IGNORED

2015 The Players Championship DiscussionThread

Rick Martin
Note: This thread is 3241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I doubt Rory does well this week.  He just played 7 grueling matches, which he had to fight back in a lot of them, over the last 5 days.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I think that McIlroy will benefit hugely from having to play so much golf last week. His schedule at this time of year over the past few years has been patchy, playing one or two tournaments then disappearing for three or four weeks. I think he benefits from having a few tournaments on the bounce as we quite often see with him later in the year, and last week was like two weeks golf squeezed into one. He' only 26, in incredible shape, so physically it shouldnt knock anything out of him, and he's shown with successive wins in the past that the pressure of winning helps rather than hinders him. His game wasn't there last week, and the matchplay format undoubtedly helped cover a few flaws, especially with his short irons, but he's got a Tiger like winners mentality and I think hell get better this week. It will be fascinating to watch him play alongside Spieth, and my spot on the sofa has been reserved for the weekend.

Tiger being single again, at least from what we gather, is encouraging for his game, he can certainly get focused now and start competing again.

But I doubt he's up to Rory's game right now, Jordan is the only one who can take him down IMO, it's McIlroy's to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDC View Post

Tiger being single again, at least from what we gather, is encouraging for his game, he can certainly get focused now and start competing again.

Isn't that kinda what he did at the Masters? ;-)

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/anniversary-fathers-death-vonn-split-tough-tiger/?cid=golfchannel_majorshomepage_the_players_championship_leadcontent_position_1_article_headline

Quote:

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – Tiger Woods acknowledged Tuesday that it is an emotional time for him with news of his breakup with Lindsey Vonn coming out on the  anniversary of his father’s death.

“Obviously, it does affect me,” Woods said in a news conference after playing nine holes of a practice round in preparation for The Players Championship . “It is tough. There's no doubt. I'm not going to lie about that. It is tough. And on top of that, this time of year is really, really hard on me. This three-day window is really hard. I haven't slept. These three days, May 3rd and through the 5th, today, is just brutal on me, and then with obviously what happened on Sunday, it just adds to it.”

Both Woods and Vonn released separate statements Sunday saying that they have mutually decided to split up after nearly three years of dating. Sunday was also the ninth anniversary of Earl Woods’ death.

Woods was asked how difficult it is playing when he’s dealing with challenges outside the ropes.'

“Once you're inside the ropes, it's time to tee it up and time to play,” Woods said. “You go out there, and, for me, I focus. I get into my little world, my little zone and do the best I possibly can for, well, it used to be four hours. Now it's five-hour rounds, a five-hour time period, grind it out and win golf tournaments, because at the end, to me, that's what I want to do at that particular week is win a tournament.”

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Watched a segment on "Live From" last night where David Duval, Brandel, and Frank Nobilo (and Rich Lerner) were all discussing the validity of the Players as being a major, and they all made great points.  I'm now a convert and agree with them that it should be considered the 5th major.  Among several good points, a couple simple ones that stood out:

• It has the strongest field of ANY tournament, top to bottom.  One thing you can say about the Players that you cannot say about any of the current majors, is that every player in the field has a legitimate shot at winning the thing.
  • It is the biggest and most important tournament of the biggest and most important tour.  (The majors are all run by bodies other than the PGA Tour)

Watched a segment on "Live From" last night where David Duval, Brandel, and Frank Nobilo (and Rich Lerner) were all discussing the validity of the Players as being a major, and they all made great points.  I'm now a convert and agree with them that it should be considered the 5th major.  Among several good points, a couple simple ones that stood out: [LIST] [*] It has the strongest field of ANY tournament, top to bottom.  One thing you can say about the Players that you cannot say about any of the current majors, is that every player in the field has a legitimate shot at winning the thing. [*] It is the biggest and most important tournament of the biggest and most important tour.  (The majors are all run by bodies other than the PGA Tour) [/LIST]

I understand the argument for it but the argument against it speaks louder to me: the record books and tradition. Adding another diminishes the importance of the existing four. it is already placed above other events as when reviewing a player's history you'll hear, "He's won 3 majors, a Players and 2 WGC events." I think that sets it apart enough. No need for 5 majors in a year.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I am kinda disappointed that MAJ is not in The Players, as I was hoping for a Thur/Fri pairing with Keegan.

Players play, tough players win!

I understand the argument for it but the argument against it speaks louder to me: the record books and tradition. Adding another diminishes the importance of the existing four. it is already placed above other events as when reviewing a player's history you'll hear, "He's won 3 majors, a Players and 2 WGC events." I think that sets it apart enough. No need for 5 majors in a year.

But that argument would only make sense if the existing 4 majors have been the 4 majors since the beginning. They haven't. There was one major for a time, 2 for a time, 3 as well. Change happens, change is good. Recognize that the argument you are making was likely made by many people in the 50's (or thereabouts) when it was being decided that the Masters should be made into the 4th major. Aren't you glad those voices lost out? Can you not foresee the possibility that 50 or 60 years from now, people could be having the same conversation? "The Intergalactic Invitational should be a major as it's the tournament with the best field in the universe!" "No way! It's about tradition! This is the way it's always been and always should be! 5 is all we need."

But that argument would only make sense if the existing 4 majors have been the 4 majors since the beginning. They haven't. There was one major for a time, 2 for a time, 3 as well. Change happens, change is good. Recognize that the argument you are making was likely made by many people in the 50's (or thereabouts) when it was being decided that the Masters should be made into the 4th major. Aren't you glad those voices lost out? Can you not foresee the possibility that 50 or 60 years from now, people could be having the same conversation? "The Intergalactic Invitational should be a major as it's the tournament with the best field in the universe!" "No way! It's about tradition! This is the way it's always been and always should be! 5 is all we need."

Sure, but it's been 4 a long, long time. I'm not averse to change nor someone who longs for the days of yore (well, maybe sometimes), but adding another major diminishes the 4. Taking your scenario out 500 years, why not have 12? Gotta stop at some point. Now, if they want to replace the PGA with the Players, I would entertain that, although that would be a tough sell.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGolfer

This tournament has Tiger's name all over it. I think we are are about to see the next phase of Tiger's career begin this weekend.

You do realize the Players is a tournament he doesn't traditionally do well in, right?

Are you thinking of a different tournament. He's won it twice, including two years ago.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Bottom Bottom Bottom Bottom

Bottom Bottom Bottom Bottom

:-)

In reference to his short game. Tiger Woods' press conference:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/2015-players-tiger-woods-press-conference/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I understand the argument for it but the argument against it speaks louder to me: the record books and tradition.

Adding another diminishes the importance of the existing four. it is already placed above other events as when reviewing a player's history you'll hear, "He's won 3 majors, a Players and 2 WGC events." I think that sets it apart enough. No need for 5 majors in a year.

I concur. At some point tradition should stand. Everyone knows how strong the Player's field is. Call it a 5th major if you like.

Are you thinking of a different tournament. He's won it twice, including two years ago.

For a course he plays almost every single year, two is not really a lot by "Tiger standards." Look at his finishes there compared to Augusta, Bay Hill, Firestone, Muirfield Village, Torrey Pines and even Congressional. It's like night and day.

Wouldn't surprise me if Tiger has a little bit of a letdown this week. He put so much into Augusta and he's coming off a rollercoaster of a week where he hasn't even slept. Word is he looked really bad in practice today, missing all over the place and his chipping was even off. Hope I'm wrong, but I think it could be a quick week. Not expecting much. I think he should play Quail Hollow next week and get some practice rounds under his belt, but I guess he's not going to tee it up until Jack's place next month.

I think he should play Quail Hollow next week and get some practice rounds under his belt

I think that's the same weekend as Tiger Jam, he's not missing that for Quail Hollow

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Now, if they want to replace the PGA with the Players, I would entertain that, although that would be a tough sell.

In the same way that calling the Scandinavian Open the U.S. Open would be a tough sell. It won't happen, nor is there any reason for it to happen.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

[QUOTE name="boogielicious" url="/t/81776/2015-the-players-championship-discussionthread/18#post_1137882"]   Are you thinking of a different tournament. He's won it twice, including two years ago. [/QUOTE] For a course he plays almost every single year, two is not really a lot by "Tiger standards." Look at his finishes there compared to Augusta, Bay Hill, Firestone, Muirfield Village, Torrey Pines and even Congressional. It's like night and day.

I like his chances better than if he played Riviera. 2/15 ain't bad. I'm guessing the 15.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Sure, but it's been 4 a long, long time. I'm not averse to change nor someone who longs for the days of yore (well, maybe sometimes), but adding another major diminishes the 4. Taking your scenario out 500 years, why not have 12? Gotta stop at some point.

Now, if they want to replace the PGA with the Players, I would entertain that, although that would be a tough sell.

So, it's not really the tradition of the championships themselves that you're worried about, it's just the tradition of the number 4?

Note: This thread is 3241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!