me too

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I'm a digger but my beaver pelts get smaller as I get further away from the wedges.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I pick em' clean all day. Wedges and all. Not by design though. Actually didn't think much about it up until couple of years ago when someone else pointed it out. It would be nice if I could have the club head in slightly more descending path at impact but I don't sweat it.

Vishal S.

I'm a picker.   I wish I was more of a digger.  

It's probably why I hit the ball well off a tee, and any other shot that needs a sweep, such as a fairway wood, or hybrid.  

But I'm not very good with mid irons where I really ought to be taking more of a divot.  Something really wrong with my swing there. 

One benefit to being a picker, though, is that I hit some pretty good shots out of fairway bunkers. 

Edited by Marty2019

I originally posted that I was a digger, but that isn't really true any more.  I sort of go both ways now.  I do cut grass with most iron swings, but usually only catch dirt with my shorter irons.  When I'm making good swings, I take a small divot with 7I on down.  I used to be a pelt cutter with my wedges, but that was a long time ago.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

For me, a clean hit looks like I took a divot, but its really just the grass and roots, I run the iron across the surface of the soil, pulling up the grass, but take very little dirt.

Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!