IGNORED

I Saw a Woman Playing Alone

iacas
Note: This thread is 1097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 9/6/2015 at 1:47 PM, iacas said:

The other day while rating a golf course, I saw a woman, about 55 and probably about an 18-22 handicap, playing golf alone.

She had a push cart. She dropped an extra ball once that I saw and hit it. She played 18 holes.

And I couldn't shake how odd the whole thing seemed to me.

Seriously, though, when's the last time you saw someone meeting that description playing alone?

Whether it's simply because women tend to be more social creatures or what, I don't know, but while I've seen plenty of GUYS playing by themselves, I don't think I've ever seen an older woman who isn't a competitive amateur (in scratch type events, I mean) playing by herself.

There's no judgment here of any kind - I was happy for her, truly, because I do think some women miss out on some of the good things that come with playing golf by yourself.

I just found it odd, and even now, days later, cannot shake that feeling. Good for her, though.

Back when I was still playing I noticed a woman of about age playing alone.  One day when I was playing alone I encountered her on the second tee and asked if she'd like to join me and she did.  We had a nice time.  It made me think that, for whatever reason, she didn't have anyone to play with, and no one asked her to join their group, out on the course.  It made me a little sad for her.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Caught up to a single 60 year old Korean woman on the 13th hole....I've played with her before and think she plays often on her own.

I see many Asian women playing as singles here....tons of Asian women play golf here....whether it be with friends, their husbands or on their own.

I'm usually playing alone. I usually meet up with a couple of guys on the course and play 9 or 18. My friends don't play and I'm not an early riser. I've tried morning leagues and I'd rather not deal with the politics.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

We must all be loners over here ;-). I often go out to play by myself and it's rare that anyone asks each other if they want to play together.

It's happened to me once and it was good fun. I'm ok with playing solo as i play early mornings and quite a bit in the winter so i'm often alone on most of the course anyway. I do find that i have conversations with myself when i play so may just be losing the plot a little.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I am Asian, a woman and I enjoy playing alone!  It is nice to have quiet time to myself to focus on my game and not have to socialize/chit chat with others. I play with my husband and his friends on weekends,  and weekdays are my alone time. I joined my club’s ladies association last year but did not enjoy playing with the ladies in my flight (I am a 7hcp). They play mind games and are ruthless when it comes to competitions. The high handicappers are nicer but they are SLOW, and I don’t have 5 hours to play 18 with them.

I used to enjoy walking 18 by myself, the peace and quiet, until there reports of coyote attacks, so now I ride a cart or pick a tee time between groups so I am not the only one out there. No one has ever asked me to join them and I am not interested in asking others to join me either...

The only worry I have about playing alone is not having a witness to my hole in one incase it happens (I have 2 and luckily both times have witnesses)!

Edited by FlyingAce
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’ve posted before about playing alone, and I, too enjoy it.  I’m a high-handicapper, but I play quickly; five-hour rounds kill me, too!  Members of my women's league (mostly indexes of low-20s to mid-30s) pride ourselves on being ready to play, walking quickly to the ball, searching for a minute—not 3—for lost balls, etc.  "If it’s not immediately visible, it’s probably not playable.  Take the penalty and move on!"  So give the higher-handicappers a chance as playing partners: you might be pleasantly surprised!

BTW, I can’t imagine that you’ve NEVER been asked to join another group.  When I play with my husband or another couple of friends, we ALWAYS invite the singles to join us.  Of course, some prefer to play alone, and that’s okay, too.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/6/2015 at 8:47 PM, iacas said:

The other day while rating a golf course, I saw a woman, about 55 and probably about an 18-22 handicap, playing golf alone.

She had a push cart. She dropped an extra ball once that I saw and hit it. She played 18 holes.

And I couldn't shake how odd the whole thing seemed to me.

Seriously, though, when's the last time you saw someone meeting that description playing alone?

Whether it's simply because women tend to be more social creatures or what, I don't know, but while I've seen plenty of GUYS playing by themselves, I don't think I've ever seen an older woman who isn't a competitive amateur (in scratch type events, I mean) playing by herself.

There's no judgment here of any kind - I was happy for her, truly, because I do think some women miss out on some of the good things that come with playing golf by yourself.

I just found it odd, and even now, days later, cannot shake that feeling. Good for her, though.

At a club I used to play at there was a woman who often played on her own. She was very attractive, albeit a little overweight. I often wondered if she had done all her housework before coming out ?

- Simon Hornsby

1 hour ago, Southern by Choice said:

I’ve posted before about playing alone, and I, too enjoy it.  I’m a high-handicapper, but I play quickly; five-hour rounds kill me, too!  Members of my women's league (mostly indexes of low-20s to mid-30s) pride ourselves on being ready to play, walking quickly to the ball, searching for a minute—not 3—for lost balls, etc.  "If it’s not immediately visible, it’s probably not playable.  Take the penalty and move on!"  So give the higher-handicappers a chance as playing partners: you might be pleasantly surprised!

BTW, I can’t imagine that you’ve NEVER been asked to join another group.  When I play with my husband or another couple of friends, we ALWAYS invite the singles to join us.  Of course, some prefer to play alone, and that’s okay, too.

Most of the ladies at my club are retired and play golf for the social aspect of it. They meet for breakfast before teeing off and have lunch together after. And there is always so much to talk about during the game - that may be the reason why the pace is slower.

I have been with my club for 2 years now and have played almost 200 rounds and not a single invite to join anyone!!! My club allows 5somes and also have no issues with singles booking a tee time and blocking the time slot so no one else can join. Most groups already have their max and singles just want to play alone. I wonder if other clubs are like that...

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

At a club I used to play at there was a woman who often played on her own. She was very attractive, albeit a little overweight. I often wondered if she had done all her housework before coming out ?

Wow? This says a lot about you in a negative way. 

• Like 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Golf-related misogyny strikes me funny when I see, but I had a case in point the other day.

My buddy and I rolled up on a couple of real hackers (yes, even worse that ourselves). In letting us pass on No. 8, they tried to blame their slow play on a couple of ladies in front of them, but we hadn't seen the women in a couple of holes.

As we were putting on No. 9 the ladies had already reached the parking lot and were preparing to leave. Our chauvinistic friends didn't make the ninth fairway until we had finished putting on No. 11.

• Thumbs Up 1

Flying Ace:  Our club will very occasionally turn a blind eye to fivesomes when things are VERY slow.  I can’t image you following a group that size as a single unless you are often invited to play through.  Do you specifically ask to play alone when you book?  I’m perfectly happy to be paired up with someone else when I book a solo tee time; I just don’t want to go to the trouble to find playing partners myself!

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

Come on now, do we really need comments like this?. It may have been "ok" at a working mens club variety show in the 70's but no place for it here.

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

@Southern by Choice Fivesomes and singles are normal during weekend mornings at my club! Most fivesomes are jerks and would not let anyone play through! I’d have to skip the hole instead. I was behind a fivesome yesterday and finally gave up after hole 13. I skipped 14-16 and got back on 17 and 18.   

We use an online system to request tee times up to 7 days in advance and the proshop will assign times 3 days before. Once the tee sheet is opened, anyone can go in and take whatever they want. 

I can put up to 5 players for each time slot. If I want to play alone, I just put my name down and block the other 4 by putting “guest”. That way, no one else can add their names to my time. I usually leave mine open but no one has ever joined me. The proshop also rarely puts players together so everyone has to find their own playing partners!

I remembers some years ago while I was trying out some new drivers at a driving range, a young lady, by her lonesome self, set up in the one of the stalls. The fact that all she had was a driver, didn't seem to out of line. 

There was about 8, or 9 of "us guys" there trying to look impressive like guys might do around a good looking woman. 

We looked impressive right up to the point when she started crushing drives past all of us poor, wannabee long hitters. Every drive she hit seemed to fly forever, long, and reasonably straight. She was hitting in the 280-290 range from what I could tell. 

Not being a bashful type of person, I asked her where she learned to swing a club like that. She told me she was self taught. 

After a little more conversation, I found out that the only golf she played was at this driving range. All she wanted to do was hit balls. That her real sport was playing volleyball for the local university. That she also liked playing basketball. 

I told she should try playing golf. That she seemed to have the tougher part of the game well in hand. "Maybe some day when I get bored" was her answer. 

Since then, I have often thought about just how many folks there are out there, who have a decent golf swing, that just don't care to play golf. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

Enjoy your timeout.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

If I want to play alone, I just put my name down and block the other 4 by putting “guest”. That way, no one else can add their names to my time.

That blocks out people that want to golf.  That blocks the course from making that revenue.  There is no justification in doing this unless you are paying for 5 slots personally.  Or actually bring guests.

6 hours ago, Southern by Choice said:

Do you specifically ask to play alone when you book?

Hopefully a course just doesn't even allow the option.... see above.

(I absolutely prefer to play alone on an empty course, but I only pay for one slot.  So I only have say over one slot.  Playing alone is a lucky break I'm happy to have, but I can't force that situation.  It's the height of narcissism to contemplate otherwise. )

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!