IGNORED

How necessary are proper golf shoes?

Note: This thread is 3049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fairly new to the sport (3 months in) and have bought some new stuff because my club set was old. Bought a newish driver/3w/3hy. I currently play in some Nike tennis shoes and they feel ok. I was wondering how much golf shoes have helped people though?  Would you suggest them?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not necessary at all. Many golf shoes don't even have spikes anymore. I wear spikeless shoes and prefer them to softspikes. Any sneaker with a decent tread should work fine, you'll just want something that is water proof to protect from morning dew, sprinklers, puddles, etc.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I think they help especially if you play in the morning when the grass is damp. Even spikeless shoes are designed to grip the ground. I've forgotten my shoes a couple of times in the last year and I slipped a lot on damp grass. You don't have to spend a lot to get a decent pair of shoes just take the time to look around.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Golf shoes help when the ground is wet and if you have to take an awkward stance near a bunker or on a hill.  I prefer them more for the peace of mind they provide in knowing I won't lose my footing during my swing than anything else.  It's just one less thing for me to worry about.

Joe Paradiso

I think where and when you play makes a big difference. When I started playing golf I played in a part of the country that got a lot of rain so the course was always slippy and golf shoes really helped keep me stable. Now I play in a place that is much drier and my sneakers seem fine (and more comfortable) one thing about having golf shoes I've found is that it can help me get into 'golf mode' more easily. Once they are on I've definitely stepped across the line and am trying to concentrate on the game and leave the off course stuff behind.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

When golf shoes orginally were street oxfords with screw holes drilled into the leather sole, you could replace them as they wore down and it really did make a difference in terms of stabilizing a golfer during the swing. The downsides of course were the ripping up of greens by dolts who did not pick up their feet, the possibliltiy of sliding on asphalt and the ever present awareness of being grounded in a rainstorm with metal going into the earth. But it was a cool sound to hear the clicks of golf shoes, I now have a 2 pairs of spikeless and one pair with softspikes for rainy or wet weather. They are all much more comfortable than my old saddles and bluchers. And now days it is rare indeed to see the greens ripped apart.

I am beginning to think they are less and less important. It wasn't the case in the old days with hard leather soles or a pair of $500 Eccos I had a year or so back. I have shoes where the spikes are completely worn down and it makes no difference. The modern spikeless shoes are a completely different animal. And, as others have said, they perform less well in the wet.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Most useful on slopey courses in the rain, but normally not a big issue. I like them for the large sole, looks and grip. Don't use spikes anymore, only the knobby ones.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I have a heavy duty waterproof pair I use for golfing up in the Northwest. But here in SoCal I find them a nuisance. If anything it's almost more of a fashion statement.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I'll agree with those who say it depends on conditions. I've played several rounds in just my thin sole pumas and played just as well as I do in my golf shoes when it's dry. I made the mistake of playing in them when it was a little damp and I slipped several times during my swing. When it's time to get new shoes again I'll probably get something like the True Linkswear shoes or other shoe that I would call a "hybrid" golf/street shoe.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I have gone to practice range and even golfed in flip-flops ... (I hate the white feet syndrome) However, as has been stated it depends on the weather condition ... in wet weather I have to some traction ... so as a result I have one pair of "golf shoes" with soft spikes.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I think they're important, I won't play or practice without them, always spikeless.

It may not rain, but the grass can be wet from sprinklers, and hills can be slick no matter what, so no need to take a chance, it's easy enough to put on the golf shoes.

I only wear golf shoes because they usually are constructed to be durable. Courses are full of sand, mud, wet spots, goose turds etc. I wear Vans to play all the time but even stuff like digging into a bunker thrashes them. The spikes do nothing for me unless the ground is wet enough to slip.

Dave :-)

I'll agree with those who say it depends on conditions. I've played several rounds in just my thin sole pumas and played just as well as I do in my golf shoes when it's dry. I made the mistake of playing in them when it was a little damp and I slipped several times during my swing. When it's time to get new shoes again I'll probably get something like the True Linkswear shoes or other shoe that I would call a "hybrid" golf/street shoe.

So I decided to do a quick search to see what the prices were for some spikeless golf shoes yesterday. I checked True Linkswear for deals, nothing right now, but I was able to find a clearance on the Project M shoes by Footjoy. I was able to pick them up for $50.

Super comfortable and fit the style of shoe I like to wear, as in thin sole, thin upper material, and lightweight. Pretty happy with the shoe and the deal, considering they were 145 when they first came out.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

While I think tennis shoes are fine most of the time, there are some benefit to golf shoes.  Nice traction/grip and their more waterproof than tennis shoes.  Plus you can get a decent pair for what tennis shoes cost.  So why not get golf shoes?  The less you're wearing your tennis shoes on the course, the longer they will last in general.

:adams:  XTD Ti Driver 12* Stiff flex

:adams:  XTD Ti 4H 23* Stiff flex

:ping:  G10 4-W +1" Stiff flex

:odyssey:  White Hot Pro Havok 35"

If you have a pretty aggressive swing, having some grip on the turf with your back foot is a good thing. Helps in firing your hips and lower body.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I picked up a pair of these a couple months ago, they were $50:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4310001&cp;=4413989.4414138&categoryId;=4418338&fg;=Brand

I'm not a fan of that dorky white and brown look but I couldn't find anything I liked with a similar style of grip on the bottom in that price range.  It's been a good shoe so far though, I'm impressed.  Much better than the Nike shoe I had before that cost twice as much.

Note: This thread is 3049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!