IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Well, yesterday I shot a 77.

Today, I really don't know, but I beat my opponent at match play. I pretty much stopped keeping score when he gave me a 2' birdie putt, while he was scrambling for a 7 on a par 5.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I shot 107.

It was on the Stonemont course at Stone Mountain yesterday, which I had never played.  It was also the first time I'd been on a golf course in a couple of months due to a back injury.  I started off pretty well, with a bogey on the first (the hardest hole on the course according to the starter), a par, followed by another bogey.  Then I went double, quad, triple, double, triple, double to round out the front.  Overall, I hit nine fairways, but my approaches were dismal, and my short game was a hot mess.  I also three putted a lot, and just generally found myself out of sync for most of the round.

We played the whites, and in all honesty, I probably should have played from the gold tees, because I was not able to reach many par fours in regulation.  In fact, I only hit two greens in regulation all day; the second and the 18th, which I three putted for a bogey six. I just felt like I wasn't getting any turn, which is to be expected after that long of a lay-off.  I did go out in the backyard this afternoon and get in some work, and I started to feel a bit of my timing returning.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

First time touching a club in over 2 weeks since I was quarantined, we played up one set of tees to mix it up a bit so it was 5561 yds and I shot the round of my life. 34/33 for a -4 67. 6 birdies and 2 bogies. First time I have ever broken par and first time ever breaking 70.

Everything was effortless. Tee shots were solid with no big misses, irons were well struck, distance control with irons and wedges were spot on, I hit a ton of wedge shots within 10-15 feet and I made a bunch of putts today too on greens that were much slower than I am used to. Breaking par was the only goal I had yet to accomplish this year and I finally got it on what will likely be the last round of the season. 

Fairways - 7/13

GIR - 14/18

Putts - 28

These strokes gained are compared to scratch golfers.

image.png

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

7 minutes ago, klineka said:

First time touching a club in over 2 weeks since I was quarantined, we played up one set of tees to mix it up a bit so it was 5561 yds and I shot the round of my life. 34/33 for a -4 67. 6 birdies and 2 bogies. First time I have ever broken par and first time ever breaking 70.

Congrats! And don’t forget to claim the breaking Par achievement 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3 hours ago, klineka said:

Everything was effortless. Tee shots were solid with no big misses, irons were well struck, distance control with irons and wedges were spot on, I hit a ton of wedge shots within 10-15 feet and I made a bunch of putts today too on greens that were much slower than I am used to. Breaking par was the only goal I had yet to accomplish this year and I finally got it on what will likely be the last round of the season. 

Fairways - 7/13

GIR - 14/18

Putts - 28

These strokes gained are compared to scratch golfers.

image.png

Way to go!  Sounds like you found that magic distance to have a fantastic round! 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

4 hours ago, klineka said:

Breaking par was the only goal I had yet to accomplish this year and I finally got it on what will likely be the last round of the season. 

Congratulations.  My goal has been to break 80 consistently!  I shot a 86 a few days ago; not too bad since it was my 3rd round after a long hiatus due to a 'frozen shoulder' problem.   It's the couple holes that I double bogey or worse that are killing me.  Consistency is improving though.  My wedges need to be crisper and my lag putting needs improvement.    

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

16 hours ago, MGN said:

Congratulations.  My goal has been to break 80 consistently!  I shot a 86 a few days ago; not too bad since it was my 3rd round after a long hiatus due to a 'frozen shoulder' problem.   It's the couple holes that I double bogey or worse that are killing me.  Consistency is improving though.  My wedges need to be crisper and my lag putting needs improvement.    

Thank you! And yeah having no doubles yesterday was a big part of it. My misses were in the right spots leading to easy chips and pitches.

I too have worked on my wedges a lot this year, I've spent a lot of time at the range getting my distances dialed in, I have a specific swing feel for every 10 yard increment from 50 yds up to a full PW, like 140 yds. 

Keep attacking your weaknesses and you'll get there!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Pretty excited to still be playing this year. Windy and not ideal conditions today. 2 doubles on the front. Did hit a 6 iron to 2 feet at 8 for a tap in bird. 40 on front. Went on a tear on the back with 8 pars and of course a double on 18 to close. Ended up with a 78. Nothing all too noteworthy other than a total of 3 doubles today which is a little irritating!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

77 yesterday, and a 75 today. Supposed to play tomorrow, Sunday, and a Monday Match Play event, but it looks like we may get rained out on Monday, and then the chilly air comes in with highs of 60. I think I'll hang up the clubs until it warms up.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

What a round of golf today. I went to play Hillandale today (par 71, 6026 from whites), which is one of my favorite courses in the Durham area. I shot my lowest round (80) here back in July. I didn’t shoot another 80, but I did shoot 87. It was an interesting round, probably my most lopsided one in terms of nines, with nines of 48-39.

On the front nine, I surprisingly hit the ball well, but once I got around 100 yards, I went to pieces. A triple bogey from 70 yards (laying two) on the par-5 second hole. A double from 120 on the sixth. Same on the eighth. Then I four-putted the ninth from 12 feet for triple, missing two three-footers in a row.

I got my first GIR on the 11th and two-putted for par. Then I hit my drive so far on the twelfth that I had just a pitch shot in (330 from whites). Hit that on and barely missed my birdie putt. I played holes 13-17 at +3, then birdied 18.

One interesting thing was that through twelve holes, I had hit every fairway (ten total). Then I missed three out of the last four (the other two holes were the par-3s). Putting and short game were horrible on the front (21 putts), but I redeemed myself on the back (16 putts). Starting this coming week, the team is meeting at the course to play every Wednesday afternoon at 3:00, and I feel my game is solid.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

My new goal is to  break 60 at a local 18 hole par 3 course (par 54. Tiny, beaten up crowned greens, ankle high rough if you miss the green. Longest hole is a 9 iron.....) Playing that little course has really helped me dial in my short game.

Played Friday with two buddies.  They need a cart so it was cold.  Despite the marginal weather (40 degrees, 10 mph and overcast), we had a decent time.  We teed off at 9:30 as there was no frost and beat the mob.  Had to skip a hole to get around a slothful foursome who refused to recognize reality.  Shot a 79 (9.9 differential if we were in season - bogey for the unplayed hole), which I consider a good round considering the very soggy course

This could be my last round of 2020.  The days end early, with sunset at 5:03 pm right now.  Add frost delays in the morning and the time window for playing 18 holes on a jammed course has become very small.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

This could be my last round of 2020. 

What?  I thought you were going to continue the challenge of playing each month.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

What?  I thought you were going to continue the challenge of playing each month.

The latest forecast for our area is 4-8 inches of snow starting Monday evening.  I will play once the snow clears and the ground is not frozen.  But realistically that may not occur for some time.  Clubs will be in the basement, awaiting better conditions.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Treated my niece's husband to a round of golf at the local course yesterday.  Weather started off mid-50's, air really heavy as light rain was to come thru about mid-round and the ball just did not seem to fly off the sticks.  Rain did happen just as predicted, did not affect the course except rolling the ball on the greens - "rooster tails" anyone?  Wound up shooting a flat 100.  Too many doubles (8) along with a triple and quad!  This could have easily been a much, much better round.  The issue yesterday - I was hitting fat, all the bad shots where the results of fatness. What changed?  I opted to use my throw together set that I rarely hit with, instead of my usual irons.  I really believe it made that much difference between where the drive ended and the putter begins.  Back to the regular irons.  By the way my nephew in law shot 109 on "borrowed" clubs (pulled from my spares that I knew would match up pretty well with the lofts he normally plays) and he had a blast.  Next summer when they are down again, I am sure he will have his own clubs and it will be game on.....   

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

9 hours ago, Esox said:

My new goal is to  break 60 at a local 18 hole par 3 course (par 54. Tiny, beaten up crowned greens, ankle high rough if you miss the green. Longest hole is a 9 iron.....) Playing that little course has really helped me dial in my short game.

Never played a par 3 course.  Thinking the nearest one is almost 2 hours away from the last time I checked.  Can see where this would keep your short game honed in.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Shot an 86 today, with 13 GIR/nGIR, 29 putts, and 2 penalty strokes. Only carried 8 clubs today (Driver, 3-hybrid, 5/7/9-iron, 50/60 degree wedge, putter), so hit a lot of partial shots, which I enjoyed.

Overall golf was very solid, but I had two bad holes where I was +7.

First one was on #1, where I blocked my drive down the right side, bounced off a cart path into the ether, so dropped with a 2 stroke penalty. Then my approach (4th stroke) got rejected by a branch, and 5th shot was over the green. Pitch on and 2 putts for an 8 (+4).

Second one was on the par-3 7th. Another block, this time with 5-iron, also caught a cart path and bounced about 30 yards past the green. Rushed my 2nd shot since I was standing in the playing line of golfers on another hole and came up well short. Another pitch landed short, and finally a pitch onto the green and 2 putts for a 6 (+3).

Finished the round with a hole out for eagle on the 18th which made the round very satisfying overall.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

97, 51/46 with a 10 on a par five on the front (3 water balls). First time playing this course, Maccasin Run in PA. Beautiful track. Absolutely pristine.  Grass everywhere even in the rough. Leaves cleared off. Tightly mown. No excusses for hitting a bad shot.  Weather low 50s with a slight breeze.