IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Finally played a decent round today. I have been struggling lately big time, and I felt like I was going to finally break out of this slump. I played pretty well yesterday with an even par 72, so I knew things were getting better. I switched to a left hand low putting grip and it helped me get some putts on line. I didn't putt lights out by any means, but I finally made some of those 4 footers I have been really having a hard time with lately. Here's the round on Shot Scope.1240297863_ScreenShot2022-07-04at3_48_07PM.thumb.png.cb50c02aec2bfef88f55ea1ce95cbd3e.pngIMG_0021.thumb.PNG.26d452f34d986c9d48f00cf3b474c6f9.PNGIMG_0022.thumb.PNG.859e79b8cf48a57f808360d6c460dcc9.PNG

• Thumbs Up 3

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A young story and an old story!  Yesterday I played Pinehurst #6. A foursome was scheduled but only two of us showed up. I knew one person and the other was a father and daughter. Well only the daughter showed and off we went.  So.  I was 50 years older than her, she is 17 and a very good golfer. She’s off to Norte Dame on a golf scholarship next year after she completes high school. She’s a +2 HDCP.

So off we go, she’s playing a hybrid set of tees I’m playing White tees. She hits it straight and decently long for her age.  We are both even thru 3 holes until I make a double on the 4th hole. By the time we finish the front I’m 2 over and she’s 1 over. Back nine I had 1 birdie, 2 bogey’s and the rest were pars for a 75. She shoots 34 on the back with 3 birdies, two were back to back.  A71 for her.  She will be playing in the Woman’s  North South here next week and the Junior as well.  She has no desire to become a Pro Golfer, she is going to Medical School to become an Anesthesiologist.  Impressive I thought!

Todays old story…played with two old guys, one is 85 but plays ok and the other was 79. I’m the young guy at 67.  What a comedy!  I could tell immediately they play a lot together as the ribbing never stopped.  I quickly learned to stay alert as their shots started going everywhere!  Then the 85 year old guy gets the shanks! Never seen it so bad and I’ve had them a few times but never like this. The other guy played a very military game with shots left, right, left and so one. The on the 9th hole the 79 year old left a club on the previous hole and left to get it. Then the 85 year old checks his bag and the lost club is in it. Off he goes to get the other guy. They return eventually as the 1st guy went two holes back searching for his club. I’m in the fairway on the 10th hole waiting and here they come.  So then the 79 year old turns his cart steering wheel tightly to turn around and somehow gets the tow hook caught over the right front wheel axle rod so now the cart can only go in a circle!  It took about 15 minutes to figure that out! We fixed it using one of his irons to pull the tow hook loose! What next I thought.  We finally finished. The good news there was we finished in 2hrs 40min!

Happy 4th!

It’s hot and humid!  My last three rounds were on #2 following the finals of the North South Championship on 7/3. For those of you who have played here you know #2 is all about the greens.  T the greens that day were faster than ever. To top it off I’d say 75% of the pins were located on corners of the greens. I would guess they were running about 13-14 on the stimpmeter.  I putted off the green 3X!  Crazy.  Sill managed an 80.  The two finalists shot 64 and 67 playing at par 70, at 7,209 yards. Impressive! 

Then yesterday and today I played #4. Went out early today at 7:10. It was 74 and humid with a feels like of 83.  It only got hotter!  We did play in 3hrs 15min. I joked we played fast to get out of the heat!  Soaking wet after play, but I guess you could say I was soaking wet after 7 holes!  Today was another 76, going 38/38. Same as yesterday but went 37/39.

Statistics were close, 71% of fairways compared to 79% today. GIR were 44% and 50% today. Putting was 31 today and 29 yesterday. One birdie each round.

Going out again tomorrow on #4 again.  Who knows?

87 at Minnesott today (43 front / 44 back).  Played the front solo (course was super busy so it was a lot of start - stop “, never a flow).  Only one dbl one the front with five bogies and three pars.  At the turn a couple guys ahead were waiting for the newbie foursome to get down the fairway.  Asked if I wanted to join, figured why not at least I will have someone to chat with.  Played the back pretty consistent as well with only one dbl with six bogies and two pars. Would have been identical if not for the pole rattle dead center putt on 18.  Had a total of 4 GIR and 7nGIR.  Putting a little better with 34 total putts.  Three of the pars were up and downs.  Best part of the round was making a couple of new friends.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Score: 99

GIR: 3

FIR: 5/15

Penalties: 8

Played a course that I never played before about 90 minutes away called the Golf Club of Equinox in Vermont and shot a 99 which I wasn't too unhappy about.  The good: I feel like I'm still striking the ball well overall and my putting, although first putts left them longer than I wanted most of the time, I made most of my 5-10 footers.  The bad: The drive must have taken a bit out of me because it took me a while to get off the tee.  First hole I miss-hit driver and tugged it left 100 yards, and the second hole pulled left, OB.  So, I was pressing and it wasn't until a few holes in that I was able to get along with my driver.  The worse bad, 8 penalties, 5 of them off the tee, and 2 on the second to last hole where I tugged both a 3W and a 3H left into these two sets of trees 100 yards away with a flower garden underneath and where I couldn't find either ball.  Besides that hole and the aforementioned second hole, the others were:

• Third hole, trying too hard off the tee and came OOT and put my tee shot into the woods on the right.
  • Fifth hole, after I split the fairway with a 3H, on a downhill lie, I skulled a SW into the woods behind the green.
  • Seventh hole, taking the advice of a course regular, I didn't hit driver on this par 5 (because he said I could take get there in two without driver and there was a berm in front of the road that cut across the hole) and went with 3H, miss-hit it so badly that I only advanced it 100 yards.  Second shot I hit 4H onto the berm, and then on my third shot I didn't control the face and pushed a 5I into the woods.  The course only had one par 5 on each side and putting up a 9 here hurt a lot.
  • I played the back alone and on the 12 hole after finding my driver and hitting it 250+ on holes 10 and 11, I saw a narrow fairway and decided to play it safe by hitting a 3W.  I almost always have a left to right ball flight with my 3W and so I aimed it to start along the edge of a row of bunkers on the left side of the hole, but this time I tugged it a bit and the ball flight was straight and it landed in one of the bunkers.  I thought I was playing it smart as the green was guarded by a bunker on the front so I pulled an 8I which I figured would be short of the green and then I'll chip on, however, I (again) miss-hit it and pushed it to the right into the woods.  Funny enough, I dropped there, hit an 8I again and put it right on the green. *shrug*
  • 15th hole, this one upset me.  Par 5, the hole starts straight, then about 200 yards in the fairway goes 45 degrees to the left where the right side is lined with some high grass for 50 yards and the straightens out again.  My start line went over the left edge of the high grass and I thought (because I didn't check to see the layout of the hole beforehand), that instead of straightening out, that it curved back to the right.  So the ball ended up in the high grass which left me with an unplayable lie but was able to hit a nice 4H onto the green and limit the damage to a bogey.

So, overall, my ballstriking was about what it's been this year which is MUCH better than it has ever been, and I actually, except for the 15th hole, really thought about my approach shots a bit more rather than just "saying X distance, Y club" like I normally do.  Anyway, scorecard below.  Unfortunately I don't think I'll be playing again for a bit as I'm likely caddying this weekend but feeling good about things overall and under 100, on an unfamiliar course, is better than I would have anticipated, certainly in years back, with 8 penalty strokes.

2022-07-04 Equinox Round.jpg

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

13 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Score: 99

, with 8 penalty strokes.

Those penalties are really score killers. 

Good job, though. Hopefully it was also a good time. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Those penalties are really score killers. 

Good job, though. Hopefully it was also a good time. 

Yeah, but most were avoidable if i didn't have my head up my keister. 😂

Got it as a hot deal on GN for $40 so was worth it.  It's normally $90 so even though it was scenic and the course was in good condition (it's a resort so I'm not surprised) the drive and the fact it only has two par 5's will likely mean i won't be playing it again anytime soon, if ever.

But i had a blast! 😁

Did you play yesterday?

Christian

10 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Yeah, but most were avoidable if i didn't have my head up my keister. 😂

Got it as a hot deal on GN for $40 so was worth it.  It's normally $90 so even though it was scenic and the course was in good condition (it's a resort so I'm not surprised) the drive and the fact it only has two par 5's will likely mean i won't be playing it again anytime soon, if ever.

But i had a blast! 😁

Did you play yesterday?

I did not. I've been buried lately. All kinds of stuff. Some personal, some work stuff. This was what we call a crazy quarter for work. 

Now, that's over. So, I'm going to play more. 

So far, I actually played way more in April than in the rest of the year combined. That needs to change. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

18 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I did not. I've been buried lately. All kinds of stuff. Some personal, some work stuff. This was what we call a crazy quarter for work. 

Now, that's over. So, I'm going to play more. 

So far, I actually played way more in April than in the rest of the year combined. That needs to change. 

Yeah, my busy season at work ran unexpectedly later into the year but it should be over now so even though I've only played like the or four rounds this year, hoping to massively increase that figure.

Hope things get better for you soon!

• Thumbs Up 1

Christian

Played Umstead with my brother again today. 

I shot 40-42 for a solid 82. The front was consistent, four bogeys and five pars. A par on the par-5 ninth was a bit disappointing since I was on the fringe in two with about a 15-footer for eagle, but it is what it is.

On the back I made two doubles on 15 (jail on approach shot) and 16 (drive hooked OB) but otherwise solid: five pars and two bogeys. So I was able to keep huge numbers off the card for the most part. It was a fun day.

My brother also reached a milestone today: he went 46-43 for 89 and broke 90 for the first time! He only had one really bad hole (tripled 5), and a birdie on 10 jumpstarted him. It was fun to watch!

I’m playing Hillandale with a buddy tomorrow morning, so stay tuned! 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Shot an even par, personal best of 70 on July 4th, which lowered my index by 0.8. Three birds and a double bogey on the front. One bird and two bogies on the back. Bogied the last hole 🙁

Today I played Hillandale with one of the guys from work, and we had an early tee time (8:51).

On the front I shot 39, solid golf but nothing super interesting apart from the par-3 seventh hole, where after a horrible tee shot that left me shortsided I hit one of the greatest flop shots of my life to within two feet for the par save. I also had the no-sixes streak going.

The back was slightly more interesting. I saved bogey on 12 after I hooked a drive OB, and took advantage of having a 6 iron into the short par-5 14th and made birdie. The other seven holes were four pars and three bogeys, which added up to another 39. So 39-39 for 78! Granted, we were playing the whites, but it still feels good to put up a number in the 70s.

Honestly, today’s golf was of the “boring” variety apart from the few holes I mentioned. Thanks to the save on 12 and a rock solid short game I was able to keep everything to a bogey or better, and because I didn’t bogey a par 5 that also means I knocked out the no sixes challenge! I’ll put my hole by hole scores in the achievements thread.

My index has also dropped significantly in the last two rounds, from an 11.5 before yesterday’s round to a (pending) 10.6 after today. Hopefully I can carry that momentum into when we play down at the beach next week!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Played today and shot a 92. 44/48

4/14 FIR

3 GIR

3 Penalty Strokes

3 Three-putts

Yes, I made some bad shots, and I made some good shots. I shot 44 on the front which was where the three-putts occurred, and they were where I just missed the hole. So three strokes given to the course. 

The 3 penalty strokes: The back 9. 10th hole, I hit my 2nd shot into the water and still managed a bogey. Instead of going for it, the smarter play would have been to lay up to the water and hit the wedge shot onto the green. I was at the limit of my 5H. The 4H would have been too long. That would have given me a good shot at par. The 11th, I duffed my tee shot with my 5W - It's a dogleg and if I get hold of my drive i can end up in a bad place. Well I ended up in a really bad place and my ball disappeared in the tall fescue in front of the tee box. I took S&D and re-teed. Hence a 7 on the hole. I ended up with a 48 on the back 9. That's 3 more strokes given to the course.

On a positive note, my driver distance is increasing and I can keep it in play more. I'm getting better hitting the 27 degree hybrid for chipping. and holed out one today. And I'm very good at hitting out of the trees.

And considering all the drama this morning, the 44 on the front 9 was a miracle in itself despite the 3-putts. On the back 9, around the 15th hole my back started getting stiff. I need to remember to take a couple Advil around 11. Getting old sucks but it's better than the alternative.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Kinda fell out of love with golf. Had been struggling and then I injured my thumb to point I couldn’t play if I had wanted. Played an outing on 5/27 and didn’t hit a ball until Wed 7/6. 

lowered my expectations. Hit the ball better than I really thought I would. Slow start with a +6 through 5 holes. Hit one out of play off the tee at 3 and took a double. Had a flubbed chip on 1. At 6 my swing started coming back. Par at 6-7. 3 putt at 8 but at least had a GIR. 9-10 solid pars. Lost one in water at 11 and made a bogey but bounced back with a par at 12. Terrible double at 13 but par at 15-16. Hit my best drive of the year at 16. Ended up playing the last 12 at 5 over after the bad start. It’s something to build on and 81 was better than I expected after the break.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

77 at Firestone Farms 

Just steady all day. I don’t think I missed a green with a 8 iron or less in hand. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yesterday, I shot a 93, punctuated with my only GIR coming from a pitch on the par-5 18th.  I made a total of two pars.  Despite this, I had under the 10 hcp marker for strokes gained: approach.  You can guess my SG:SG for the round, which included two short game shots -- not long ones, either -- hitting trees. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I had another good round this morning shooting 69 with 15 GIR. I am guardedly optimistic that I may have busted out of the nasty slump I have been in most of the spring and summer. Ball striking was really good, and I gave myself a lot of good looks at birdie. Putting wasn't great, but wasn't a liability either. No 3 putts and I made everything 5 feet and under. Things are looking up!

IMG_0037.thumb.PNG.c5f4f732c31a0cc05c47eb9088a2fdf7.PNGIMG_0038.thumb.PNG.c5bbff46be79fc60cd5da8802ae56768.PNG1792930937_ScreenShot2022-07-08at10_54_07PM.thumb.png.f8defc25b7c90642565228ae2c21d12c.png

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1