IGNORED

What have you learned from your Game Golf statistics?

Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Obviously the point of the Game Golf system is to use your statistics to improve your game...So for all of you TSTers that have had a chance to log a few rounds on your system, what have you learned?

I've only got 3 rounds on my system so far but a few glaring things have stood out to me that I would very much like to improve:

1. My putting needs a lot of work.  I am 3 putting far too often, especially when I actually hit a GIR, and not getting up and down when I do miss the green

2. I also need to put some practice in with my 4i.  So far i only have one decent shot with my 4i, the rest coming up well short of my target.

Interested in what you all have to say and seeing what other ways you are using the information that GG provides.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

Im horrible on par 3's with any club longer than a 7i.  Also I don't hit the ball as far as I thought with my irons.  I can get them out there but not as consistently as I thought.  I have 9 rounds so far (some of which are 9 hole rounds) and its definitely worth the money IMO.  I absolutely love it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. My driving distance was very inconsistent because of mishits.

2, Long iron performance was even worse than I thought.

3. I could probably drop a fairway wood because the two I have perform too similarly.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Not much yet I bought it hoping to be able to monitor progress but haven't had the time to practice much. I already knew I was terrible. Seeing how terrible didn't shock me.

Though I will say I didn't realize how Groundhog Day my rounds are. I knew I struggled on certain holes but for whatever reason I can't seem to miss in the "right" place. My HBH stuff doesn't change much. If it does that is the point in the round when I get lucky with back to back shots or something.

Dave :-)

I use the compare to the pro feature for insight. You can see Furyk, Westwood, and McDowell 1) They have about 20 yards off the tee when comparing average drive distance 2) They hit the fairway 20% more often than I do 3) They hit the green in regulation 25% more often than I do 4) They get up and down about 25% more than I do 5) my putts per round is about the same as them So this tells me I need to work on approach shots, driver, and greenside shots.

• Administrator

So this tells me I need to work on approach shots, driver, and greenside shots.

Let's see here…

SV④, SV④, and… SV③.

Yup. That checks out. :-D

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Driver needs more distance and straighter. I need to grind out 240-250+ consistently unless I want to move up to the less than 6600 tees. Tired of taking out 5 wood on my second shots... gheez. I mean, it's my favorite club now, but I'd like it to be a distant favorite.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I leaned a lot and It helped me focus. I also focus every round on improving my stats. It' a great incentive.

A few points :

- that stroke average is way higher than expected. good round are rare but high ones are not and it takes months to get back a few strokes.

- I learned a lot on the short game. example very few up and downs from pitching or sand play, a lot on small chips. yet in the short game globally a certain percentage doesn't even finish on the green. So to improuve my short game I took swing lessons since and the mechanics helped a lot my short game stroke !

- One GIR more on average is two strokes less in my game on average. So I decided to avoid ripping tee shots hard and played wider areas. I thus gained another GIR on average hitting from better lies and areas. I also cut off 1 double per round on average.

- hitting few green makes few putts yet I got even fewer putts hitting more green closer to the flag and having a better short game. plus the swing mechanics helped my putting stroke a lot.

Honestly, not that much yet, but I only have about 4 rounds or so in the system. It is nice having proof of a couple of 300+ yard drives for posterity, though, haha.

It's put a number on how crappily I've putted, but it's also shown that that number has improved steadily in each round, which matches my perceptions.

Dumb things have limited its usefulness. For instance, this past round, I had 3 (3!) bunker lies that were either right up against the rear lip or requiring insane stances. In each case, I had to just literally knock the ball into a different part of the bunker to get a playable shot. On two of the subsequent shots, I got up and down. The stats make these look worse than they were. Similarly, until I can exclude recovery shots from the stats, the insights will be limited.

Finally, my driver dispersion page isn't fully accurate. My stroke and distance misses have been terrible snap hooks. My bad, but not that bad, tee shots have been pushs / slices. The ones to the right have been playable, but the snap hooks required reteeing and they don't show up on the dispersion chart. It would be nice to at least be able to tag where the lost ball went, generally.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Just found another great Game Golf feature which can be found on the website under "Explore" and then "Compare"

You can compare your statistics against different scoring benchmarks. So I was able to compare my stats against the average scratch golfer, 72-75 shooter, 75-80 shooter, 80-85 and so on.

It became obvious that my GIR % and Scrambling % were the keys to going from 75-80 (my bracket based on my Game Golf Handicap) and 72-75 or a scratch golfer.

Another thing I found interesting is that my stats match up almost perfectly with the average 75-80 shooter.

Until I had a total collapse last week I was using the stats I gleaned from game golf very effectively!  For instance, just having Game Golf and also having read the Lowest Score Wins I was able to do a shot cone for my 9 iron shots into the green.  When my swing is good my 9 iron is my 150 club so it's VERY important.  Anyway, my game golf stats for 9 rounds worth of 9iron shots into the green (a lot of shots) had me somewhere around 85% left.  So using what I knew about the shot zones and cones i drew my area and used the distances so that I could start hitting it closer to the middle of the green witht he 9 iron.  Woulnd't you know after I changed a few setup things (like aiming more right) the shots start falling in.

I've now gotten my 9 iron stats up to 44% <15 to hole!  I did feel like I was making progress until last week.....

Anyway...that can show you that Game Golf can be EXTREMELY helpful to get your scores down.

Just found another great Game Golf feature which can be found on the website under "Explore" and then "Compare"

You can compare your statistics against different scoring benchmarks. So I was able to compare my stats against the average scratch golfer, 72-75 shooter, 75-80 shooter, 80-85 and so on.

It became obvious that my GIR % and Scrambling % were the keys to going from 75-80 (my bracket based on my Game Golf Handicap) and 72-75 or a scratch golfer.

Another thing I found interesting is that my stats match up almost perfectly with the average 75-80 shooter.

these are awesome stats.  Good way to see how you stack up against similar players and know what to work on.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

I learned some things I should have known already, as well as some that I was surprised about:

• I score (to par) best on par 3s and worst on par 5s. I knew this to be true for most golfers, but always felt I had an advantage on par 5s because of my distance. Turns out, they just provide more opportunity for me to screw the hole up.
  • I don't miss left or right inside of 100 yards. It's like 4% in both directions. My miss inside of 100 is distance-related and I need to spend more time mapping out my partial wedges.
  • I'm about 30-35% accurate with all of my irons. Not really sure what to do with this information, though.
  • The GW is the most accurate club in my bag. I just took it out right before I learned this and glued its tag on another club.

I've been using GameGolf for a while now, and I like it. It reinforces some things I knew about my game (like my problems off the tee) and shows me things I didn't (individual club performance). I'm motivated by the numbers to make them better, so it helps me want to be a better golfer.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I reinforced what I had already guessed that I am more often short than long. What shocked me was that I am 4 times more likely to be short than long.

Compared to some other people above I realized that I am far worse vs par on par 4's than I am on Par 3s and 5s and that my GIR on Par 3's is no where near where it should be.

Par 4 problem stems back to needing a long iron into the green and there I can see a huge drop off in my <15m proximity stat.

I learned that I need to work on my second shots to the green. It goes to the fact that my most reliable club on the practice tee... my 7 iron... I've been topping on the fairway. I haven't hit a single shot longer than 30 yds with it this season on the course. I know this isn't going to last forever. My 6i is fine, and my 8i is fine. Why is the 7 iron doing this? Because I'm not making the same swing I'm doing with my 6 or 8 iron. For some stupid reason I'm quitting on the swing. If I wouldn't I could shave a couple more strokes off the score. That's what Game Golf has shown me.

I do not need to work on tee shots or putting. I have 52% FW accuracy and I'm under 2 putts per green. I need to work on my mid game and approach shots to increase my GIR.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The misleading part about the driving distances is that it includes the 110 yd par 3s. It shouldn't.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The misleading part about the driving distances is that it includes the 110 yd par 3s. It shouldn't.

I only have driving distance for my driver 4w and 3h. Not sure what your talking about.

Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!