IGNORED

What is your favorite Tiger Wood's Golfing Moment?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golf.com/video/david-feherty-my-favorite-tiger-woods-moment

It is interesting that Feherty picks a whole round as his favorite moment. I was thinking back. The moment that stands out to me the most, and is the first one to come to mind is Tiger at Augusta chipping in for birdie on #16. Just the atmosphere at the time. It's one of those times where you sense something was going to happen. 

All I know is I would have probably skulked that ball across the green :) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My fav TW moment is when he pull hooked his drive and held a nice looking finish, but when he saw it was off the map all of a sudden he had a back spasm.

Or, how about recruiting a team of guys to move the 500lb loose impediment boulder?

dak4n6

The first one that comes to mind, that  I remember,  was a shot he hit out of a fairway bunker. I don't remember where, or when, but the ball crossed over some trees, over a large water hazard, to a smallish green. The shot was well over 200 yards, with most of that needing to be carry. 

The tv folks followed the shot in the air from start to finish. It seemed like the ball was in the air fror several minutes.

There some other "moments" I remember, but they are not really golf related. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

At Arnie's Bay Hill Tournament where he had a long putt on the 72nd hole to win the tournament and he made it, and then slammed his hat to the ground.  You just knew he was going to make it - at his peak the best golfer I have ever seen.

16th at Augusta.  I've watched it 100 times and will 100 more.  Greatly enhanced by Lundquist's commentary.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

One that always stands out in my mind is from very early in his career - January 12, 1997 to be exact.  This is the first tournament of Tigers first full season on tour, 3 months before he'd win his first major.  He made 11 starts in 1996, winning twice, and we were just starting to see what he was capable of.

The final round of the TOC in 1997, back when it was still being played at La Costa, was cancelled due to rain.  Tiger and Tom Lehman had finished the third round tied for the lead so the PGA Tour decided to have them playoff in the rain at the par 3 7th hole to decide the winner.  It's a medium length hole with a pond on the left, the pin pushed over towards the pond, and the wind blowing that way as well.  Lehman had the honor, and with his only shot of the day, hooked it into the middle of the pond.  Afterwards, the announcers have this exchange:

Curtis Strange: "Well I think the one thing you can GUARANTEE now is that - Tiger - his ball will be 20 or 30 yards to the right of the pin. Don't you think Peter Alliss?"

Peter Alliss: "Well if he follows him into the water he needs a bottom smacking."

then a little more conservative talk ending with Peter declaring: "One good straight shot, middle of the green, and two putts will make him the champ."

Here's the video and I'm trying to start it at the right point, but if it doesn't work, just skip to 14:55 for the important sequence:

One of his early goosebump inspiring moments, IMO. :)

• Upvote 4

When he won his first Masters. Back then, there was nothing like him never seen before. No one swung the club as ferociously or with reckless abandon while being accurate, especially those recovery shots. His resilience from an awful front 9 in the first round and then he started to lap the field, everyone was in awe.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 hours ago, Patch said:

The first one that comes to mind, that  I remember,  was a shot he hit out of a fairway bunker. I don't remember where, or when, but the ball crossed over some trees, over a large water hazard, to a smallish green. The shot was well over 200 yards, with most of that needing to be carry. 

The tv folks followed the shot in the air from start to finish. It seemed like the ball was in the air fror several minutes.

There some other "moments" I remember, but they are not really golf related. 

Pretty sure that was the six iron at the Canadian Open.

Colin P.

2000 British Open to not find 1 bunker all tournament truly amazing and the (3 wood on the 14 par 5 day 3 i think) one of the best shots ive ever seen

Edited by JJ35

It was the time I saw him live at the 2009 BMW championship at Cog Hill when he shot a 63 I think it was. I went with my son and he wanted to follow him for the day so,we did. It was amazing the way he dominated the course.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

My favorite was at the Memorial in 2012. Tiger was behind the green, and hit and holed a ridiculously hard flop shot. One of my favorite moments in golf ever; seeing him play like that, after two years of essentially nothing, was thrilling. 

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

7 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

One that always stands out in my mind is from very early in his career - January 12, 1997 to be exact.  This is the first tournament of Tigers first full season on tour, 3 months before he'd win his first major.  He made 11 starts in 1996, winning twice, and we were just starting to see what he was capable of.

The final round of the TOC in 1997, back when it was still being played at La Costa, was cancelled due to rain.  Tiger and Tom Lehman had finished the third round tied for the lead so the PGA Tour decided to have them playoff in the rain at the par 3 7th hole to decide the winner.  It's a medium length hole with a pond on the left, the pin pushed over towards the pond, and the wind blowing that way as well.  Lehman had the honor, and with his only shot of the day, hooked it into the middle of the pond.  Afterwards, the announcers have this exchange:

Curtis Strange: "Well I think the one thing you can GUARANTEE now is that - Tiger - his ball will be 20 or 30 yards to the right of the pin. Don't you think Peter Alliss?"

Peter Alliss: "Well if he follows him into the water he needs a bottom smacking."

then a little more conservative talk ending with Peter declaring: "One good straight shot, middle of the green, and two putts will make him the champ."

Here's the video and I'm trying to start it at the right point, but if it doesn't work, just skip to 14:55 for the important sequence:

One of his early goosebump inspiring moments, IMO. :)

I consider myself a hardcore Tiger fanboy, but I'm ashamed to say I've never seen this. (Well, I might have seen the outcome of the shot in some montage, but I definitely haven't seen the whole setup, and I don't remember the situation.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2001 Masters - Tee shot - 72nd hole.  I'll never forget how far up he hit it, nor how confident he looked when they zoomed in on his face. Nor the little flip of a wedge he was left with. 

Close 2nd-

2000 US Open - 2nd shot - #6 (I think it was Friday). That may have been when Maltbie said "it's just not a fair fight". He was right. 

Those would answer the "favorite" question. If the question is about most memorable, then the chip on 16 at the masters. I was in Myrtle Beach with my first wife and uncle. He and I had played earlier that day and had 2-3 more days left on the trip to play. It was one of the last rounds I ever played with him. But we were in their room, watching out on the balcony overlooking the Atlantic. When the ball toppled in, all 4 of us got airborne. Even my first wife, who wasn't a golf fan to say the least. 

Edited by minitour

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I consider myself a hardcore Tiger fanboy, but I'm ashamed to say I've never seen this. (Well, I might have seen the outcome of the shot in some montage, but I definitely haven't seen the whole setup, and I don't remember the situation.)

In fairness to you, though, you were about 5 years old or so at the time. ;)

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

In fairness to you, though, you were about 5 years old or so at the time. ;)

Ah, that explains a lot.  GTK

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

15 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

My fav TW moment is when he pull hooked his drive and held a nice looking finish, but when he saw it was off the map all of a sudden he had a back spasm.

Or, how about recruiting a team of guys to move the 500lb loose impediment boulder?

I'm with you, buddy. I know we're in the minority here, but I've never liked TW. There's no question that he's one of the best ever to play the game, but character also counts in my book.  

• Upvote 1

This one just for the moment and what Tiger brought to the game of golf. This kind of crowd and atmosphere usually seen at soccer matches, baseball, tennis etc..

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!