IGNORED

2015 Newport Cup Sponsor Thread: TRUE Linkswear Shoes

Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Each Newport Cup player received a pair of the 2015 TRUE Motion golf shoes. East Coast players got them in white, West Coast players got them in black.

This thread is for the posting of comments, photos of the shoes, discussion of how they performed, and anything else Newport Cup team members want to share about their TRUE shoes. If any other forum members have any questions for the team members, ask them here.

For now, @iacas and I would like to send a hearty THANK YOU to TRUE Linkswear!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

TRUE Linkswear TRUE Motion Golf Shoes

By Vincent Dugan

I was already quite familiar with True Linkswear golf shoes before I was fortunate enough to get my feet into a pair of 2015 True Motions for the Newport Cup . I converted to minimalist golf shoes about two years ago when I picked up a pair of True Tours after reading about them on the forum. The real beauty of this type of shoe is that they effectively bring you closer to ball. Standing on the thick soles of a conventional golf shoe is like hitting a ball below your feet, forcing the player to move the arms out farther from the body and throwing off your balance because the balls and heels of your feet aren't at the same height as each other or the ball. After two years of having my feet properly on the ground my old Greenjoys feel like combat boots in comparison. Minimal soles put you in a more natural position and it feels like you're hitting a shorter club because you don't have to reach as much, which is an especially comforting feeling with a long iron in your hands.. The improvements put into the 2015 True are obvious upon the first wearing. The 2015 True Motions feature an extra comfortable insole and more pronounced treads for greater traction. Even with the increased treads the True motion felt like a sneaker on indoor surfaces so the transition from car to course to clubhouse is as seamless as ever. Another improvement I noticed were metal eyelets and stronger cord style laces. No break in period was required and my feet felt great even after a playing 5 rounds in 3 days competing for the cup. Just great pair of golf shoes. I'd like to say thanks to True Linkswear for hooking us up so we could compete in style.

My 2015 True Motions

acf681f4_0914152215b.jpeg

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I was probably one of the few guys at the Newport Cup who didn't previously have a pair of True Linkswear shoes, so when we came home from PING the first day, I was ecstatic to see that True box. I used to really like the True phx and Stealth models, but many of the recent models haven't appealed to me. In person, the True Motion shoes look absolutely phenomenal. As an east coaster, I got the white model. I can't overstate just how great they look with shorts, and I even wore them to work today with dark jeans. They truly look awesome. The way they feel to walk in is like nothing I've ever experienced. I never really jumped on the minimalist bandwagon (mostly because I'm not a runner), but I completely see the appeal of a low heel drop shoe. It felt so natural to walk in, even if I'd never worn anything like them. My heel was right on the ground, but I never felt like it was getting tired, even after five rounds of golf in three days. There was no break-in period with the Trues. I got some crap from the guys for wearing them around the house Wednesday night, because they all knew I didn't need to work them in before wearing them. I tend to walk pretty substantially on the outsides of my soles, particularly with my right foot. This means that when I'm walking in more narrow shoes, my foot becomes very unstable, and I run the risk of rolling my ankles to the outside just by walking. The Trues have such a large toe box that my feet never felt unstable. The only time I ever didn't feel completely secure walking or swinging in them was on wet concrete, but I wouldn't have felt safe wearing anything on that surface, so I don't hold it against the Trues. The laces were very easy to pull tight, which I appreciate. I know that's a small things, but Trues run slightly large, so the ability to pull them taught was nice.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I too have never owned a pair of True Linkswear shoes until the Newport Cup. I have had several different brands and styles of shoes and all have been pretty good....or at least I thought they were...

I never fully felt OK with the idea of minimal spikes because I am a big guy and have slipped in the past even with spiked golf shoes.

True Linkswear will be the only brand I wear from now on. Honestly they look and feel like a really nice pair of athletic shoes. Very convertible, plenty of grip on wet fairways, bunkers, you name it. I can wear my footjoy's for a round walking but after about 27 holes I need to take them off. Last week we played 90 holes in three days. I put my True Linkswear shoes on at 6am and took them off at 8pm all three days. No issues whatsoever. The fit was perfect, they feel was perfect, I loved them.

I would highly recommend to anyone to try out True Linkswear and see what you think. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I see this is the brand that Ryan Moore is with. I saw a segment on Golf Channel once about it, and I liked the way the company was portrayed. I like the styles I athletic styles that I see from them (I currently have a more sneaker-styled golf shoe).

I'm not a huge fan of that whole Pacific Northwest rugged mountain look (no offense, @mchepp ). Well not for me, anyway, but Ryan looks good. In the profile I saw on the company, they featured more of the look that Ryan has, but I think I could definitely go for the styles I'm seeing now (there were some posted in tweets during the Newport Cup too). If it gets the seal of approval from you guys, I'll take the plunge for my next shoe purchase.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I see this is the brand that Ryan Moore is with. I saw a segment on Golf Channel once about it, and I liked the way the company was portrayed. I like the styles I athletic styles that I see from them (I currently have a more sneaker-styled golf shoe).

I'm not a huge fan of that whole Pacific Northwest rugged mountain look (no offense, @mchepp). Well not for me, anyway, but Ryan looks good. In the profile I saw on the company, they featured more of the look that Ryan has, but I think I could definitely go for the styles I'm seeing now (there were some posted in tweets during the Newport Cup too). If it gets the seal of approval from you guys, I'll take the plunge for my next shoe purchase.

No offense taken @RandallT I have not lived up here long enough to start wearing the rugged look myself. I am from California, still an outsider here. Luckily one great thing about Portland is they pretty much accept you no matter how you choose to look. Goth, hippy, Californian, they really don't care.

As to the True's I highly recommend you try out a pair. They are very comfortable and nobody complained at all about tired feet. That is something considering we played 90 holes of golf, wondering around the desert looking for each others balls and everyone's feet felt great. It is excellent advertisement for how comfortable the shoes are.

Michael

I've worn primarily FootJoy shoes for 30 years or more, with an occasional pair of Ecco's or Ashworth shoes, and I've been pretty happy with all of them.  I'd never heard of True shoes until I joined TST.  When I saw the shoeboxes on the table this past Wednesday, I knew I was going to try something new, and I hoped it would work out.

It worked out!  From the start, the shoes fit well.  When I got onto the grass, I could feel the grip of the soles.  Most important, when I was midway through my second round of the day, the shoes were still comfortable.  And the next day, and the next, through 90 holes in 3 days, the shoes remained comfortable.  I am very impressed with the stability of my swing in the shoes, the grip of the soles, even on wet slopes, but the comfort through long days of golf was simply outstanding.

Now I have to tell the truth, @mchepp was only in the desert looking for other guys' golf balls.  His own were always on the nice soft green grass of the fairway.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Never worn or even heard of True shoes before. But now I don't think I'll ever buy a different brand.

At address, while standing over the ball, the look is fantastic. That was a selling point for me. Usually shoes are too busy, or boring; bust something about the bright white of these shoes really worked for me.

They were also super duper comfortable from the minute they came out of the box. They ran a little large, which was perfect for my wider feet. I didn't even have to lace them all the way up to the top of the shoe, and they still held firm.

The Motions were spikeless shoes; that is, they didn't have replaceable spikes, but permanent ridges on the bottom. They gripped the ground very well, and but also didn't feel too heavy on my feet. I was able to move freely when I wanted and also secure myself when I wanted.

On wet concrete, they were a little slick for me, which I didn't like; they tended to slip a bit. But otherwise, they were perfect. I walked in casual water more a few times, and they held up perfectly. I really do love these shoes, and would love to wear them all the time.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Erik ( @iacas ) got me to try the Truelinks shoes back when they came out with the sensei series. Ever since then I have been hooked on these shoes. I was already into minimalist shoes because of my ankle issues from playing other sports and having too much sole width on the shoes. I think the True Motions are one of my favorite iterations. I hope their next line of shoes build on that same model.

A little bit on minimalist shoes. They typically have very thin soles. The primary thing they have is very little to no heel drop between the toe and heel. This means you walk more naturally the way you were intended to instead of being forced to adjust to a shoes design. Truelinks also makes the soles very flexible so that you get good feedback and a greater sense of balance in actually using your feet for support. Also the fact they are some of the most comfy golf shoes ever made makes them the best golf shoe on the market.

The only con I heard from the True Motion model have been the waterproofing. Besides that they fit great. I tend to wear a 10.5 because my feet are slightly wide near the toes and struggle with narrower shoes. These shoes fit perfect with their slightly wider sole in the toe area. So I am able to wear the correct 10.0 shoe size.

A big plus of wearing spikeless, meaning you don't need to buy replacement spikes, is when they get worn out you can just wear the shoes as a normal pair of shoes. Given most people just wear these shoes anyways after golf because they are that comfy. This also extends the life of the shoe. If you just wear them for golf they will last you a long time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Very little I can add to the comments already posted for Truelinks. I am now very much interested in trying out their other color combinations. The lightness of a running sneaker but thin soled grip of the entire footprint certainly makes for a more ergonomically suited move through the ball. Handsome shoe.

Vishal S.

I had not used True Linkswear shoes prior to participating in the Newport Cup. Typically, I won't play a competitive round in ANY golf shoe until it's been through 3-4 rounds of golf already. The primary reason for this is that every prior shoe I've owned (Footjoy, Nike, Ashworth) all dig into my heel when they are being broken in. I've come to accept that a couple rounds of bloody heels is just the toll that I have to pay when I buy a new golf shoe.

So even though I had been told there was no breaking in period for the Trues, I brought my Ashworth's to the course as a backup..... you know, just in case. As you probably guessed, I never needed the them. The Trues held up magnificently through 90 holes of golf. My feet felt fantastic (granted we were riding carts, but doing a LOT of walking to a from balls) and my heels were saved their ritual abuse for once. Equally importantly, the look was very stylish. I thought the Trues looked very sharp out on the course. Assuming the performance and durability of the shoe continues to meet/exceed my expectations, I can say that I will be likely buying Trues for my next golf shoe.

TRUE Linkswear TRUE Motion Golf Shoes Review (5 Stars)

Pros: Comfort, Fit, Looks

Cons: Water Resistance

I've been wearing TRUE Linkswear shoes now for about 2-3 years. I started with the Senei model. I found the TRUE Motion model to be the best iteration yet of their spikeless shoe.

Zero Drop

TRUE Motion shoes are built with a zero drop sole. This means there is less than 4 mm height difference between the heel and the toe of the shoe. This allows the foot to walk with its more natural motion, heel to toe, than with more traditional shoes. I also found that the zero drop helps enhance balance in the golf game because it doesn't force you to sit back more since you are not leaning over more on shot due to the heel being higher off the ground.

Wide Toe Box

TRUE Motion shoes are built with a wider toe box. For me this is a godsend because I have shorter feet, but slightly wider toe area. I tend to wear 1/2 a size larger in a typical shoe to adjust for this. With TRUE Motion I do not have to do this. These shoes fit me perfectly. Also a wider toe box allows the toes to naturally sit so you can get better balance. With narrower shoes the toes get scrunched up and you loose the ability to use your feet to balance your self correctly.

Lower Sole

TRUE Motion are a lower profile shoe meaning they are closer to the ground. This has a few benefits. First it mimics barefoot walking more, which is a more natural movement. Also it allows the golfer to be in a better posture at set up since you are not elevated more off the ground. I found for people with weaker ankles it helps provide stability since you do not increase the lever arm, drop distance to the ground. Basically you are less likely to roll your ankles when the sole is closer to the ground. Has anyone ever rolled their ankle while barefoot or has it always been when you are wearing a shoe. For someone who has rolled his ankle multiple times. I find the lower sole to really give me better support and ease of mind while walking a golf course.

Spikeless

TRUE Motion shoes are built with out replaceable spikes. This means you are not spending extra money replacing them every few months. It also means you will not lose a spike as well. You will not also be required to change shoes once you leave the golf course. I found that TRUE Linkswear soles to be very durable in how long their tread on the soles of the shoes last. I had a pair that lasted me 2 years and that was wearing them everywhere besides just on the golf course. If you wear the on the golf course only you will not be wearing these soles out anytime soon.

As for gripping the ground. Their treads grip the ground as good or better than the typical spike shoes. In the end the only time you will slip is if you are on hardpan or the ground is so soft the grass tears away from the ground. Either way the spike shoes will slip just as easily in these conditions as well. In your 95% typical golf course conditions these grip just fine.

If you want a spiked shoe TRUE Linkswear has introduced a model that has spikes.

Quality

These shoes are belt very solid. They are made of good quality leather. The only downside is I heard some people complain about how water can get into the shoe. This is a flaw in the design of this shoe. I've never had an issue in the past with other TRUE Linkswear shoes. Given I don't play in wet conditions too much. I don't mind just using these shoes for dry conditions on the course. I can see how this can be a big knock though for some people. I wouldn't disregard the brand just because this one incident. Overall TRUE Linkswear as a company produce fantastic shoes.

Price

TRUE Linkswear are competitively priced with any golf shoes company out there. They are absolutely the most comfortable shoes out there. I've played 52 holes of golf in two days and my feet were not aching at all.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've been a fan of True Linkswear shoes for several years now.  I love them so much that I wear them for more than just the golf course.  I practice at lunch during the week often and can wear a pair of my shoes all day to save some time during that one hour break.  So when I saw that box sitting on the counter with my name on it, I got pretty excited.  I brand new pair of True Motion in black. The Motions are a solid, and sporty looking shoe.  A little more of a "sneaker" feel than my Senseis or Protos (those feel more like slippers), but still with the distinctive low heel drop and roomy toe box that Trues are known for.  (The toe box is less roomy than older models, but still roomier than a typical golf shoe).  They are also similar to older models in that they are spikeless.  True has started experimenting with some shoes with soft spikes, but the Motions aren't one of them. The last pair I've owner was a pair of Gents, and they were unfortunately a little too small for my size 13 feet.  True has been a little spotty with their sizing consistency season to season and because of my bad luck with the Gents, and the fact that they stop making 1/2 sizes at 13, I was a little weary of these fitting well. It was a pleasant surprise to find out that while the Motions seem to run a teeny bit smaller than the Protos from a couple of years ago, they did not run as small as the Gents.  They fit snugly and perfectly on my feet.  I considered not wearing them since I tend to have a breaking in period with new shoes where I get a gawdawful blister on my heels, but I wanted to be in full uniform and I wanted to look good, so I took a chance.  If you look through the pics from each day, you'll see that I wore them the entire time.  They ended up being super comfortable, and I shouldn't have worried for a second.  On Thursday and Friday, they went on at 5:45 in the morning at the house and stayed on until we got back to the house after dinner 13 or 14 hours later.  On Saturday, they were on my feet from 7am through to about 3pm. These shoes are my fifth pair of True Linkswear and they immediately became my favorite pair.  I love them!  A huge thank you to True Linkswear for sponsoring the Newport Cup and providing us with these fantastic golf shoes! :beer: [SPOILER=True Linkswear Customer Service (Unrelated to Newport Cup)]Just wanted to put in a good word for their customer service department.  The Gents I bought several months back didn't quite fit right and then they actually ended up separating at the heel.  At a friends suggestion, I emailed them about it and after a couple of notes back and forth with one of their reps (Austin), I was sent a new pair of shoes. They were out of stock of the Gents and just told me to pick whichever other style I wanted and they'd get them out to me.  I chose the Oxfords in Moss Green and they are another perfect style for me to wear to work on practice days.  I cannot see myself wearing any other golf shoe for a long time.[/SPOILER]

:true_linkswear:

Thank you True for being a sponsor and providing your products to the Newport Cup participants.

These are my first pair of True golf shoes, but I have been wearing spike-less shoes for over five years.

The first day was the only time I wore the True shoes during the trip.

They were very comfortable, but I obtained a small blister on the end of my toe.

They now are in the shoe shop being stretched a tad and hopefully they will fit properly without issues.

I'm a big fan of turf friendly products and hope someday golf courses elect to ban spikes totally.

One major factor that flat sole products benefit over traditional golf shoes are no "heel impressions" on soft or wet bent grass greens.

True products, like other brands which are trending to athletic style golf shoes, offer better comfort and support while playing.

I am looking forward to wearing these great golf shoes for many more rounds to come and thanks True, once again.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!