IGNORED

SI Article on Tiger Woods

pecos24
Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

My next door neighbor isn't worth half a billion dollars and recovering from back surgery which requires rest and little activity. What, should he get a job telemarketing to pass the time? :-P 

But you're dodging (or missing) the point. If Tiger is the great father and family man that many claim...and he's unable to play or practice...why isn't he spending a good part of the day with his kids? That's why I find so mind-boggling his acknowledgement that he was "killing much of the day playing video games". If you want to keep making excuses for him, knock yourself out, but TW is making himself look bad by his own comments.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

48 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Let's hope you never have to deal with a back problem.

I harbor no bad feelings for TW. I hope he can recover.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

34 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

But you're dodging (or missing) the point. If Tiger is the great father and family man that many claim...and he's unable to play or practice...why isn't he spending a good part of the day with his kids? That's why I find so mind-boggling his acknowledgement that he was "killing much of the day playing video games". If you want to keep making excuses for him, knock yourself out, but TW is making himself look bad by his own comments.

a) He's presumably only got the kids half the time.

b) The story he told in either a press conference or interview recently where he threw his back out and was laying out in his backyard, he was putting with his son. So it's not like he was neglecting them.

c) Kids ****ing love video games!

d) Exaggeration? Self deprecation?

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

20 hours ago, Pendragon said:

For starters, how about spending time with his kids?

And you know he isn't,  HOW??  You have no idea how he lives his life, how much the kids are at his house he is divorced, you know), how much pain various types of movement cause him, etc., yet you make free to criticize him.  Maybe he is playing those video games WITH his kids - it may be the only activity he can do with them that doesn't involve pain.  I don't know.  Nether do you.

Sure comes across as fair and objective.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

20 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I harbor no bad feelings for TW. I hope he can recover.

I don't doubt it.  My point was that you seemed to have little notion of the ways back problems can be debilitating one moment and fine the next.  Back problems are very mercurial in the way they affect people's activities.  And that I hope you never have to find out the hard way.  That is not a lesson you want karma to give you.

Rich - in name only

13 hours ago, turtleback said:

And you know he isn't,  HOW??  You have no idea how he lives his life, how much the kids are at his house he is divorced, you know), how much pain various types of movement cause him, etc., yet you make free to criticize him.  Maybe he is playing those video games WITH his kids - it may be the only activity he can do with them that doesn't involve pain.  I don't know.  Nether do you.

Sure comes across as fair and objective.

Your feigned indignation is laughable. Maybe he is playing video games with his kids... but maybe he's not. From his comments from the SI piece, it doesn't sound like he's on the XBox (or whatever) with the kids, but you're quick to give him the benefit of the doubt no matter what. Are you fair and objective? Doesn't sound like it.  

4 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Your feigned indignation is laughable. Maybe he is playing video games with his kids... but maybe he's not. From his comments from the SI piece, it doesn't sound like he's on the XBox (or whatever) with the kids, but you're quick to give him the benefit of the doubt no matter what. Are you fair and objective? Doesn't sound like it.  

As is your misplaced outrage. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Except I admit I am a fan while you pretend you are not a detractor.

Rich - in name only

Oy, feigned indignation and misplaced outrage.  Who knew that Tiger could be just as divisive as Mr. Trump?

I've never been a fan of Tiger, but if he can return to being competitive it would bring significant additional excitement to the game.  Sadly, at this stage I haven't seen or read anything that makes me optimistic that he'll be back and competitive any time soon.  In fact, many of the sound bites make me wonder if he can regain the work ethic and motivation to do what he'll need to do to be competitive again.  Even so, I'm for his game to return to the point where I can root for the "other guys"  on the golf course again.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 4/3/2016 at 11:36 AM, gregsandiego said:

Design golf courses?
Arrange golf charity events?
Something career related?

On 4/3/2016 at 11:53 AM, gregsandiego said:

I don't think Tiger is in that much pain right now. There is a recent twitter post with him practicing his swing on his home simulator.

Why is this of concern to you, anyway?  As far as I'm concerned, Tiger can do whatever he feels up to doing.  He's worked his ass off his whole life on golf.  Maybe he's finding out that there actually is a life separate from golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 4/3/2016 at 0:10 AM, Pendragon said:

Recovery periods or not, what's a 40-year-old father of two doing, by his own admission, "killing much of the day playing video games"? If your next-door neighbor was doing the same thing, you'd be calling him a loser. Guess it's all in your perception, huh? 

You appear to have taken a throwaway line, possibly said in jest and used it as an opportunity to get on your high horse.  Does anyone know the type of parent Tiger is, no, and based on Tiger's guarded nature, we probably never will.

I think it's tough when you're one of the best in your sport and you know people are just waiting / hoping for you to fail.  Tiger has / had a lot of fans but he also has a lot of detractors.  Some disliked him for his skin color, some because he threatened Jacks record, others didn't like his attitude and they all were happy when Elin hit him with his golf club because he cheated on her during their marriage.  

His road back has been painful, not just from injuries but from the constant spotlight that shines on him to fail.  He has plenty of money, a great relationship with his kids and he seems to have accepted he won't break Jack's record, so what is his motivation to come back?  I doubt it's to provide the media and golf commentators more ammo to take cheap shots with or offer up more content for someone close to him to write a tell all book?  

I'm a Tiger fan, I'd like to see him come back healthy, win a few more Majors and retire on top of the game the way someone with his talent should.  While I enjoy watching golf a lot no one has come close to the excitement of Tiger when he was on top of his game.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Admittedly, we love to put people on pedestals and then knock them off! But, a lot of Tiger's downfall in public perception, other than his physical injuries, is due to no one else than Tiger himself!

If he's rattling around in a $60 Mill mansion all by himself, that's on him! He was married to, basically, a super model, had two kids with her, and still couldn't keep it in his pants! What the hell is wrong with him? Chasing after Denny's waitresses at 4 in the morning? Sounds like a long night of drinking and some poor judgement to me!

I was a Tiger fan until all that went down! And I'm not willing to forgive. When you've given yourself to a woman that doesn't mean you can't look. Just means you can't touch!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, turtleback said:

Except I admit I am a fan while you pretend you are not a detractor.

What? You're losing me now. Where and when have I ever pretended to not be a detractor? I'm happy to be able to point out Woods' flaws any time I can. I respect his ability as a great player...well, at least he was a great player...but he hasn't shown himself to be very likeable. I can't root for someone I don't like.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Admittedly, we love to put people on pedestals and then knock them off! But, a lot of Tiger's downfall in public perception, other than his physical injuries, is due to no one else than Tiger himself!

If he's rattling around in a $60 Mill mansion all by himself, that's on him! He was married to, basically, a super model, had two kids with her, and still couldn't keep it in his pants! What the hell is wrong with him? Chasing after Denny's waitresses at 4 in the morning? Sounds like a long night of drinking and some poor judgement to me!

I was a Tiger fan until all that went down! And I'm not willing to forgive. When you've given yourself to a woman that doesn't mean you can't look. Just means you can't touch!

We're on the same page. Tiger showed his true colors in the months (and probably years) leading up to that fateful Thanksgiving night in 2009. Most here seem to worship the ground he walks on, which is really kinda scary. To them I guess we're seen as haters, but I think we're just not naive enough to not buy into the Tiger hype.  

• Administrator
On April 6, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Pendragon said:

We're on the same page. Tiger showed his true colors in the months (and probably years) leading up to that fateful Thanksgiving night in 2009. Most here seem to worship the ground he walks on, which is really kinda scary. To them I guess we're seen as haters, but I think we're just not naive enough to not buy into the Tiger hype.  

I think most here simply don't care about his off-course stuff. We're fans of Tiger Woods as a golfer.

If you've never committed a sin or whatever you want to say in your life, hey, throw all the stones you like. Tiger Woods off-the-course stuff didn't affect me or anyone I care about in the slightest.

What do you think of Arnold Palmer? Tom Watson?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/5/2016 at 0:47 AM, Pendragon said:

but you're quick to give him the benefit of the doubt no matter what. Are you fair and objective? Doesn't sound like it.  

I think giving someone the benefit of the doubt is the definition of "fair and objective"....

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I think most here simply don't care about his off-course stuff. We're fans of Tiger Woods as a golfer.

If you've never committed a sin or whatever you want to say in your life, hey, throw all the stones you like. Tiger Woods off-the-course stuff didn't affect me or anyone I care about in the slightest.

What do you think of Arnold Palmer? Tom Watson?

Honestly, I tend to give Palmer and Watson a pass because they're good guys. Tiger isn't. Frankly, I'd have been much more understanding of Tiger after the Thanksgiving night 2009 if his PR team hadn't been working overtime in the months leading up to it trying to convince us all what a loving husband and father he was...and then, after the incident, they stonewalled the police so the real details never came out. If you're going to do what Tiger did, at least be man enough to own up to it and accept the consequences.

As far as being a fan of TW only as a golfer, I just can't do that. I can't root for somebody to succeed in a sport, or business, or whatever, if I don't like them as a person. Just as I don't root for Tiger, I also don't root for the likes of John Daly, Michael Vick, Ndamukong Suh, Alex Rodriguez, and Lebron James, among others. There's a reason that Tiger Woods is included in every "Most Hated" list that's come out in at least the past 7 or 8 years...he's just not a likeable guy. 

Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!